• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Long term pain relief options

Jolysium

Mama Doe
Hi bunny experts. My little 12 year old, Freda, has had arthritis for years. She’s been on max dose loxicom for about five years and on cartrophen injections for about three years, becoming gradually more frequent, so we’re now at one every four weeks. I’m worried it’s just not enough for her recently, she’s slowed down and stopped doing her usual big runs and binkies. We’ll be going to the vet for a review. Does anyone know what the next step would be? Has anyone got bunnies on other meds for arthritis that work well for them? Would just like to have some ideas and understanding before we get to the vet so that I can make the right choices for her. Thanks [emoji4]
5e8ba8ed90730b5212e610c14b095a4a.jpg

She's very cute. :love: What a wonderful age, too. I can't help you with medication, as my arthritic bunny is only on Metacam, but I've been reading this week about how physiotherapy and cold laser therapy can help with arthritis in bunnies (acupuncture, too, apparently, but I haven't looked into that yet). Would that be an option for her that you could discuss with her vet?

Hi bunny experts. My little 12 year old, Freda, has had arthritis for years. She’s been on max dose loxicom for about five years and on cartrophen injections for about three years, becoming gradually more frequent, so we’re now at one every four weeks. I’m worried it’s just not enough for her recently, she’s slowed down and stopped doing her usual big runs and binkies. We’ll be going to the vet for a review. Does anyone know what the next step would be? Has anyone got bunnies on other meds for arthritis that work well for them? Would just like to have some ideas and understanding before we get to the vet so that I can make the right choices for her. Thanks [emoji4]
5e8ba8ed90730b5212e610c14b095a4a.jpg

Tramadol
Gabapentin
Paracetamol
Buprenorphine
Photobiomodulation therapy( Cold laser/ low laser therapy)
Acupuncture
Physiotherapy
Extracorporeal Shockwave Therapy
Turmeric dietary supplements

Glucosamine is used in dogs and people and I heard it helps some. I am not sure if it can be used for bunnies.
She is very cute!

Thanks for the advice [emoji4] We saw the vet and decided adding in some calpol would be the best option for now. It does seem to be helping her a bit, we’ve had super fast zooms and binkies this morning, plus she LOVES it and tries to snatch the syringe from me [emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back