• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Keeping Rex Rabbits Outside

I had a rex x nethie and she seemed fine outside. Well out in an insulated shed with plenty of newspaper, straw and hay so not completely outside.

Yes as long as the accommodation is well insulated, damp and draught free and the substrate used for bedding is suitable ie no concrete, carpet, Lino, vinyl. The Rabbit cannot be transitioned from indoor to outdoor living at this time of year. It would need to be done in the mid to late spring when overnight temperatures never fall below 10c.

We had a family of 4 Rex rabbits live perfectly happily outside :) They lived in the same accommodation as now occupied by Tui and Froe, ie a shed plus outside areas. I bet you will love having a Rex :love:

We had a family of 4 Rex rabbits live perfectly happily outside :) They lived in the same accommodation as now occupied by Tui and Froe, ie a shed plus outside areas. I bet you will love having a Rex :love:

It isn't for me! It is for the person I replied to asking if she can put her 2 outside after being indoors for 2 weeks. She has two 6 month old Rex Mini Lops and I was worried about them.

It isn't for me! It is for the person I replied to asking if she can put her 2 outside after being indoors for 2 weeks. She has two 6 month old Rex Mini Lops and I was worried about them.

If they have been in a centrally heated house for two weeks personally I would NOT put them back out now. I would not do so regardless of their breed type.

The lady can't keep them indoors because she has Dogs. Mind you, the temperature has been up and down for months, I have felt so sorry for them.

The lady can't keep them indoors because she has Dogs. Mind you, the temperature has been up and down for months, I have felt so sorry for them.

If the lady is adamant that the Rabbits must go back outside then do advise her to make certain she does everything possible to insure they are able to remain warm and dry. She will need to be very vigilant of their gut motility, monitoring BOTH input and output carefully. This information would be useful to share with her

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/outdoor-housing-in-cold-weather/

Many thanks Jane. The lady hasn't been on here for a day or two so I will wait to see if she comes on today.

Back