• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Litter tray - best litter for not getting everywhere

thorny

New Kit
Hello there,

We have a 3 year old english lop rabbit who we have indoors with us. During the day he has complete free roam of the house (as well as the dog) except upstairs rooms. In the evening he goes into his large cage in his own room (yes he has his own bedroom in the house!).

My question relates to his litter trays. We currently have wood shavings in there on top of a layer of newspaper and has been like this for sometime, however after reading a few posts on here it would seem we should look towards an alternative product due to respiratory issues in rabbits caused by this type of litter? We clean him out each day if required but the mess that 'Bunny' is leaving of wood shavings once he's hopped out of his corner littler tray is becoming a bit of a nuisance, especially on carpets as it just get's absolutely everywhere.

We have tried wood pellets and whilst these worked in terms of the mess 'Bunny' had a nasty reaction to them and ended up with Urine burns on his paws and bum. We've also tried adding hay on top of the shavings to no avail, he simply removes it (he must be the only bunny not to eat while he defacates).

I've seen the brand Megazorb being bounded about in several posts and google searches but is this going to resolve the 'mess' issue?

TIA

I have 2 indoor rabbits, I use megazorb topped with hay in their litterbox and I've never had a problem with mess from megazorb. Hay is a different story, there's always a few strands dotted about the room but that's mainly due to one of my bunnies being an angora cross so it tends to stick to his fur then drop off wherever he goes. I've never used megazorb on its own so I don't know if it does make a mess without the hay on top, hopefully someone else can advise.

Appreciate your response Casco, I think im going to head to the local 'feed store' tomorrow and see if they stock MegaZorb, are there any alternative brands of the same type of littler or is it MegaZorb or nothing?

We use back 2 nature, which is pellets of recycled paper. We buy from Amazon. No mess from that, just the hay as Casco says :)

are there any alternative brands of the same type of littler or is it MegaZorb or nothing?

Its just one type / brand for megazorb although there are many other litters available - megazorb is the only one I've used so far so I have nothing to compare it to.

The litter tray you use might also have an effect on the amount of litter that gets knocked out - I use an underbed storage box so that has quite high sides therefore the contents are more likely to stay in the tray.

I use newspaper topped up with hay. Underbed storage boxes make very good litter trays but if you don't want to use newspaper, Aubiose is a good substrate. You have to buy it in a big sack though but it would last a long time for one bunny. :thumb: You can also use cat litter, non-clumping type.

We use back-2-nature. We normally purchase it from kennel gate but recently found it cheaper from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I just use newspaper straw and hay in underbed storage boxes. They are outside now but used it when they wre indoors as well. Easy to clean up and cheap to buy.

Back