• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lost in the sea of hay - help :)

Kiania

Young Bun
I run a pet sitting business, and have recently gone into rabbit boarding (there appears to be a demand, bunnies are adorable, who am I to say no? :) ), so I've got two buns booked in for August (separate stays) for a total of 17 'bunny days' between them. One is a dwarf lop, the other one is labeled as a 'black medium-ish-sized bunny' of unknown type :? . I want to buy some hay for these two, found the Hay Experts and their taster selection sample pack. I also have a local country store that does hay here: http://www.snackandtack.co.uk/pets-c5/small-pets-c83#c158

I would love some advice on what to go for, as I haven't had pet bunnies since I was 8 years old, and the last time I worked with buns they got hay-bale hay (no brand names, grass type or fancy packaging, straight from a farmer!) and readigrass (which I am planning to offer on a couple of handfuls per week basis with these buns).

Are there any brands/types of grass to avoid? Any that are more palatable, or healthier? Hay has me very confused right now, and I want to make sure I'm doing the right thing :)

Thank you in advance :)

I've tried various brands but have found what they prefer is just plain old meadow hay fresh from the local farm. £2.00 per bag and smell so amazing I am tempted to eat it myself!
As a side note, can't remember the brand and it's probably unfair to name names but the one that is vacuum packed and is greener than the others had a very flat dry mouse in it once, eww!

Hi, I also board bunnies and have done for 10 years. www.hoppy-holidays.co.uk

I use the pre-packed meadow hay from a local pet shop. It does cost more than bales of hay, but it is dust extracted and virtually no chance of having mites and other unwanted things hidden in it. Most of the bunnies enjoy it. The more picky ones have timothy hay and or excel dandelion and marigold.

Best of luck in your new venture.:thumb:

Meadow hay seems to have the vote, I shall see what they do in that vein when I pop in tomorrow. Having never been, I have no idea what to expect, but hopefully they do dust extracted, as I do love my dust extracted products for small animals :)

Thanks for the luck Bunnykins - I may need it :) I am rather looking forward to it though, and it definitely seems to be worthwhile, even if a little costly to start up - especially since I insist on doing everything properly - no <6ft hutches here! I have one 6ft, and will have one 8x6 ft shed (split into 2 pens with the ability to take the center out for giant breeds). Does rather help having a pair of engineers in the house, but they aren't so great when it comes to "Which hay do I feed bunnies?" questions :) And so far, that one has been a bit of a minefield :) Glad I know at least roughly what to look for now, so thank you to both of you :)

Back