• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mixed messages in bonding help needed-please

dustybun

New Kit
Hi

I am trying to bond my female house rabbit with a rescued male. They have both been fixed and are about 3. She had a companion who died 3 weeks ago and he has been on his own.
When the rescue centre came with him they let him go in her room. They ignored each other until he went in her litter tray then she went for him but he ran into the pen I had prepared and she did not follow. I did not think this was the best way to introduce but went along. I left him in the pen for 2 days then tried her in there with him which I know now was was stupid. They seemed interested in each other but then she gave him a little nip and he mounted her aggressively really frightening her. I had to intervene and he had bitten her trying to hold on-raised but no blood.
I left it three days then tried them in the bath. Could not have gone better. She even gave him a couple of cursory licks. Even grooming and lying down near each other. She almost fell to sleep. Tried it again the next day. Went well so though I would try them on the landing. Went OK until she decided she had enough and went away . She was a bit nervous. He then chased her and I had to break them up as there was a scuffle that looked like it may turn bad. Back to bath next day. Both ignoring and really did not want to be there. Removed when he started thumping loudly-do not think he was scared of her just did not want to be there. Next day bath again seemed fine but both seemed to get bored - did not try food I put in there-did not leave it too long. Next day bath-going fine, thought I would try them on floor in there. About 10 mins of each exploring mostly where the other one had been. She kept brushing past him but no nipping. She then went nose to nose and started grooming/nibbling , he just moved his head when it was a bit rough-still OK. She then went around the back and started to mount. This resulted in a fight where neither would back down, rolling on the floor big chunks of fur flying. Had to separate them. It was 50/50 and neither seemed traumatised by it.
I think there are positive signs and they are interested but neither will defer to other. He seems more laid back but retaliates fiercely when his boundaries are crossed. It makes it really difficult to read. This has led to a bite for her and a big lump of fur off one of them (not sure which as they are similar colours-he had loose fur, could not see any off her but it looked more like hers). She is now marking around the pen and going to him. turning her back then weeing. Next minute they are nose to nose. She goes up to the pen, seems to acknowledge him, turns her back then flops away from him.
As neither seems inclined to back down I do not know whether I should give up on it or try to build on positives. I think the last encounter would have got nasty if left. If they really disliked each other it would be easier to figure this out but it seems to be the mounting and wanting to be the boss that is the problem. He is also acting submissively then turning when she tries to assert herself.
The fur pulling went on when I intoduced her to her last companion but he ran off and kept out of her way for a bit and there was no real aggression. She also alternated the fur pulling with lots of licks. There were never any tussles like this, no mounting, biting or big chunks of fur.
Would you give up on this or keep trying?

Update= marking getting worse from her. Thought her going to the pen and lying near was positive now thinking it is just territorial. Seem to stand with backs to each other at boundary as well. Finding this stressful and do not want to start again if it is going nowhere.The four times other than in the tub has led to worrying incidents when they get near each other. She was so bonded to her last companion and I want that again for her. Not sure I am going to get it with these two though. I feel sorry for him as he had been outside in a cage on his own without much exercise prior to rescue. Just wonder if it is all too much for him as well. Feeling guilty either way. Bonding a free roam seems more complicated as well as most advice seems to centre on cages. At moment wishing I had never started it.

Last edited:
Not tried putting them together again yet. While she is still marking, it is not as bad, and on occasion there will be pleasant nose touching and asking for grooming through the bars. Freda is used to giving then receiving grooming with Fred (her previous companion) and is expecting it from him. It is a very safe testing hierarchy(the nose touching) and will look for it being a bit more equal before I try again and wait till the marking dies down a bit more. I have been letting Leon out on the landing and shutting Freda in the room. She seems to be tolerating the smell and there is no marking on the landing. I tried to swap litter trays this morning but he did not use hers so gave up on that one but may try again.
The fight was awful but I suppose neither got hurt other than an instance of bad fur pulling. I think it is on one level he is happier than he was, as the pen is much bigger than the cage he was in prior to rescue and he is given exercise time. They could be company even if if it is though the pen, but I do want a partner for her and the best for him. I will carry on a bit longer and go with my gut rather than guides or timescales. He is a good natured bun generally and does not even struggle when picked up! I think he would make a lovely pet and do not want to see him penned in for the majority of the time but I do not want to put my little princess Freda at risk of any harm.

Hiya.
What is needed here is a totally neutral area.Something small.
Somewhere the bunnies have never been.Perhaps a bathroom or a 3ft cage which has been cleaned out well with vinegar and nothing in it but hay.
Then the bonding should work better.A little chase.A little fur pulling maybe.My last bond had nothing at all.Theyre together now for just over 2 weeks.Doing really well.
You were right in thinking what the rescue did was wrong.Your doe is aware that somebun is in HER space.

I'd say you need to scrap everything and start again.

100% neutral territory, somewhere NO BUN has been before.

You'll need to neutralise the existing area with a white vinegar/water (50:50) mix to take the territory away from your existing bun.

You'll need a very small space to start with, ~2ft x 2ft to force the new buns to be close.

That;s a starting point - does that help?

Expect chasing, fur pulling and humping - all perfectly normal - be ready to seperate any real/severe fights or scrapping.

I did try them in the bathroom which is neutral. They were ok when I tried them in the tub but the time I tried them on the floor there was a rolling on their side, kicking and trying to bite type of fight which I stopped and have not tried since. She is free so there is no where neutral other than bathroom and could not confine her as she has never been confined. That is why I thought I could try the bunny date thing but have in a pen in her room where she has her stuff. I really would not trust him with her where I could not intervene immediately as has bitten her-breaking the skin but not bleeding. He would not let immediately go when I tried to separate them. Could leaving the pen in there with dates work or would they need to be in seperate rooms?

we only have the bath as a truly neutral area

but the bathroom has a slippery floor (which helps to stop them charging each other)

as mentioned in another thread I struggle to know the disctinctions and it would be good to get some rough classifications between :

nipping
scuffling
boxing
fighting
rolling around

and where each should be allowed/stopped.

It seems quite important and it would be so helpful if anyone was ever able to show some videos on it.
As first time bonders it really does feel like an awful lot of guess work for me & my girlfriend

(although the info on here is as always really appreciated)
and if it wasn't for RU I dread to think what would have happened if we'd freestyled the bonding process

I will neutralise the buns room as you say and try again with the again with the dating thing as you say. Someone suggested moving the furniture around as well...do you think that would help? The rugs I put in the washing machine is that enough? I can confine her to another room for a couple of hours while I do it and shift his run into my room. I will try the bath first and the bathroom floor again as soon as I think it is safe. I have seen the chasing and fur pulling before. The humping with him was aggressive and she struggling badly. He bit her to try to stop her escaping which she had done. The thing in the bathroom was fighting and a couple of big clumps that has bits of blood on the end. The fur pulling I have seen before was bits of loose fur but not like that. I think it had happened in an attempt to bite while rolling on the floor.

Just to clarify he is in a pen and which is in her room. She has access also to the landing and my room and the office only when I am there. I have only tried them on the dates in the bathroom. When I said I did not want to confine her I meant in a cage for a long period of time

Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited:
Gus-ta-furry how are you getting on as we seem to be having similar problems-though you are much further along?

getting there slowly, but a lack of neutral areas are making it really difficult
we are going to try the kitchen worktop surface :shock:
and a completely vinegered cage in the living room (the most non-neutral room) in the house (but with a blanket over the cage so they can't see out. the advantage being in the living room is that if things are going well we can take shifts in the comfort of the main room in our house

we have been doing 1 hour dates at the most (as the buns just get bored after that and nip) which leads to fighting (every time), still don't know what quantifies each stage

but reckon after this weekend we should know if they are ready for the next stage or if we have to go back to the bath (again) :roll:

Body language

Hi I am trying to bond my dutch cross with a dwarf lop. Is it possible my male can't read the body language of a dwarf lop he's never had a wife with lop ears before?

Just to let you know, despite doing everything by the book, the new rabbit ended up biting Freda quite badly. I was supervising and managed to get him off right away, nevertheless he went through to the shoulder muscle and she had to have a small op. He has gone back and if I ever try again I will go off my instinct which was telling me this was not right

Back