• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Male not neutered around female

Hello!
around two weeks ago I adopted two bunnies, one female who is 6 months and has been spayed, one male who is 4 months and is yet to be neutered. They have been fine up until two days ago when I noticed that the male was trying to hump the female...non stop. They're both dwarfs but she's a Netherland dwarf so she's a lot smaller than he is. She was petrified and so was I, he spent hours in the play pen, whilst she spend hours on my shoulder ( she wouldn't move it actually hurt after a while) I decided to separate them and every time I've tried to introduce them to each other since, he's done the same thing, however now he's thumping, biting the cage, just generally being quite destructive. I realise I need to get him neutered as soon as possible, but will a month separation have an affect on their bond? Before they were living together, not they're on separate cages, one on the floor and another on a stand, they can see each other when they're let out for runs but no longer run together.
Please, please if anyone has any advise!!

Jade
xox

Welcome to the forum Jade :wave:

Well, unfortunately you can't leave the pair together as is, as whilst some humping is normal, excessive humping will really stress your doe. As your male is 4 months old, you'll find it's because he's hit the sexual maturity mark, and from here, the behaviour is only likely to get worse without neutering - which will probably cause the bond to fail anyway (which IMO it probably already has).

Separating can cause bonds to backtrack, but neutered bucks and spayed doe's are the easiest bonds so you'll likely not have much of an issue reintroducing them when they the buck is recovered and his hormones have died down. You'll certainly have far greater chances of success with a bond then, than you do of maintaining any bond now with his behaviour.

Hope that makes sense and is of some help! x

I think separating them will actually save their future bond.
The female is obviously not enjoying a male constantly trying it on with her. Attempting to keep bonding while he's hormonal will likely turn into her fighting him as she's had enough.

I'd say neuter him, and allow him 6 weeks to settle before reintroducing. Personally I'd have them in separate rooms, so they can each have a run at all times, if not, separate the room they are currently in so both can have a run but not get to each other.

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back