• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Living in style

So what would a time served carpenter do with all his left over timber and plastics? Skip it? Nope, not me. I build things, usually to the frustration of my wife :twisted:

So here is something she actually approved of. A two-storey semi-detached upper class abode for my two gorgeous Lionheads

DSC00483.jpg

DSC00484.jpg

And a few pics during various stages of construction

DSC00335.jpg

DSC00337.jpg

DSC00338.jpg

DSC00339.jpg

DSC00344.jpg

DSC00345.jpg

DSC00346.jpg

DSC00349.jpg

DSC00350.jpg

DSC00351.jpg

DSC00352.jpg

DSC00353.jpg

DSC00354.jpg

DSC00355.jpg

DSC00358.jpg

The outer walls are constructed from 2"x1" and insulated with 50mm polystyrene. The inner wall is constructed from 1 1/2" x 3/4" tile lathe and insulated with 25mm ploystyrene. The rear of the abode is made from an old window frame and I have fitted 25mm polycarbonate sheeting. The roof is basically a conservatory roof fitted with the same 25mm polycarbonate sheeting. The windows on the first floor are 28mm sealed units fitted with Low E glass and all of the outside cladding is plastic.

I fitted the rabbit doors (not cat flaps :lol: ) so that Father Jack and Mrs Doyle can come and go freely but I have made sure the locks are on the outside lol. Our garden is in several layers facing uphill from the house and although they don't have a permanent run yet, it is my intention to make over the first level purely for their use with an enclosed run. The semi sits on the concreted area at the back of the house and there is a 14" step up to the first layer of garden, hence the reason the rabbit doors are off the upstairs gallery.

I originally fitted hardboard to line the insides because that is what I had a load of but I think I shall be changing that for ply after Christmas seeing as Jack has a habit of spraying everywhere :evil:

That is so cute!:D
With the plastic windows though, I would make sure it isnt in direct sun, as it looks like it could heat up fast.:)

wow - what great workman ship! I love the insualtion being built in...great for the winter months & the plan for their new garden sounds wonderful! Pic so these buns please! When do they move in!?:wave::wave::wave:

wow - what great workman ship! I love the insualtion being built in...great for the winter months & the plan for their new garden sounds wonderful! Pic so these buns please! When do they move in!?:wave::wave::wave:

They moved in about two weeks ago and they are loving it. Just a shame the weather is being so moody at the moment :evil:

As regards the heat, there is plenty of constant ventilation built in. If I need more in the summer months, I'll fit some extractor units (PC case fans) to shift the air a bit.

That is amazing.

Please can we gets some 'in-situ' pictures please? Inclusive, obviously of the inhabitants :D

have you considered building and selling hutches?! This is brilliant! People would pay good money for a hutch this well made and as you probably know theres not alot of well made hutches on the market. Lucky rabbits :D x

The hutch is built onto an extra large pallet, about 5'4" wide and about 4'2" deep. The whole thing is just under 4' high.

The previous hutch I built was about the same width but only just over 2' deep inside. I gave that one away on Freecycle a few weeks ago.

Anyway, a few more pics from this afternoon.

DSC00499.jpg

DSC00500.jpg

DSC00501.jpg

DSC00502.jpg

And this is their previous hutch

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00122.jpg

have you considered building and selling hutches?! This is brilliant! People would pay good money for a hutch this well made and as you probably know theres not alot of well made hutches on the market. Lucky rabbits :D x

The wife keeps telling me I should. maybe I ought to listen :lol:

I LOVE that hutch, and you have 2 absolutely gorgeous bunnies :love:

If you did make hutches and sell them I'd so buy one!

I would offer to make you one to your own spec and to suit your budget but I won't because I have no doubt the post would be removed by admin :lol:

Seriously though, please feel free to PM me if you want something building.

That rabbit house (won't call it a hutch coz it's posh :lol:) is amazing! You should do as others suggested and make and sell them, people would love to spoil their bun with one of those. :love:

Back