• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

just had the biggest shock ever never seen him like tht.

i have always got low to the ground and "thumped" and said no! when I dont want them doing something they do actually learn sometimes they grunt and thump back as if to say spoilsport grrrrrrr lol

lol i might try that seems like a good idea ill see how he responds next time.

right ill try them too.

as for the handling i am trying with him and it is sinking in a bit i think because for him to be able to run around i have to pick him up and put him on my bed. so i think that is starting to sink in a bit hes fighting a lot less but he is still putting up a big fight. ive got large scratch marks from my collat bone to the botton of my chest plate. he did that when i had to put him back in which is always a big fight between me and him he hides i find him i coax him i go to pick him he runs off and i catch him and fight with him trying to not let him win and put him in his cage quickly cause i dont wanna drop him.

i dont like fighting with him at all. its horrible. :(. i know in the end its for a good thing but still i know myself how much he hates it

Try not to fight him, it will make it a horrid experience and he will hate it more.

Some bunnies struggle less when held close to the body, my bun doesnt like it. He knows that being held close means he is being HELD not just moved, so he struggles more. You need to get it over and done with as quick as possible. Hand under chest, hand under bum, up, down, praise. Simples.

Over time you can work up to holding him for longer, but for now you just need to focus on making it as positive an experience as possible.

Try not to fight him, it will make it a horrid experience and he will hate it more.

Some bunnies struggle less when held close to the body, my bun doesnt like it. He knows that being held close means he is being HELD not just moved, so he struggles more. You need to get it over and done with as quick as possible. Hand under chest, hand under bum, up, down, praise. Simples.

Over time you can work up to holding him for longer, but for now you just need to focus on making it as positive an experience as possible.

when i do hold him i hold him close but i have tried one hand under the chest and one under bum but if u go to do that he runs off he jumps out of ur grip and does a runner. so i place a hand on each side of him and pick him up and put him to my body and then quickly down i dont get a chance to praise cause he runs of kicking the air if i try to praise him he ignores me and turns his back on me. :( even if i food so i stroke his head and put food down some where he can see it.

when mine are being naughty, I clap, it distracts them, normally enough to move them on from what they were doing in the first place, but if not I give them another distraction, a treat, a toy, a box to jump all over and destroy, its always worked for me....

now Ive thought of it, its only 2 out of the 6 bunnies i have that ever need this, sisters, who'd have em :roll::lol:

When ruby is being naughty - which is often- I make a loud noise and if that doesn't work - which is also often- I pick her up and move her, but she doesn't mind being held .

I have another bunny, reggie, who is very well behaved but Hates being picked up. It has taken about a year though but he has finally learnt that picking up isn't a bad thing and I can now carry him round the garden for a few minutes. He likes being held tight to my chest. To tame him I started to sit with him in my knee for a While holding him and also lie down with him on my chest. Then carry him short trips and now he will let me a little more. The best thing really was when I got a new run that I couldn't attach to my hutch so now he knows that pick up time means play time so he puts up with it.

When ruby is being naughty - which is often- I make a loud noise and if that doesn't work - which is also often- I pick her up and move her, but she doesn't mind being held .

I have another bunny, reggie, who is very well behaved but Hates being picked up. It has taken about a year though but he has finally learnt that picking up isn't a bad thing and I can now carry him round the garden for a few minutes. He likes being held tight to my chest. To tame him I started to sit with him in my knee for a While holding him and also lie down with him on my chest. Then carry him short trips and now he will let me a little more. The best thing really was when I got a new run that I couldn't attach to my hutch so now he knows that pick up time means play time so he puts up with it.

i started picking scooter up out to the cage in the hopes that he would asiocate being picked up with a good thing cause he was going out and he doesnt struggle as much but he still puts up a fight.

ill try the things u did they might work.

ok first thing i would say is maybe dont tell your mum of the behaviour scooter is expressing as its only going to add more fuel to the already dislikening she has for him. especially as it was your fault he acted like that in the 1st place. secondly, buns dig... thats what they do. they dig and chew and then they might dig some more. you cant change that about scooter as that is asking him to change his nature. my 2 drive me nuts sometimes, i swear all you can hear in my house sometimes is 'bella dont touch that... jasper get out of there' :roll:
but we're asking them to live in our world, that doesnt mean they will live by our rules. all you can do is try to re direct what he can dig and chew (though i swear mine know what they are not allowed to touch and do it even more :roll:)
have you got the resources to have scooter outside in a hutch and run?? that way he can dig to his hearts content?
or maybe make a dig box, someone had one on here, hopefully they will tell you about it.

as for his kicking when you pick him up.... bella and jasper both do it and bella can hurt. i very rarely pick her up, i sit on the floor with her and let her come to me. or she jumps up and sits on the sofa with me. jasper is to busy binkying to pay much attention to me but he does have a snuggle now and again. each bun is different, this is just scooters personality hun

:wave:

xx

Yes, poking definitely isn't the right way to go! With Oscar when he does something naughty, we just shout his name and he usually stops after a few goes. If not, we just walk over there and move him. We did this with laptop wires and where he chews the carpet, and neither are a problem now.

As others have said, you need to have toys where he can express his natural behaviour. What would people recommend for a digging tray? I would quite like one for Oscar but don't know how to set it up...

I've also 'thumped' and clapping has usually worked too as it startles them out of their naughtiness!

I use a big piece of fleece (pet fleeces are really cheap especially from somewhere like Wilkinsons) for Hollie to dig in. They live outside in a shed plus aviary but they still need something to dig at lol. The fleece is shredded and full of holes - it obviously works at being something safe they enjoy trashing.

Clear carpet protector (the stuff with 'studs' on one side) might be a good solution to digging by the way - very cheap!

Also - not sure I agree rabbits need to get used to being picked up. It goes against all their instincts and I don't force mine to enjoy being picked up because I don't see why I should! So no, Scooter might not ever enjoy being picked up. I think rabbits that enjoy being picked up are the exception rather than the rule. I use treats if I need to get them to go back in their aviary etc.... :p ..... works for my greedy pair! ;)

Yes, poking definitely isn't the right way to go! With Oscar when he does something naughty, we just shout his name and he usually stops after a few goes. If not, we just walk over there and move him. We did this with laptop wires and where he chews the carpet, and neither are a problem now.

As others have said, you need to have toys where he can express his natural behaviour. What would people recommend for a digging tray? I would quite like one for Oscar but don't know how to set it up...

yea id like to know to i hve a spar litter tray atm so i cud use that there is also his cage bottom too. i cud full tht with something.

I've also 'thumped' and clapping has usually worked too as it startles them out of their naughtiness!

I use a big piece of fleece (pet fleeces are really cheap especially from somewhere like Wilkinsons) for Hollie to dig in. They live outside in a shed plus aviary but they still need something to dig at lol. The fleece is shredded and full of holes - it obviously works at being something safe they enjoy trashing.

Clear carpet protector (the stuff with 'studs' on one side) might be a good solution to digging by the way - very cheap!

Also - not sure I agree rabbits need to get used to being picked up. It goes against all their instincts and I don't force mine to enjoy being picked up because I don't see why I should! So no, Scooter might not ever enjoy being picked up. I think rabbits that enjoy being picked up are the exception rather than the rule. I use treats if I need to get them to go back in their aviary etc.... :p ..... works for my greedy pair! ;)

i know scooter will never like it but i think he shud at least get use to the idea cause i need to be able to handle him if its only just a little bit to be able to check him over and stuff. i dont mind that he likes to keep his feet on the ground ive come to accpet that already. ive come to accpet that he may never let me even in old age, yet it still doesnt bother me.

my only hope is that when i get him a friend maybe that one will like to be picked up at least but im prepared if it doesnt like being handled. im getting him a friend for him not for me to snuggle. the important thing is that he likes her and she likes him and thats that. :D

i know scooter will never like it but i think he shud at least get use to the idea cause i need to be able to handle him if its only just a little bit to be able to check him over and stuff. i dont mind that he likes to keep his feet on the ground ive come to accpet that already. ive come to accpet that he may never let me even in old age, yet it still doesnt bother me.

my only hope is that when i get him a friend maybe that one will like to be picked up at least but im prepared if it doesnt like being handled. im getting him a friend for him not for me to snuggle. the important thing is that he likes her and she likes him and thats that. :D

scooter has a duvey cover thats been ripped shud i give him that to dig at. he has several towels, one of my jumpers and a baby fleece.

Back