• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Might be getting a pair!

Well, I'm pretty new here, and new to rabbits. I posted a few posts, and in one of them someone suggested that I should get 2 rabbits instead of one. I really like this idea, and my mom isn't opposed to it as long as I do all the work (thats how she is with all of my pets). I probably will get two young girls as I don't want to separate them for a few months before they get spayed or neutered (I don't have room for 2 cages either). I have a few questions for you about having more than one bunny in the same cage...
When you feed them, do you have to separate them so they don't eat eachother's food?
Do the bunnies show less affection to you than a single rabbit would?
Do I get them spayed together, or does it not matter... Also this is not a question about pairs of rabbits, but when do I get them spayed?

These are all I can think of right now...
Thanks,
Liz =)

Why don't you adopt? Then you could get a boy and girl (they would probably already be neutered) and you wouldn't have the expense or worry of having them done!

Yes, if you want two rabbits, then adopting is the way to go. Many rabbit rescues will either have pairs ready for adoption or will bond two rabbits for you.

If you get two young bunnies, they're not guaranteed to still like each other after they hit puberty. Sometimes you have to separate them before they get spayed because they're fighting, and they don't always rebond after their spays.

Plus, I highly recommend adult rabbits that are already spayed/neutered for first rabbits. Many people are surprised by how some rabbits' personalities change when they hit puberty- I know I was. Teenage buns can be difficult and frustrating to deal with, even when you know that it's only a matter of spaying and time.

As for your questions- I use one food bowl per pair. I haven't had problems with one rabbit bullying the other.

My only rabbit that shows less affection now than before she was bonded is my little princess bun, Mocha. She needs 24/7 love that I was unable to provide with just me and my hubby. He boyfriend Loki cuddles with her day and night, giving her the constant love she needs. So she doesn't beg for attention the entire time she's out now, but she still loves me. Loki, Fey, and Sprite all love me the same, with or without living with a bunny friend.

If you do get a pair of unspayed girls, then yes spay them together. I did that with Fey and Sprite and they helped each other heal. You'll need to talk to your vet about when you can spay them. Some won't spay before 6 months. My vet spayed Mocha at 4.5 months of age, but I think that depends on how mature they are. She's a dwarf breed that hit puberty at about 2.5 months, and her ovaries and uterus were fully developed when they were taken out.

From what iv read on here I think its difficult to bond two of the same sex,although not impossible,I have male and female pairs,and as the others have said if you take a pair in from a rescue they will be done :D
And already bonded :D

I have two bonded girls. :D I got them spayed at the same time and they were fine. I also feed them together and although there was a problem at feeding time acouple of months ago (ruby wouldn't let Millie eat :( ) that has been solved by spreading out the food and using treat balls. Now they eat side by side happily! :D I can't tell you about showing more affection as I only have my bonded girls so I don't know if a single rabbit would be more affectionate. From what I've heard single rabbits are more friendly as they bond with you instead of another bunny but bonded bunnies still show you affection and theres no better sight then two snuggly bunnies! :love:

Thank you =)
2 more questions if you don't mind...
Do you buy 2 separate litter boxes for two bunnies living together?
Also, what kind of litter do you use and how do you clean the litter box. (Yes I'm VERY new at this as you can probably tell... I've had dogs, guinea pigs, frogs, fish, and other small creatures but never bunnies :oops:) Do you just dump out the litter?

I have two litter boxes. I started with one but they kept going to the loo in two places so I have two now. I use woodshavings as litter, there are different finds such as carefresh which are more absorbant and less smelly but woodshavings work for me. I clean it out once a day, I scoop out all the soiled litter and poos and replace it with clean litter. Then every two days I completely empty the litter box, spray it with 'keep it clean' and then fill it up with fresh litter. :D

I have a small cat litter tray lined with newspaper and then filled with wood shavings (dust free :D ). Every other day I empty it in the bin, disinfect in (with a small animal disinfectant) and then refill it.

NB: TIP - make sure you put some hay either in the litter tray or that they can reach from the litter tray - bunnies love to munch and poop at the same time!! :lol:

Back