• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Managing/treating chronic respiratory problems?

I'm glad the coneflower is going down well :D

We tried the liquid in water too - we got it from Amazon a fair bit cheaper than H&B. I went to the dried stuff so the buns could choose how much to consume rather than having it in their drinking water (my snuffly girl won't let a syringe anywhere near her mouth these days. In fact I am not even allowed to look closely at it :roll:)

I have a sample pack of the SS mature food coming too although our girl is only 19 months old. We have her snuffles under control but she still has her off days so this might be enough to tip her immune system in her favour.

I'll be asking again about alternative antibiotics but I think depocillin is thought to be more effective than septrin - not least because we know that the dose has gone in rather than him wearing it! He's a bit of a monkey about oral meds :roll: except metacam of course!:lol:

There are just so many variables, it depends on what bacteria are causing the problem, where they are located, whether there is a lot of pus, whether it is encapsulated etc. Some antibiotics which might technically kill a particular type of bacteria might not be able to get to it if they aren't very good at penetrating pus. Ronaxan for instance has very good affinity for lung tissue, others are better at crossing into the brain or getting into deep-set infections. Septrin is inactivated by excess pus.

Santa's was caused by overgrown tooth roots and the two that were best for her over the years were engemycin LA (an injection every 3 days) and metronidazole (dissolved in the echinacea mix). Harry's deep rooted ear infection responded best to high dose (20mg/kg) injected Baytril. Baytril is often discounted as being a weak antibiotic because of its perceived over-use at too low-doses (often 5 mg/kg or even lower) by non rabbit savvy vets, but it is actually an extremely good, broad spectrum antibiotic if used at the right dose in the right circumstances.

Penicillin is an excellent antibiotic but it is very narrow spectrum, so it has to be the 'right' type of bacteria for it to be useful. It does often seem to be the case with respiratory infections, but not always. It's not so much a case of ones being stronger/weaker etc, more that some are more effective than others in different circumstances.

Last edited:
Buns tend to be a bit different in what they'll take readily.
I think that with any infection we need to reduce stress to a minimum.
Benjie has suffles & didn't like his liquid echinacea + golden seal.
I decided to use it for myself & found it lost it's effect after the bottle had been open for 14 days. So I give the powdered form in a gelatin capsule for humans. Just cut off the top, put a pinch in a basil leaf along with the bisolvon & in it goes!

The weed plantain has remarkable properties & I free feed it. benjie really goes for it.

anti inflammatory -pain relief & reduces tissue swelling.
antimicrobial - possibly effective against TB too!
antiviral - boosts the immune system especially T cells.
haemostatic - stems bleeding from wounds, encourages new skin growth. (Makes it good for ulcers & especially mouth ulcers)
decongestant & expectorant - (helps snuffles!) & respiratory tract infections in humans.
mild diuretic
stops diarrhoea & sooths inflammation of both small & large bowel
Antitoxin - good for plant stings & insect bites. (I can personally vouch for nettle stings - brilliant only thing that works!)
Antoxidant - prevents cancers.
In Germany it's the only recommended medicine for humans to treat smoker's chronic bronchitis.

ETA I support the previous suggestios.
I know that not vaccinating can be a difficult step. The myxi vaccines are live attenuated vaccines & give a bun a very very mild form of the illness. Buns should not be vaccinated unless they're completely well. Also we've no idea how long the effect lasts for, but it is probable that an older rabbit who has been immunised regularly has good residual immunity.

Last edited:
It's good to hear others are going through similar issues/times with their bunnies! I have been through a horrible time with mine over the last month...Honey had a dental in October and the vet has said that one side of her mouth is in really bad shape and that he didn't think she could go on much longer the way she was :-( Heartbroken...though over a month on she is doing ok, doesn't seem to be in pain the only complication is she has developed chronic snuffles...she is about to finish a course of Baytril which seems to have worked quite well. Interested to see others have noticed a big difference with vitamin C...will probably try this and see if it makes a difference :)

Back