• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Martha is a Martin

Hoppinbunny

New Kit
We put the bunnies together for the first time today. The first 5 minutes they ignored each other then met noses but then Martha started trying to mount Bill which ended up in him trying to get her off and some fur pulling. During this my husband saw something that looked unfemale like in Martha so when we separated them we had a good look and whilst the genitals did look female like a good feel confirmed the presence of testicles. At least I'm sure that's all they can be? We were sold her as a girl and a month ago she had a full health check by a vet. I'm unsure now how easy it will be to bond 2 males. Bill is neutered but Martha hadn't been done yet since I was waiting for her to be a bit older. Any advice on bonding two males???

Oops! Well, you can't try bonding until the other bunny is neutered. As you probaably know many folk on here have boys together. There is a chance it will work! It's interesting that you mention the genitals looked like a female but there were signs of testicles. I am usually terrible at sexing rabbits.

I have two males and they are best of friends! Got them both 2 months apart and although it took about 3 weeks for them to bond it was worth all the heartache getting there! I just took it slow introducing them -set up 2 pens next to each other and let them get used to one another. We had no neutral space apart from the bath but that wasn't successful. Last straw was taking them for a drive and voila! Best buddies since. I know that stressing isn't for everyone and I felt bad doing it but it was better than fighting and fur flying.

It's such a shame because Bill (the neutered one) was so relaxed but obviously the hormones were too much for Martin. I'm really hoping they'll be best buddies when he's done, Martin is really snuggle and gentle so I'm hoping he likes the company of Bill.
I'm struggling to come to terms with having a bunny called Martin but can't think of anything else since we joked about it. Although my 3 year old is adamant he's still called Martha

Back