• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Metacam ingredients

keletkezes

Wise Old Thumper
I was wondering what the other ingredients in Metacam (1.5mg/ml for dogs) are:

SILICON DIOXIDE
SODIUM BENZOATE
SORBITOL
GLYCERIN
SACCHARIN SODIUM
XYLITOL
SODIUM PHOSPHATE, MONOBASIC, DIHYDRATE
CITRIC ACID MONOHYDRATE
HYDROXYETHYL CELLULOSE (2000 MPA.S AT 1%)
Erm, I thought xylitol was highly toxic in dogs?!

Probably due to the amount and concentration of Xylitol / ml

If the testing and licensing of all drugs is as vigorous as is claimed I doubt Metacam would have gotten through the process if it was toxic to the species it is aimed to treat.

Probably due to the amount and concentration of Xylitol / ml

If the testing and licensing of all drugs is as vigorous as is claimed I doubt Metacam would have gotten through the process if it was toxic to the species it is aimed to treat.
I expect so (I got this info from the US FDA which is at least as rigorous as UK IMO). There's posts online about not using human formulations for dogs because they (apparently) contain xylitol, so I expect the concentraitions in human are greater. Everywhere definitely says 'even tiny amounts' of xylitol are dangerous/fatal, but that info is aimed at the average Person on the Street. It was actually quite difficult to find the full ingredients in Metacam TBH. I don't know the 'route' of toxicity of xylitol either, if it's something that builds up or something that is 'dosage' fatal, I expect the latter given its use in longterm dog medication!

Just goes to show that information isn't always as 'straightforward' as one might expect :lol:

Just had this info from my Vet

‘’I spoke with a vet at Boehringer today and as suspected, the level of xylitol is so incredibly low, that even at 1000 times the recommended dose, there is not enough xylitol to cause toxicity issues with the Metacam.

Also, it has had extensive research and trials done, and at 100 times the recommended dose was not toxic over a prolonged period.’’

Well my faith in Boehringer just went into the toilet. :?
In the U.S. it is gospel that NO amount of xylitol is safe and as Jenna takes this daily I am not happy to have it in there. :evil:

This will require further inquiry on my end, honestly. Before her eye surgery and for a few days afterwards, Jenna was off her metacam and I think her face rubbing and scratching actually waned in that period until her blood concentration amounts of the drug returned to therapeutic levels. If there's any possibility that metacam may be responsible for her current issues, we'll have to explore other forms of NSAID/analgesia for her, forthwith. :( She shouldn't be taking it considering her kidney disease anyway, but it's hard to find good pain cover for her now, especially with the lackluster approach her vet takes with her treatment.

Thank you for the info, keletkezes and Jane. xxxx

Back