• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Male 5yrs losing hair back neck help?

Zoe99

New Kit
Hi my mini lion lop is losing his mane at the back of his neck. He is white, in door rabbit but sun bathes via window. There is no flaking of skin or soreness.is he just going bald with old age?
My female occasionally will mate him and gently bites his neck or she will groom him there too. So is she over grooming him?
With the weather over past year his malting has been erratic. Could this be a result of that?
Don't want to take him to vet as his mood, feeding, poop and grooming is all normal - vet causes him stress and don't want to pump him full of drugs if this is just a natural combination of things.

Hi my mini lion lop is losing his mane at the back of his neck. He is white, in door rabbit but sun bathes via window. There is no flaking of skin or soreness.is he just going bald with old age?
My female occasionally will mate him and gently bites his neck or she will groom him there too. So is she over grooming him?
With the weather over past year his malting has been erratic. Could this be a result of that?
Don't want to take him to vet as his mood, feeding, poop and grooming is all normal - vet causes him stress and don't want to pump him full of drugs if this is just a natural combination of things.

It may be that your Doe is overgrooming him. But without being able to see the bald area it's impossible to say for sure. Has he had any vaccinations/injections in recent weeks ? A local reaction to a vaccination/injection can result in fur loss. Can you post a photo of it ?

hey I came online to ask the exact same thing about my Male English Bunny apart from his is on his back, but there is one on his back of the neck that's isn't to bad but noticeable if you go looking, we groomed just before and so much came out! his bald spot is pink but skin is smooth, and he doesn't really seem to care. we are trying to get a vets appointment for tomorrow (hes not to scared about the vets, he seems to enjoy the trip out lol) just to be safe, but I did some reading and found a page that calmed my nerves about it all, the link is https://www.ddfl.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/Rabbit-Health-LD-BR.pdf in case that helps calm you as well? especially the paragraph,

"Bald spots on rabbits are quite common when they are shedding. In fact, some rabbits, short-haired or long-haired, may get totally naked except for their face and feet. If these bald spots occur from shedding, they will begin to grow back within a week or two."

my research also said it could be overgrooming like Jack's-Jane mentioned, or even maybe a bit to rough whilst humping, or even boredom can play a part!

sorry I cant be to much help but I wanted to share what I found on the off chance it makes you feel a tiny bit better about it :) I hope he is all good :D

Thanks here is pic
328Ds4Q.jpg

Thanks here is pic
328Ds4Q.jpg

It looks as though there is a small puncture wound and the skin next to it looks quite inflamed. Personally I'd want a Vet to take a look at it in case there is an active infection present. It is impossible to tell if there is or not just from looking at a photo x

Back