• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Losing weight

Hills

Young Bun
Hi all!

My bunny Ivy hasn’t been right for a while now, she started weeing all over my floor which wasn’t like her, i took her to the vet with a wee sample and it was fine, so I put it down to behaviour. Since then she’s gotten worse, lost a lot of weight, looks very hunched (worse in the morning!) and is still weeing everywhere and producing lots of cecos.

I did a poo sample and it was fine, she’s had an ultrasound and that was fine. I’m calling the vets today for blood tests and possibly an X-ray.

Has anyone had similar experience? I hate seeing her like this :(

She’s still eating and producing normal poops.

Thanks x

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is she neutered and vaccinated for myxo, RVHD1 & RVHD2?

Has she had her teeth checked? If there are spurs on her back teeth, she may be reluctant to eat. They are best checked with an ottoscope, and if she is being sedated for an x-ray, that would be an ideal opportunity to check them more thoroughly than when she is conscious.

Has she had a full profile blood test? It would show if there is an issue with, eg, liver, kidneys, or an infection.

It is also worth considering the EC parasite and asking about treatment for this if the bloods don't show any specific issues.

Often, the vet will prescribe an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory to cover several bases (eg baytrill and metacam). Pain relief in itself often helps to improve how much they eat and its effect should not be underestimated. For EC, the treatment is 28 days of Panacur plus an anti-inflammatory.

I hope all goes well and she gets at least some ongoing pain relief.

Sadly her symptoms sound similar to my boy Rudey. His bloods showed poor kidney function. Its pleasing to hear she continues to eat & poo well though it does sound like she is uncomfortable. Lots of get well vibes for Ivy xx

Sadly her symptoms sound similar to my boy Rudey. His bloods showed poor kidney function. Its pleasing to hear she continues to eat & poo well though it does sound like she is uncomfortable. Lots of get well vibes for Ivy xx

Thank you for your reply, and sorry to hear about Rudey. She’s not even 2 yet I’m so upset. Is it manageable or do they eventually die? Sorry to be so blunt xx

I think a full blood profile would be what I would want to have done next. Chronic Renal failure can present with the symptoms you describe

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

One possible cause of renal damage is EC

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

Sending lots of vibes for Ivy xx

Thank you for your reply. I’m going to the vets tomorrow to have the blood tests done. Thank you for the links.

If it was EC would my other bunny have it too? He’s absolutely fine in himself.

Also if she does have renal failure can it be managed?

Thank you for your reply, and sorry to hear about Rudey. She’s not even 2 yet I’m so upset. Is it manageable or do they eventually die? Sorry to be so blunt xx

I'm sorry I've caused you to worry more. My vet wasn't very explicit about his longevity (I did ask) but dependant on the cause I think there are various things to manage his condition. It may very well be something else so please don't fret too much. If EC both buns are usually treated. I heard a member on here recently say their bun carried on for years with chronic liver failure for years. I'm sorry I'm not much help, I don't really understand a lot of it. It might be worth asking your vet about EC tests though I know they are not wholly reliable. I didn't get those as I'd treated my rabbit with panacur not that long before his consult & I assume this would affect his viral load (if he is positive - I suspect so)

Whatever the cause I hope your vet can find a way forward for your little one xx

Is she neutered and vaccinated for myxo, RVHD1 & RVHD2?

Has she had her teeth checked? If there are spurs on her back teeth, she may be reluctant to eat. They are best checked with an ottoscope, and if she is being sedated for an x-ray, that would be an ideal opportunity to check them more thoroughly than when she is conscious.

Has she had a full profile blood test? It would show if there is an issue with, eg, liver, kidneys, or an infection.

It is also worth considering the EC parasite and asking about treatment for this if the bloods don't show any specific issues.

Often, the vet will prescribe an antibiotic and anti-inflammatory to cover several bases (eg baytrill and metacam). Pain relief in itself often helps to improve how much they eat and its effect should not be underestimated. For EC, the treatment is 28 days of Panacur plus an anti-inflammatory.

I hope all goes well and she gets at least some ongoing pain relief.

Thank you for your reply!

She is spayed and al up to date with vaccinations.

She has had them checked but I thought the same, could be teeth. So will ask them to check again tomorrow.

I’m getting the full bloods done tomorrow, I’m hoping it’s nothing too serious, she’s not even 2 poor baby!

Someone mentioned that there is another blood test that shows EC so I’ll also ask for that.

She’s actually on baytril at the moment (5th day) she’s perked up a little but I wouldve hoped she was a bit better.

Thanks again x

Thank you for your reply. I’m going to the vets tomorrow to have the blood tests done. Thank you for the links.

If it was EC would my other bunny have it too? He’s absolutely fine in himself.

Also if she does have renal failure can it be managed?

With chronic renal failure there are some treatment options. The condition cannot be cured, but it can sometimes be managed

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

Many Pet Rabbits will test positive for exposure to EC but never develop clinical symptoms.

http://www.greendale.co.uk/cuniculi_disease.html

If one Rabbit in a group/bonded pair has clinical symptoms of EC then it is advisable that all in contact Rabbits are treated with a 28 day course of Fenbendazole

https://www.dechra.co.uk/therapy-ar...cs-antifungals/disease-information/e-cuniculi

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Parasitic/Encephalitozoonosis.htm

I'm sorry I've caused you to worry more. My vet wasn't very explicit about his longevity (I did ask) but dependant on the cause I think there are various things to manage his condition. It may very well be something else so please don't fret too much. If EC both buns are usually treated. I heard a member on here recently say their bun carried on for years with chronic liver failure for years. I'm sorry I'm not much help, I don't really understand a lot of it. It might be worth asking your vet about EC tests though I know they are not wholly reliable. I didn't get those as I'd treated my rabbit with panacur not that long before his consult & I assume this would affect his viral load (if he is positive - I suspect so)

Whatever the cause I hope your vet can find a way forward for your little one xx

Oh gosh not at all! Thank you for being so honest. She’s had a blood test and is now on panacur and metecam, so I’ll just see what happens I suppose! Thank you again xx

Back