• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Making hay using oven

JessBun

Mama Doe
This is probably a really silly question, but does anyone know if in utter desperation you can use an oven to help the drying out process of grass to make hay? :lol: I did try searching the forums, and only found that you can dry weeds etc in the oven so I thought, if you can do it for weeds, why not grass to make hay? :lol:

I've read the how to's on here, that suggested you needed a minimum of 5 days dry weather to make grass into hay outside. Two problems with that. A) I'm in Scotland and it does nothing but rain :lol: B) I was quite happy to wait till the end of July when we've been forecast some gorgeous weather, but due to problems with our neighbour making complaints about our long grass (see thread: http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?457136-Neighbours-long-lawn-buns ) I've had no choice whatsoever but to cut it now and try my best to see what I can do. :evil:

The grass is lovely, and I've been letting it grow for ages to make hay until this very recent problem with the neighbour. Around the edges of the garden the grass was over 2ft in length with lovely seed heads - brilliant for the repeated chewing motion to wear down teeth. His main diet is this grass (with hay etc) so he has no problem with no being used to this type of grass. I'm just wondering if the drying process in an oven does anything bad to the grass?

I've tried a wee batch - it's dried lovely and rattles, and has kept its green colour (can't comment on smell just yet, will give it a go 2mo). My idea was to do 2 hours drying time in the oven at 60-80 celcuis till the grass is fully dry, then sit on racks inside to air some more, and pop it out in sunny weather where ever possible. I really want to try my best to be able to do something with this, I cut loads (about half a bales worth :lol: ) and will be absolutely gutted if the neighbours whinging means it's all gone to pot :cry: Likewise I obviously don't want to harm bun. Thank you xxx

I make my hay on top of a radiator. Its always green. Just switch them on to high a 2-3 times a day, and its normally done in 2 days. Also I make sure I turn it over a couple of times. If you scatter it about the various ones home, you can get quite a bit dried in one go that way.

I read on a farmer's advise site, that hay is done when it passes the twist test. Take a stalk, from the middle of the hay bundle, hold it in two hands and move in a circle motion. If it snaps cleanly with no resistance then its done.

I also check the smell, mine can smell alot 'greener than shop bought hay, but I've never noticed a damp/mouldy smell. Make sure you store it in something 'breathable', I'm going to buy a laundry bin tomorrow to store mine in.

Have no idea about ovens, but I hope this helps.

Hi Sammy :wave:

It does indeed help, thanks very much! At least I know using artificial heat on grass to make hay, is safe for buns! I basically have a spare rooms floor space of hay (I've been busy :lol:) so a bit much to rely on only radiators, but definitely good to lesson the load. I found you can make hay in the oven, just watch the pesky seeds :lol:

It's outside on the top of the rabbit run at the moment as we have a bit of nice weather till 5pm, I'm going to keep popping it out on good days, and make try the radiator trick inbetween ;) :thumb:

Thanks again xX

You don't even need a radiator. Spread it out anywhere inside (maybe not bathroom as those get damp) and it will dry out in a few days. If you've got a spare room, I'd put down a sheet, spread the grass evenly over it, not thick you want to see bits of sheet through and then once a day give the hay a bit of a stir.

Back