• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mac Cosmetics

Not rude at all, I find this topic really interesting to discuss :) I totally understand your point. I just worry that any money I spend in superdrug, body shop etc is ultimately going to benefit a parent company that tests on animals? It's why I dislike shopping in supermarkets that aren't cruelty free, even if I'm just buying veg, because ultimately my money could be used towards testing on animals.

However my mum did contact Liz earl about this as I was concerned about parent companies and they said that Liz earl are totally separate from their parent company Avon, in the sense that none of Liz earls money/profit goes towards Avon and its animal testing. But I just can't quite understand that. Why would a parent company be a parent company if it didn't get any financial benefit from its daughter company?
Yeah that is true, it certainly is confusing that a parent company and daughter company have different policies. I do feel that like Liz Earl, most daughter/parent companies do operate separately because I would have thought that PETA would do really detailed research before awarding them the leaping bunny certified badge.

I know, I shop at Asda before my family and I can't afford to shop at places like Marks and Spencer's so we have to shop there and I hate it that my money probably contributes towards animal testing on their products. There just really isn't any need for it and I don't see why in this day and age any companies feel the need to test on animals.

Yeah that is true, it certainly is confusing that a parent company and daughter company have different policies. I do feel that like Liz Earl, most daughter/parent companies do operate separately because I would have thought that PETA would do really detailed research before awarding them the leaping bunny certified badge.

I know, I shop at Asda before my family and I can't afford to shop at places like Marks and Spencer's so we have to shop there and I hate it that my money probably contributes towards animal testing on their products. There just really isn't any need for it and I don't see why in this day and age any companies feel the need to test on animals.

I would hope that PETA would do good enough research to ensure any money that we spend wouldn't contribute towards parent companies, but I just don't know!

We shop at Waitrose and it actually isn't significantly more expensive than places like Tescos. We do tend to go to Tescos for cupboard food like baked beans, chopped tomatoes etc but I just hate shopping there.

Testing on animals is just so unnecessary, it makes me so irate just thinking about it!!

I would hope that PETA would do good enough research to ensure any money that we spend wouldn't contribute towards parent companies, but I just don't know!

We shop at Waitrose and it actually isn't significantly more expensive than places like Tescos. We do tend to go to Tescos for cupboard food like baked beans, chopped tomatoes etc but I just hate shopping there.

Testing on animals is just so unnecessary, it makes me so irate just thinking about it!!
Yeah, you can never really be sure when it comes to things like that. I would love to shop somewhere that I know is cruelty free but unfortunately my mum and I don't drive so we can only go to the supermarkets that are nearby and we can get taxis to/from.

I know, it is absolutely ridiculous. Seriously winds me up!

If it helps I swapped my rimmel liquid foundation for an urban decay one and it feels very similar to use! Most of my makeup is urban decay now, I find it very good!

At least Rimmel are cruelty free.

Rimmel make my favourite eyeshadow shade, I'm glad you said this, as I had a moment where I was worried I'd have to start the hunt for a new shade...

A lot of my products are thankfully not tested on animals, but a few that are have worked their way into my day-to-day use. Thanks for sharing this link, as it's good to be given a kick to check the label. I won't bin anything, but I will look for cruelty free when it needs replaced.

Rimmel make my favourite eyeshadow shade, I'm glad you said this, as I had a moment where I was worried I'd have to start the hunt for a new shade...

A lot of my products are thankfully not tested on animals, but a few that are have worked their way into my day-to-day use. Thanks for sharing this link, as it's good to be given a kick to check the label. I won't bin anything, but I will look for cruelty free when it needs replaced.
I don't want to burst your bubble or upset you or anything, but it may be worth reading the previous comment by Ally&Poppy as they commented on Rimmel's animal testing status...

Sorry in advance! [emoji20]

(Willow and biscuit - we cross posted! )
I think Rimmel test on animals, well they say they are cruelty free but because they sell to China they have to test on animals as it's a requirement or something to be able to sell over there. So a lot of companies, even companies that don't or didn't test on animals but now have parent companies that do say they don't test but they do because they sell to/in China.

If any of that makes sense :lol:

Oh. Hmm. I'll start the hunt for new eyeshadow...

It's really easy to make your own cosmetices too! I made some home-made lip balm (olive oil, coconut oil, beeswax and fragrance of your choice), lotion bars (like lush), whipped body butter (but it melts if the flat gets too warm in summer), and it's easy to make your own soap too. Shampoos from holland and barrets are not tested on animals, and body shop do a good anti-dandruff shampoo. The difficult ones are toothpaste and detergents - I'm sensitive to a lot, I can only use specific ones.

I'm absolutely gutted about this still. My fave red Rimmel lipstick went this morning [emoji174] as if I don't already have a difficult week ahead.

(Willow and biscuit - we cross posted! )

Oh. Hmm. I'll start the hunt for new eyeshadow...

It's really easy to make your own cosmetices too! I made some home-made lip balm (olive oil, coconut oil, beeswax and fragrance of your choice), lotion bars (like lush), whipped body butter (but it melts if the flat gets too warm in summer), and it's easy to make your own soap too. Shampoos from holland and barrets are not tested on animals, and body shop do a good anti-dandruff shampoo. The difficult ones are toothpaste and detergents - I'm sensitive to a lot, I can only use specific ones.
My favourite eye shadow shades are silvers, dark purples, blacks and browns and MUA (Make Up Academy) do an excellent pallet with these colours in beautiful shades [emoji7]

Oh wow that sounds excellent, I've never thought of making my own cosmetics. I think I'm going to have to give that a go!

Ahh man, that's a real shame that you can't just use any old toothpaste and stuff. At the end of the day though, as much as we hate to sometimes, we do still have to put ourselves first when it regards our health. I have to take so many different medications for various different things and I do feel awful that they test them on animals, however if they don't provide medication and things like that without having them tested then there's not a lot we can do [emoji20]

I'm absolutely gutted about this still. My fave red Rimmel lipstick went this morning [emoji174] as if I don't already have a difficult week ahead.
When I first switched to cruelty free I just threw out and gave away absolutely everything that wasn't cruelty free and replaced it in one go as I found it easier to do it this way, however that may not worth for everyone. Also, once you start searching for cruelty free options you'll be surprised just how many lovely colours and shades there are. I mean, they're no different to other brands in that respect, they are just kinder [emoji4]

Just to weigh in that Lily Lolo are a natural makeup company based in the UK which DO NOT test on animals, have no parent company (seems to be a standalone business) and even have vegan products. They ship worldwide too.
Ive used them for over 5 years now and love their products. They photograph really well and stay on all day and night.
http://www.lilylolo.co.uk

My favourite eye shadow shades are silvers, dark purples, blacks and browns and MUA (Make Up Academy) do an excellent pallet with these colours in beautiful shades [emoji7]

Oh wow that sounds excellent, I've never thought of making my own cosmetics. I think I'm going to have to give that a go!
[emoji20]

Here are some recipes:

http://myellowumbrella.com/2012/02/07/homemade-lotion-bars-and-lip-balm/

http://www.lifeannstyle.com/2013/02/diy-deep-moisturizing-whipped-body-butter-creme/

Very easy, and I just went around shops asking for samples of things to get little pots for my lip balm.

I'll check out MUA - thanks!

http://www.crueltyfreekitty.com/list-of-cruelty-free-brands/

I like this site as occasionally PETA has had incorrect info'.

For make up I use Illamasqua and some Autograph. Toiletries and household cleaning products are Superdrug or supermarkets own brands as they have leaping bunny logo but sadly many if them have shops in China so feel as though I'm still giving money to hurt animals. Also more and more companies want to sell in China and are happily dropping their principles to do so. Moral ethics vs Profit = tortured animals. It was summed up for me when I realised Stella McCartney's beauty products are produced by Procter and Gamble.

Back