• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Meet Hattie :)

I think that many people never take them back or breed from them so they neuter before rehoming.i dont agree with it though, just checked she was born may and neutered july

then they shouldn't home them until they are neutered, but doing them early is cruel and un neccessary. i have e mailed them to ask why they do them so young

you said she was neutered at 8 weeks so I e mailed them. Have to say they replied very quickly and politely to both my e mails

their reply to my e mail

" Good Morning,

Thank you again for your email and your obvious interest in animal's welfare. I
can honestly say we do not neuter animals as young as 8 weeks old.

The majority of animals that are rehomed go home with a neutering voucher as
they are too young to be neutered at the point of leaving the centre.

There is no hard and fast rule as I explained before and we treat every animal
individually. Our dogs for example are only neutered if we have a prospective
owner for them and it is very rare we have any dogs younger than 6 months old.

I hope I have put your mind at rest but if you have any further questions please
do not hesitate to contact me.

Kind Regards,

Nicola Cowton
Front of House Supervisor
Woodside Animal Centre
190 Scudamore Road
Leicester "

so maybe she was older?

Have just got her info out she was 9 weeks according to the records I have here date of birth 9/5/13 spayed 12/7/13

Sounds like a potentially very serious mistake was made, and because of her size someone didn't stop to think about her breed, and assumed she was old enough. I think she was just incredibly lucky to have actually survived the op, especially a spay instead of a castrate.

My only concern now though would be as to if there are likely to be any behavioural/temperament problems because of this, as I know dogs temperaments can be messed up if time of spaying is incorrect, and when Pippa was first booked in, she then had a 'Phantom Pregnancy' and so it had to be cancelled, until she was through it. I'm just wondering what the implications may be for bunnies neutered when not sexually developed??

Cats are neutered very young by some CPL branches. It's not something I agree with but in a way can understand seeing the number if people who never bother to neuter, even with a voucher .
It's a tricky situation and I do not think there can really know the effects of neutering as it's a fairly recent thing and the owners are only likely to report back if there are issues.

Back