• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Look what I did while the forum was down!

hi

those links from your cashminicalcavies were so interesting Clare - I didn't even know what an alpaca was till now - so this is what they should look like when their fur's not been eaten by cagemates!
http://www.alpacacavies.co.uk/

wow :shock:

I already noticed that Sabrina's hair was getting really long - I thought I would cut it as it can't be easy to see with all that hair over your face - and when I pick her up she always feels really hot compared with the others - I guess that might be why.

I had 2 female alpacas in the run together today, and it looked like a pair of clockwork furry slippers running around on their own :lol:

Thanks Elve!

I have an Alpaca sow too Elve, but she has had a haircut (by me!) and she really appreciated it as now it doesn't drag on the floor and get mucky, and anyway she didn't really enjoy being groomed. She reminds me of a teddy bear!

Clare

hi

well they remind me of Michael Bentine's Potty Time - but you will all be too young to remember that show :oops: Ask your mums :p

Florence has had 4 babies while I was on the phone! Wahay!! Not thinking of the logistics of it at the mo (bigger cages, more mouths to feed, more piggies to rehome :roll:) Just Wahay at the mo!! :D :D :D

Piccies tomorrow :wink:

elve said:
Am trying to bond the two 5wks boys, Irwin and Rudolf, with Derek - now known as Gay Uncle Derek :? :lol:
Poor boys...it's not easy to explain to your young son either :roll:
bonding.jpg

Elve, this isn't a good idea. Two males will live together, but more than that will fight. The two brothers will probably stay happily together if kept away from girlie pigs, but throw in a third and they are likely to all fall out.

I am sorting out a group of what was 4 boys that were living at a wildlife centre. They had all been fighting.
One had to be put to sleep as he had the most dreadful abcess under his chin and couldn't swallow without being in agony. Another I have upstairs now as he has an abcess in his nose from a bite, plus a torn ear and lots of bites on his back. The other two also had lots of bites but luckily no abcesses. The RSPCA put them together according to one member of staff!! :roll: It just doesn't work, or at best it works for a short while. I am taking the two infection free boys to be neutered tomorrow - well I am if the other one is brought to me tonight. Then they will be looking for girlie friends. My Finn is going too as he fell out with Murphy. These boys :roll:

hi

thanks for that advice Louise - I was wondering because Gizmo said he had a group of 3 males that lived next to his females no problem - and other people say only 2 and keep them well away from girls - I wasn't sure at all - I really wanted Derek to have some company as he's so terrified of people that he would squash into the corner and chew the bars to try and get away just at feeding time - he looked so frightened poor baby :(
Anyway - I haven't put all 3 together and they are still living in the setup above - Usually all 3 are snuggled together in the morning, bars in between, but I have noticed that Rudolf is the one that gravitates most to Derek - Irwin's quite often sat on his own now, whereas the 2 brothers were always together before...Derek is a lot happier though - he takes his veg from my hand now and I think he really enjoys having the boys there - It can't be permanent as they are growing fast and the cage is too small (huh - tell the breeder that!) and Rudolf and Irwin are almost starting to squabble over who sits next to Derek now :roll:

So yes I guess you're right and I'll have to decide who goes with who soon - Charlie's being neutered tomorrow (if I can manage to get organised enough to take him in for 9.30 - I'm hopeless) But I just can't afford to neuter any more now - I want to rehome Charlie so I'm getting him done to increase his chances of finding a home. Now Florence has had her babies I'm sure there'll be another boy next month to pair up with Irwin, if Rudolf wants to run off with his gay lover :shock:

I've got all the boys in the kitchen but I guess they can hear the girls and the door to the hall opens into both rooms - I may have to squeeze a hutch into the bunny shed? Not happy about them living outside in the garden as I don't trust next door's kids, and the weather's getting nasty :?

Birdiebun - Florence is being a very good mum, although she's more interested in her dinner :lol:

Back