• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Lettuce!

Aw thank you, I think I've just lost a lot of confidence in myself at the moment.

I think that happens to all of us, I know I always doubt myself. But knowing that there is a very Rabbit Savvy Vet to give sound advice is the most important thing. I know your Vet has helped my Vet with some of my Rabbit's complicated problems and I will always be profoundly grateful to him.

I don't because I don't see the point, there's plenty of other stuff I can find to feed them that they enjoy and are also higher in fibre and that don't upset Mini's tummy.

But hey, that's me, what do I know? ;)

I remember Marie Kubiak posting in the forum years ago regarding someone saying "can rabbits eat X, (I don't even remember what it was)" and she said just because they can doesn't mean they should. So yes, rabbits can eat lettuce, I think the point is it won't harm them, if there's something more appropriate to give them then that makes far more sense to do so. FHB recommended I give Artie romaine because of the water content - that doesn't mean its appropriate for all rabbits or should be their staple diet.

Sadly despite Marie K offering her advice people just kept on about all the exotic stuff they fed their rabbits rather than listening to what was best to feed them.

I believe iceberg shouldn't be fed due to it containing something which can be harmful to rabbits.
I don't feed mine any light coloured lettuce because there's so little nutrition to it and it has virtually no fibre, but I have fed them small quantities of dark leafy lettuce.

I don't feed my rabbits any sort of lettuce; they have plenty of veg and herbs though. Apart from anything else, I never feel there is any 'goodness' in lettuce.

Well I don't feed mine lettuce...only because we don't eat it! I've heard romaine is the best as its fibrous?
Mine get cauliflower leaves, broccoli stalks and carrot peel instead :thumb:

I had to look up courgette as I forgot what it was. :oops:
I used to love zucchini...but it doesn't love me. :( I never knew you could feed that to bunnies. I may have to try some with mine. :)
Does it need peeling or the seeds removed?
It's about the one thing Lopsy won't eat, at all.

just because they can doesn't mean they should.
I think that's the most important advice! Applies to whatever you're feeding whomever! Just because I CAN eat a whole chocolate bunny that weighs more than my real one, doesn't mean I SHOULD ;P At least, not in just one day... :lol:

Lopsy doesn't get lettuce: when I want lettuce, it's forage season and blow me if I'm going to share paid-for things with him in free-food season! He does get celery and cucumber ends, and carrot peelings or anything else that's going, but he's getting bramble, hawthorn, goose-grass and various other stuff all the time now :)

I remember Marie Kubiak posting in the forum years ago regarding someone saying "can rabbits eat X, (I don't even remember what it was)" and she said just because they can doesn't mean they should. So yes, rabbits can eat lettuce, I think the point is it won't harm them, if there's something more appropriate to give them then that makes far more sense to do so. FHB recommended I give Artie romaine because of the water content - that doesn't mean its appropriate for all rabbits or should be their staple diet.

Sadly despite Marie K offering her advice people just kept on about all the exotic stuff they fed their rabbits rather than listening to what was best to feed them.

What a shame BB :cry: People get set ideas and sometimes don't want to change despite the facts. I can think of many other areas of life where that applies too.

If lettuce had no nutrients, why would tortoises (who carry SO much weight and need to be strong) eat so much of it when available?

:lol::lol:

Mine have celery. Along with courgette it's quite low calorie and low calcium

I wouldn't eat that myself, so I wouldn't give it to the rabbits...;):lol:

its certainly interesting to know what other people do.

I dont feed my Rabbits any type of lettuce at all :)
now, this is a voice I trust...:thumb:

no laudanum, apparently http://www.dried-vegetables.co.uk/lettuce/
which is a shame as I'd pictured myself blotting out my cares by munching on 20 iceberg lettuce...

Last edited:
What a shame BB :cry: People get set ideas and sometimes don't want to change despite the facts. I can think of many other areas of life where that applies too.

If lettuce had no nutrients, why would tortoises (who carry SO much weight and need to be strong) eat so much of it when available?
Same reason kids eat sweets until they're sick?
It doesn't have nothing, but most lettuce is nutritionally poor compared to alternatives.

I wouldn't eat that myself, so I wouldn't give it to the rabbits...;):lol:

its certainly interesting to know what other people do.

now, this is a voice I trust...:thumb:

no laudanum, apparently http://www.dried-vegetables.co.uk/lettuce/
which is a shame as I'd pictured myself blotting out my cares by munching on 20 iceberg lettuce...

With all due respect to everyone on this Forum, I personally would trust Frances Harcourt-Brown's opinion of lettuce - that's it's absolutely fine for rabbits :D

I personally don't eat hay, readigrass or pellets, but that fact doesn't stop me feeding them to my rabbits. They are a different species with nutritional requirements different to my own :thumb:

Last edited:
With all due respect to everyone on this Forum, I personally would trust Frances Harcourt-Brown's opinion of lettuce - that's it's absolutely fine for rabbits :D

:lol: but you know frances harcourt-brown and I only know what's said here (I recall someone finding her offhand). I don't buy books, go to courses on rabbit care etc. I trust jane to care about her bunnies and be knowledgeable. I wouldn't ask her to perform surgery on my rabbits (I could ask because I'm confident she'd say no and point me in the right direction...) but just because someone is a 'name' it doesn't mean i'll trust them. in fact, it makes me more wary. but then, that's just my nature.

:lol: but you know frances harcourt-brown and I only know what's said here (I recall someone finding her offhand). I don't buy books, go to courses on rabbit care etc. I trust jane to care about her bunnies and be knowledgeable. I wouldn't ask her to perform surgery on my rabbits (I could ask because I'm confident she'd say no and point me in the right direction...) but just because someone is a 'name' it doesn't mean i'll trust them. in fact, it makes me more wary. but then, that's just my nature.

Fair enough HB - I understand :wave:

So, I'll put my scrubs and scalpels away now shall I.............................;)

Personally I think it's silly to trust anything that you hear without doing a little independent research, whether it comes from an expert in the field or the collective opinion of an interested group.

I would never trust "I feed my rabbit X all the time and they're fine" to mean that the food is actually fine, either. My rabbits devour the wild leek, primroses and plum twigs in my garden given half a chance and so far I've seen no ill-effects, doesn't mean I'm about to ignore all the sources that say these things are harmful and let them have at it.

Personally I think it's silly to trust anything that you hear without doing a little independent research, whether it comes from an expert in the field or the collective opinion of an interested group.

I would never trust "I feed my rabbit X all the time and they're fine" to mean that the food is actually fine, either. My rabbits devour the wild leek, primroses and plum twigs in my garden given half a chance and so far I've seen no ill-effects, doesn't mean I'm about to ignore all the sources that say these things are harmful and let them have at it.

I agree. Also, it can become very confusing when 'experts' in the same field have completely different opinions !!

I eat a lot of chocolate and cake when available doesn't mean I should or that its good for me!!

To me a rabbits diet should be as close as possible to its natural wild diet, after all it hasn't done them any harm over hundreds of years has it

Back