• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Kitten + Critical Care = chaos

Terra

New Kit
Our kitten, Apollo, has previously shown an interest in Martial's Critical Care (i.e. he stole it off the kitchen counter the other day while I was feeding Martial) so I've made sure to keep it in the sealed foil pouch, inside a zip-lock bag to hide the smell, in a closed kitchen cupboard. Today I got home from work to find that Apollo has learned how to open cupboard specifically to break into the Critical Care and it is everywhere. There's two piles of it in the kitchen, six piles in the living room, two on the stairs and two in my bedroom. And then he apparently took the packet back downstairs to leave it for me to find.

https://www.instagram.com/p/Ca2xVR5s1pO/

What on earth does a cat want with recovery food for herbivores? What was he doing with it to spread it around so far?? Is there secretly catnip mixed into it??? £23 and another trip to the vets to get a new packet later, suffice to say he's not in my best books today lol :censored::lol:

You can use toddler-proof cupboard catches to stop kitty getting in. I use the internal hook type ones, so you open the door slightly and just push the hook bit off the plate. Nothing shows on the outside, they are easy to fit, and you soon get used to using it.

You could store it in the fridge for now.

I've had to start using the microwave as a pet-proof temporary cupboard - it's not that convenient when you need to use the microwave, though. I have cats who will eat almost anything in in the way of normal food in the kitchen if I am careless enough to leave it out. I also have a large lurcher that can get through the cat flap bit of the dog gate which is supposed to keep him out of the kitchen. He can sniff out chocolate and all kinds of forbidden goodies and will open just about any container to get to it. Tonight, it was a tub of fish, blood & bone plant food that I hadn't got as far as putting away after a trip to a garden centre - rescued just before he opened the tub with his muzzle on (which is to stop him chewing stuff when I'm out & choking on it as he usually gets it stuck across the roof of his mouth).

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331778124788?hash=item4d3f846bf4:g:ZcAAAMXQueRRYnsJ

I've stored the new packet inside a clip-lock box in my locking filing cabinet. He's not getting it this time :lol: I have ordered some child locks, but thank you for the link.

Apollo will also eat more or less anything. This is the first time I've lived with a kitten so I'm not sure if the general level of chaos he causes is normal or if his siblings kicked him in the head a few too many times when he was a baby! Your lurcher sounds like a handful and a half too. Fish blood & bone though...I can't think of much that's less appetising!

Back