• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Metal rabbit run warning

Pixsmudge

Young Bun
Hey everyone, I know I'm not the only one who has a metal rabbit run and I wanted to share this story with you so you would remain constantly vigilant against foxes.

Firstly going to tell you my rabbits are fine, theres no death in this so please don't ready yourself to be upset. This happened in August and I was meant to post then but its taken time to cope with all this and put this into words.

I purchased a metal rabbit run about 5 months ago which was assembled and secured with tent pegs into the ground with locks on the doors to prevent them from being opened by other animals. Its cable tied and can't be collapsed in any way. My run has 2 little slide doors which I wired shut and 2 bolted doors..one on the top, and one on one of the short lengths of the side.

I plonked my lovely pair Titch and Berry in there so they could play and munch safely and sat with them til I really needed to have a wee (scuse the bluntness), so dashed in to relieve myself. I wasn't even gone 2 minutes when I heard screaming from my garden so I ran out as fast as I could and found a fox with Strawberry in its mouth by her back end. She's a large bunny and if it were any of my others I would've lost them, so in a strange way I'm lucky it was her...if that makes any sense. I screamed and this startled fox dropped her and ran off. She had no visible wounds of anything wrong she was obviously just very traumatised. I rushed her to the vet anyway to get her double checked and get something to protect her against any bacteria in this fox's mouth which could cause her a problem.

It appears in such a short space of time this fox managed to pull the door open so hard it pulled out to tent pegs and popped off the locks, my little dopey angel just hopped out and was instantly grabbed. I find this extremely difficult as I thought to this point I had done my utmost best to protect my bunnies against foxes but it obviously hasnt been good enough, particularly if the run was broken into so fast. Titch was also traumatised and ran straight into the bars wedging his face in tightly. Not only did I hear Berry scream that day but I also heard Titchy do it too.

I am crying as I write this because it still shocks me now. I am so thankful I was around. Even if I were upstairs any longer it could've been too late...if it were any other time when I was upstairs with my tv on or in my own world with my headphones in, if I simply couldn't hear, I would've lost my bunny. I keep thinking about how lucky we were and how frightening it all was. I can't imagine how Strawbs and Titch must've felt.

Please please please..If you have a metal rabbit run constantly stay with your bunnies when they're in it. This proves in 2 minutes it is easy for a fox to break in and kill your rabbits.

Make sure it is secured, I'd recommend some strong mesh/chicken wire lined on the inside of the run alongside the bars to prevent your rabbit from running into it and hurting themselves - Titch is a dwarf lop so isnt a tiny breed yet with enough force those bars will bend to accomodate a snout.

Secure your run to the ground and don't take any chances, use good locks that mean a fox can't pull the door far from the frame...although in this situation that didn't help me it is essential to make sure you take no chances.

This fox pulled the front bottom corner of the door very hard...I sat for ages trying to find a way as to how this happened and found if I pulled on this area hard enough it all just popped open and my security was nowhere near secure. After discussing this with some very clever rabbit people I know they were stunned and couldn't believe it had happened. They said it was a design flaw with the metal run and tried getting me to get in touch with the company and see if I could get anywhere. But I've been so wracked with guilt I just dropped it and wanted primarily everyone to know of the risks.

Do not underestimate foxes, they are extremely clever animals capable of adapting and problem solving. They are very persistent and they will not forget where they have seen rabbits...this fox keeps coming back and now brings his friends..
Whats safe will never be completely safe and the best thing is to just be constantly vigilant against them. They can climb high, squeeze through small spaces, chew through chicken wire.. and they're not afraid of people in the slightest.

Remember, it only takes 2 minutes

Oh gosh that must have been so frightening for you and the buns. :cry: Your buns were so lucky, thank God you were there. Thank you for sharing, this could save so many other bunnies. x

What a horrible ordeal for you and your bunnies. I'm so glad that they are OK.

Thank you for sharing your experience.

What a horrible experience. I'm amazed too to read your buns are OK, you are right, it was so lucky you were close by and able to act quickly.
Thanks for posting :wave:

So sorry to hear of your ordeal - and SOOOO glad your bunnies are ok!!

I have two of these runs (and by your description, I reckon have the exact one) but I have it opened as a fence across the garden, I don't think they're fantastically well designed either, rupert is able to open the slide bar locks from the other side of the 'fence' !!!

So glad they're safe!

I love foxes, I really do, but if they're hungry, they'll do anything :( Hope they stop visiting your garden and move on soon :( xx

Oh no I'm glad your buns are okay! I have one of these runs, with the door and the little slidey up hatches, luckily it's the grass run and doesn't get used during winter..and won't be used ever again!

how frightening...Im so glad your buns are ok...thankyou for sharing....we all think they will be ok - and Im sure under estimate how clever foxes (well - any animals thats hungry really) will be...such a scary event :(

Oh no!!! I am so glad your bunnies are ok!!!

I was going to get one of those as a connector from my shed to the run but i'm not so sure now! Love foxes but I love my bunnies too!!! :wave:

Hi, I know its about 3 years out, but I have just read this as it came up on google when I was searching for metal rabbit runs.

I'm glad you were there to scare the fox off. I have wooden ones with chicken wire, my dad built one, and the other was given to us, think its a pets at home one.
I don't know if I want to get a metal one now after reading this. As we leave ours out all day in the summer.
We've recently put wire across the bottoms of the runs too, as they like to dig and as we're in rented I don't really want huge holes in the garden lol!!

Hi, I know its about 3 years out, but I have just read this as it came up on google when I was searching for metal rabbit runs.

I'm glad you were there to scare the fox off. I have wooden ones with chicken wire, my dad built one, and the other was given to us, think its a pets at home one.
I don't know if I want to get a metal one now after reading this. As we leave ours out all day in the summer.
We've recently put wire across the bottoms of the runs too, as they like to dig and as we're in rented I don't really want huge holes in the garden lol!!

Weld mesh is the only real rabbit and fox proof option. Wise move putting wire underneath so no one can dig out or in.

Back