• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

lost a rabbit at the weekend to a fox

challi

New Kit
Hi, I lost a rabbit to a fox this friday.My daughters who is six. One rabbit left. So absolutely upset. Only just nursed the poor bun back to health after her neutering. Having to hand feed her and water her for nearly 2 weeks. Then finally she is back to herself again to be attacked and killed in a second by a fox. I have managed to calm the other rabbit. Who was scared to death. Hand fed her for a day and iv put her back outside after two days inside.I have put extra lathes on the hutch and barracaded her in with tarpaulin and the plastic roof from the kids out side play house. So she doesn't catch site if the fox plans a return visit. Two questions really. 1. Is there anything I can do to deter the fox from returning as it was so braisen it wouldn't even leave the garden when we heard the screams of the poor bun who died. We ran down and it wouldn't leave it just stood watching. Bit scared if the children were there and it returns. Secondly how else can I secure the hutch? Also how long should I leave her without a friend she looks so lonely. I would keep her inside but she likes to thud and run around like a nut case and it kept all family awake last night

Plastic/tarp won't offer any protection, foxes shred through it like butter.

You need wood that's atleast 10mm thick and securely fastened together. Any mesh should be weld mesh (square mesh welded at each joint), not chicken wire (twisted together). With a fox that brave I'd suggest you double mesh (put two layer one inside and one out), as foxes will poke their legs through the mesh and grab at the rabbit.

The accommodation also need to be secured down so the hutch can't be knocked over or off the run. Runs must have mesh under unless they are on concrete as foxes also dig in. The lid needs to be fastened down with bolts, as does the hutch door.

Rabbits can also die from shock so a sustained attack can be fatal even if the fox can't get in. They are very determined so don't under estimate them!

I am so sorry for your loss, it's a horrible thing to witness. Sadly foxes may well return again and again. Have you got a shed you can put the hutch in? That way you can lock the shed in the evening?
That sad foxes can turn up during the day.

Ideally bringing bunny indoors would be ideal though but I know for many, this is not an option.

Good luck to your other little bun,,,, wee soul must be so distraught,,,,xxxxx

can you keep her inside? the fox will likely be back now he knows she's there. :( as tamsin said, even the shock can kill so i would keep your remaining one inside for now.

You know I think I will just go and get a shed asap. Think its the only way. I did think about it but with nothing but inside of a shed to loom at all evening I just didn't think it would be ideal but I suppose better than looking at a fox.

I'm so sorry to hear this. :cry: You sound like very caring bunny owners. It must have been horrible.

If I were you I would either:

Bring your remaining bun indoors and have her as a house rabbit

Get a shed and aviary set up.

There are pros and cons to both, I can go into detail if you like as I've kept my rabbits in a shed and indoors.

This was their shed setup if you'd like inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip9IcoHLMJI

I will say that when your remaining bunny has recovered from her op (leave it at least 6 weeks) you should look into pairing her with another bun. She'll get lonely and depressed especially if she's outdoors. Ask at your local rescues to see if they have a suitable neutered male. Many rescues will take care of the whole bonding process for you which will save a lot of stress.

In the meantime, spoil her rotten with as much attention as possible. Fenugreek crunchies are a very popular rabbit treat so one or 2 of those a day will help.

Copy:Ideally bringing bunny indoors would be ideal though but I know for many, this is not an option.thanks
1pBxe5o

Thanks for your excellent advice, ladies from wadars, a local rescue has done a home check and has a neutered male for me. She given me advice on better housing and safety. Fox won't get another opportunity.

You know I think I will just go and get a shed asap. Think its the only way. I did think about it but with nothing but inside of a shed to loom at all evening I just didn't think it would be ideal but I suppose better than looking at a fox.

Mine are in a shed, they get plenty of free time during the day when we're about and closed in at night, we don't have foxes where I live, the only thing I have to worry about is cats, and my 3 chase cats out of the garden. ;)

This is my shed, the buns hutch is built into the full end of the shed to give plenty of space. ;)

Hutch15_zpse4c78827.jpg

Thanks for your excellent advice, ladies from wadars, a local rescue has done a home check and has a neutered male for me. She given me advice on better housing and safety. Fox won't get another opportunity.

wonderful news :thumb:

Back