• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

March/April foraging thread please contribute Pics

Okay, when you folks are talking about plantain you don't mean the starchy-banana-cousin do you...? Because that definitely doesn't grow wild where I live in Cheshire! :lol: Is this the name of a common weed or garden plant?

This...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plantago

Ribwort_600.jpg

Love this thread!
Does anyone know where to buy spring green seeds from?
Looked in the local garden centers and there is nothing!
Nikki

Yay :thumb: Thats what I wanted a picture and its name! I take it we can find that in March/April time :wave:

I haven't seen any yet but I haven't been actively looking, it's still very cold. There's a spot on the allotment where it always grows strongly, by a water trough, I'll have a look next time I go up there.

This year I plan on collecting as much forage as I can find and drying it for the winter. I experimented drying last year and the buns loved it! cant belive I was paying £3 plus for a small bag in the pet shop when I can collect blackbag fulls and dry! :thumb:

I also heard that buns can have marigold flowers dried, does anyone know if all varieties are eatable or just a certain sort?

This year I plan on collecting as much forage as I can find and drying it for the winter. I experimented drying last year and the buns loved it! cant belive I was paying £3 plus for a small bag in the pet shop when I can collect blackbag fulls and dry! :thumb:

I also heard that buns can have marigold flowers dried, does anyone know if all varieties are eatable or just a certain sort?

Great isn't it! Calendula (pot marigold) are fine, but not african or french marigolds.

I'm a big forager, it's the drying I struggle with :(

I dry most things by spreading them out on a tarpauling and air drying them, or hanging them in bunches. Some things, that hold more moisture, such as pea pods I dry in a dehydrator. I haven't tried drying dandelions yet though.

Last edited:

Calendula is the type buns can eat.

Im going to try and forage for my bunnies, im also planning on getting my garden full of herbs, bunny safe flowers and timothy grass. I recognise that plantaine ill be picking the next lot i see, can they eat all of it? What if its been weed on by dogs or something, obviously i need to wash it but what else can i o to get germs off etc? Thanks.

I think this thread is fab, is there anyway of it becoming a sticky thread i think it would be good for ppl wanting to forage to be able to find it easily???

I did start a foraging thread for 2013 but it's sunk down the pages.

I give everything a good soak, some people only pick from a couple of foot upwards, I'd probably do this if it was along known dog walking routes. I also mainly pick in our garden or on our allotments so I know there is very little chance of any chemicals.

I found a big patch of dandelions at work today so picked a bag full, buns haven't had any for a good few months now and got very excited, they love dandelion flowers!

Also spotted a patch of dead nettles which I will pick later in the week.

Can bunnies eat rose branches including thorns? Just pruned the roses in the garden as they had got out of hand.

These are some of the delights I managed to get this time last year.

I'll have a forage this weekend for a comparison as the weather has really slowed things down :( xxx

Things are starting to come to life now though, goosegrass, dead nettle, dandies. My herbs are waking up too, should soon have enough lemon balm to pick.

Back