• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Just discovered baby bunnies,PLEASE HELP...U/D 1 baby gone!

Hi,
mum and babies seem to be doing well,but one baby has obviously been bitten by mum,it has a wound to its ear and bite marks and bruises to its body....im quite concerned about this and dont know why this has happened.
what should i do? if anything :(:(:(:(

she may be over grooming the kit as first times does often do I was lucky and my entire first litter of kits lived you can't do much for him but I would just keep an eye on him I couldn't find the formula so I would suggest just to either leave them with mum or use the warm bottle thing and let the nurse twice a day how old did you say they were again? as I can tell you more if I know the age hope everything goes well as so far it hasn't for me four of my kits died in the past three days and one in my hand:cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

Hi ive had 2 surprise litters from my rabbit. Even though she was a first time mum she was excellent with her babies. Sadly 2 babies died from the first litter as they had crawled/been pushed out of their nest. From the second litter 1 of the 3 babies had been getting bullied from the mum and when he was about 4 days old i went to check on them and noticed he had a little drop of blood on his tail and when i picked him up (mum is really friendly and didnt mind) i noticed that his mum had bitten the top of his tail of as there was teeth marks. when i put him back in the nest mum came over and kept nudging him out of the nest. I kept putting him back and she stopped doing it. Later on i went to check on them again and e was out the nest cuddled up in the opposite corner, i picked him up and noticed tiny little bruise like marks on his body.
At this point i was scared for him and didnt what to keep him with his mum. So i got a medium sized cardboard box and put a towel in the bottom and bought the hamster bedding from a pet shop and filled the box with that and hay and added a small amount of hay/fur from the nest and put him in there. I kept him indoors so he could keep warm and everyday i would keep mum distracted with veggies and treats while the baby got fed and had a plump little tummy. i would them use a cotton bud dipped in warm water to wipe his bottom to help him pee (as mother rabbits do this for them), once he had peed i would clean up the mess and dry him and put him back in his box. He is now 6 months old and live with his brother who i gradually introduced him to once they had both been neutered. I feel if it weren't for me mummy rabbit would of killed him so i have given him a chance to live.
I hope that your rabbit isnt bullying her baby as looking after them is hard work and takes up a lot of time.
Good luck with your bunnies :wave::D:bunny:

she may be over grooming the kit as first times does often do.

i did start a reply like this but thought i might be wrong so didn't post it :oops: but definately agree about the overgrooming thing. i really would leave mum to it, she'll know what she's doing. :wave:

i did start a reply like this but thought i might be wrong so didn't post it :oops: but definately agree about the overgrooming thing. i really would leave mum to it, she'll know what she's doing. :wave:

yeah at first it's hard to tell if it is on purpose but most the time it is just over grooming but I still like to keep an eye on them

Back