• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Longcoats

What beautuful Bunnies :love:
I bet their coats are high maintainance :lol:

Goodness aren't the Buns terrified of your handsome GSD? Crikes, if I were, by nature a prey animal, I'd be well stressed by being chased by what I'd perceive as a predator :shock: :shock: :shock:

Janex

Goodness aren't the Buns terrified of your handsome GSD? Crikes, if I were, by nature a prey animal, I'd be well stressed by being chased by what I'd perceive as a predator :shock: :shock: :shock:

Janex

I think bunnies get used to certain dogs who are not percieved as a threat... my bunnies are well used to Mosi, they either ignore eachother, or happily sniff each other (Dill actually jumped on her the other day cos she was sitting in 'his' chair and he's a bit blind!!! - she didn't move and he just looked a bit embarrassed!). My other dog is not good around the bunnies - he is too boisterous, so I keep him well away from them in case he scares them... they will run away if the do ever see him.

Aww they are gorgeous :love:

I love long haired bunnies :love: Grooming them is a challenge...particulary during their moulting season, where I end up covered in more fur than the bunny :D

I've always loved cashies. My last cash was lil'Oliver, who I very sadly lost due to an absess :( :( :(

Prudence is my ony long haired bun, and she is always kept in tip top groomed condition :D I wouldn't...and she wouldn't(!!) want it any other way! :D :love: :lol:

Janex

No they're not scared at all actually! Because he's been around since they were born they're used to him. Simon was actually winding him up while he was on the trampoline, he kept hurtling to the edge towards Czar, sniffing his nose then binkying off in the opposite direction! Wind up merchant :roll: :lol:

I wouldn't let him near them if they were scared, I'm always very concious of new arrivals but so far nothings been worried by him. Hes also never left unsupervised with them, even if they're in the runs I'm there too.

He's so good with them as well, in the last 2 years we've unfortunately lost 2 of his real playmates, that we used to let loose up the garden with him etc (supervised obviously)- bless him he pined for them for weeks!! :cry:

And yes these are going to be big buns -about 8 1/2lb so average housecat size.

I'd be interested in how you groom them too. I used to have longhaired pigs and they hated grooming. Do the rabbits get used to it? And how do you stop the hay etc tangling in their beautiful coats?

I'd be interested in how you groom them too. I used to have longhaired pigs and they hated grooming. Do the rabbits get used to it? And how do you stop the hay etc tangling in their beautiful coats?

Thats why I recommend daily grooming, rather than a long session every few days - its less stressful for them and helps to keep on top of it. Yes if groomed from a young age they do get used to it. Like i say i use the comb as little as possible and try to tease knots out with my fingers where possible - and if somehow they've got a really bag knot I clip it out - no point stressing a rabbit out by trying to groom it if it can be clipped. But with daily grooming the knots shouldn't build up to that stage.

As for the hay, all mine have it in racks, so it doesn't seem to stick in their coats as much, and I find they're better off bedded on chopped straw than shavings. Ideally I'd like to see these go as house rabbits though - how fantastic would these be in a house! :D

I must admit they are gorgeous!:love: :love: :love: :love:

My Digby was a cashie coated Frenchie, I used to give him daily grooming & he used to fall asleep half the time!:rolleyes: :lol: :lol:

Su.x

I didn't know you could get fluffy frenchies till I saw Digby :love:

Unfortunately the longcoat gene is in quite alot of breeds, its absolutely rife in German and French lops :roll: :roll: Mum and Dad to these 2 are now being neutered so that I don't produce anymore.

Longcoated Frenchies are 'Giant Cashmere Lops', Longcoated Germans are 'Continental Cashmere Lops'.

:D Interesting thread

I remember reading that as a result of poor breeding, some breeds were throwing up woolies (rather than conventional long coats or cashmeres) more often nowadays. Woolies are virtually impossible to keep groomed and tangle-free. If I remember correctly, the writer thought that any woolies should be removed from the gene pool (they suggested culling).

WalnutEarth626...is this a problem that is being addressed in breeding circles?

This is true, you do get Woolies as well, I have in the past produced a woolie, and you're right, her coat was an absolute nightmare and I kept her clipped. These 2 thankfully are Cashmeres, and are both very sleek coated so should be ok.

I wouldn't say its a result of poor breeding, its a recessive gene so unfortunately its a nightmare to track and remove.

Personally I am working very hard to eradicate it, as I say Mum and Dad are being neutered and the rest of the litter will be found pet homes with strict instructions to spay/neuter them, as they have a 50% chance of carrying the gene too. Any rabbit that has ever produced Longcoats for me has always been removed from the breeding program and rehomed as pets.

Most people have the same policy as me, however some get tempted by nice shortcoated kits in the litter and put those back into the breeding program, which doesn't help the problem :roll:

Those buns are absolutely GORGEOUS! The REW especially! That second picture is just too cute.. what a mop of a bun, I love it! The maintenance would be insane (i would always be fretting, even when they were already well groomed, LOL!) but what lovely buns! I bet they are just the best to snuggle with.

they are wonderful I love the longhairs I have 2 angoras that live here and they get clipped so that their fur is not allowed to get a mess, the white one reminds me of 1 I used to have yrs ago

Elaine

What beautiful bunnies!! :love: :love: !t least there isn't as much to groom on them as a dog. I bet they quite enjoy it really, Molly only has short hair but he loves to be brushed.

My two live in the house with two dogs and completely rule them.

Back