• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Using Science Selective as a critical care

One of my bunnies has teeth and roots issues and although she’ll eat her veggies and a bowl of Science Selective with added water, at night, her eating is less reliable in the day. Consequently I give her some Emeraid Herbivore a couple of times a day, otherwise she often doesn’t eat enough and her poos are smaller. She has Loxicom twice daily.

I’ve just realised we haven’t got a spare bag on Emeraid and even with express post, with bank holidays, it’s likely to be Thursday, or more likely Friday, or even Saturday until we can get some more delivered.

We have some Oxbow, but she’s really not keen and gets quite upset, so until then, do I try the Supreme or Excel critical care, which I can have delivered tomorrow with Amazon Prime, or do I just try to liquify the Science Selective and syringe her that? She’s an easily overwhelmed bunny, so there’s a big worry that the Supreme and Excel critical care will distress her too. One of the best things about the Emeraid is that she likes it.

Just make a liquid feed using the SS pellets. I soak them in boiled water and when soft I mash them up, adding more water if needs be to make the feed to a consistency suitable to syringe feed.

Just make a liquid feed using the SS pellets. I soak them in boiled water and when soft I mash them up, adding more water if needs be to make the feed to a consistency suitable to syringe feed.

Thank you. Emeraid has been such a game changer, because the bunnies actually like it. I thought it would be better to at least use something she likes the taste of. I wouldn’t have use boiled water, so that’s a great tip, thank you. Obviously, I’ll make sure it’s cooled down before feeding.

I've been using it for Odin, but instead of soaking them whole I whizzed them up in a little food chopper (or food processor) and then could mix with cold water as needed. They whizz down really well, and it meant I could do a small storage box of it ready for a few days. I also whizzed up some readigrass to add to it at times to increase the grass/hay intake.

I used to grind up loads of SS with some dried forage

She sounds like a bunny knows her own mind. I hope she takes to them ok

I've been using it for Odin, but instead of soaking them whole I whizzed them up in a little food chopper (or food processor) and then could mix with cold water as needed. They whizz down really well, and it meant I could do a small storage box of it ready for a few days. I also whizzed up some readigrass to add to it at times to increase the grass/hay intake.

Thank you. I’ve never thought of using readigrass in this way. I’ll definitely give that a try. She won’t eat hay, not even readigrass ��, so this might be nice for her.

Back