• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Little Bill Boblet has Bloat- Now John-Boy Too-U/D 1950hrs Post 55

see one metion of the vets and dental and he gets better i think little bill is trying to say somthing here:lol::lol::lol::lol:

I've missed all this! I'm so glad i got to the end of this thread to find that Little Bill is on the mend xxx

Little Bill is now fine but yesterday John-Boy developed the same symptoms- anorexia/bloat.

It is DEFINATELY not 'teeth' with either of them. I think its all MY fault. I have been giving them a handful of grass these past few mornings. How could I be so :censored: stupid to give them the lush newgrowth when they dont have acess to grass every day.

I dont know if the fact that Little Bill and John-Boy *might* have a congenital gut problem (that killed all three of their Sisters :cry:) is a contributary factor.
But if John-Boy dies I will NEVER forgive myself. God, its not bloody rocket science that newgrowth lush grass can easily cause bloat.

Maybe I should just rehome my Rabbits. I feel I keep failing them however hard I try to do the right thing

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Oh Jane, it's not your fault, you do everything for your babies. Sometimes these things happen due to nothing you have done wrong.

Hugs to you and John Boy.

Jane please don't blame yourself! You more than anybody knows how complex rabbits are and how much guesswork is involved.

For the record I'm giving Artie grass/dandelions only instead of spring greens to avoid him getting bloat and I might just be fast-tracking him to bloat by the sounds of it :roll: When he was six month old at Easter 2005 he had bloat as I'd given him too many dandelions, I didn't know then but the penny should have dropped for me long before reading what you've just written, but it didn't :?

;) There is nobody better qualified to care for rabbits than yourself but you're only a fallible hooman at the end of the day, you will misjudge every now and again no matter how much you do. *Goes off to pick some tough old grass for a cheeky black lop*

*sending wind passing vibes*

Last edited:
oh Jane, you are such a worry wort...no hooman does more for their buns than you, you are just tired and anxious.

have a reviving cup of tea and a bourbon biscuit...it always works for me :lol:

Jane, you're human, which means you're not perfect. You do absolutely everything for those buns, and they know it. They know how good their life is. They would be far worse off if they were rehomed.

We all 'slip up' and do things we then regret, but that is because we are human. All we can do is do the best we can at the time, which is exactly what you are doing.

There was no knowing the grass would cause a problem, and given 3 siblings have already died, chances are this is actually nothing to do with you, but more to do with them, although I do appreciate it is easier to blame ourselves than realise it is not within our control.

By blaming yourself you are adding to the suffering you are already struggling with because John-Boy is ill. You're suffering far too much and by placing judgements on the situation (that may not be true), you add more pain, which you really don't need.

I truly hope he makes a speedy recovery.

Glad Little Bill is feeling better.

Don't be so tough on yourself though - we'd all be fantastic if we had the benefit of hindsight.
I'm sure with your care John-Boy will soon be feeling better.

Sending lots of vibes from all of us here. Don't blame yourself Jane you do a bloody fantastic job of looking after all of your bunnies xxx

Jane, it's not your fault, we all make little mistakes from time to time, normally at this time of year the grass would be fine, it is probably just the recent rains that have encouraged newer growth, but I really feel that your buns must have an underlying susceptibility in the first place. We almost lost Poppy a few months ago from the most awful bloat and impaction and all because I dropped that blimmin' jar on her head when it rolled off my lap! I felt SO guilty, and nothing Mr PL could say would take that guilt away, but as has been said already we are ALL human beings, and it is our mistakes that make us human.

You are not a robot, you look after countless rabbits often under extreme stress with little rest or sleep no doubt, please be a little kinder on yourself, these things happen! How about the time my Nino smashed all his lovely newly burred incisors? All because I turned my back for a second and Poppy pushed him out the hutch - I seem to repeatedly cause my buns to 'have accidents'! But the other gift of being human is that we hopefully learn from these mistakes. I'm sure there's not a member on here who has not made a mistake in some way with their buns!

I have no doubt you are doing everything possible for your buns, especially the poorly ones, you can do no more than your best you know. So please have that cup of tea and a sit down and I am sure your buns tums will be just fine with some extra nursing. Lots of get well vibes all round :)

Hoping everything's looking a bit better. As everyone else has already said....Stop Beating Yourself Up, Jane! If you think you're a poor bunny mummy where does that leave the rest of us !! lol. Chin up girl.:) Whopping great vibes winging their way South!!

Thanks everyone.
We (me and Christobel) have thrown all possible meds at John-Boy today and in the last couple of hours I *think* we have turned the corner. JB is nibbling hay and is able to sit up and hop about a bit. I dont want to tempt fate by saying too much more. But I have some hope now :)

Sending lots of vibes for John-Boy and hugs for you xx
Please don't blame yourself. If anybody is to blame, that's the :censored: irresponsible breeder who bred bunnies with hereditary problems.

I hope your poorly buns are improving now.
Don't blame yourself, I'm certain the problem is something inherent to them, not something you have done xx

just wanted to send positive vibes for them both and glad they seem to have turned a corner its heading in right direction and with you for a nurse they couldnt ask for better the only place id like to be if i was a sick bunny.

Pls dont blame yourself youre the best and your relentless care and good heart goes without saying any bunny living with you is blessed.

tke care
gill:)

Back