• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Jumping out of the run?! PLEASE HELP

Mae

Young Bun
Hi there~

So my two bunnies Pipkin and Dandelion live in my bedroom in a run.
I appreciate that rabbits are most active at dawn and dusk (hence why this is at 8am) however this is ridiculous.

So, before I got them, we bought both a hutch and run second hand. They were initially going to live in the hutch in the shed, however upon getting them it was decided that they'll live in my bedroom.

It's a 4ft run which I know isn't the biggest, and rabbits welfare etc however I didn't know that they would be living in my room.

The lid of the run does not fit on. It literally is a couple of inches short one way and just falls in, and a few centimetres the other so if it is nudged it falls in (literally only balances) so obviously with 2 buns hopping around it'll get nudged and it is quite heavy so I don't want them to get hurt.

I've only had them a week and they're only 5 weeks old so I didn't think they would learn how to hop this high yet.

In the beginning I had their house in the corner and Dandelion would sit on top of it, and I was worried that she would jump out so I moved it. I moved their litter box to that corner as that is where they spend a lot of time eating hay and I couldn't see it from my bed where it was.

So when I put the hay racks up (bare in mind only the small £5 from PaH) she would sit on top of those.

When I go to school or have to leave them alone I draped a sheet over the two corners that they could get out over and it worked (it was tight not loose) until this morning.

Dandelion woke me up at 6.30 (I have an inset day from school! My one day to sleep in!) but that's okay. However, she was sitting on top of the sheet and promptly hopped out. So I put her back in, and pulled the sheet tight again. I spent the next 10 minutes watching her and Pipkin both struggle to climb up the sheet before sliding down again with the occasional hopping out from Dandelion.

Then it became more frequent. Dandelion would hop out every other time, so I pulled it so the sheet only covered the hay racks so that if she sat on them, she wouldn't be able to jump out.

So I tried to go back to sleep but she managed it and jumped out. So I took the sheet away and removed the hay racks from the side of the run (there's still hay in the litter box) and I thought that would solve it.

They're only 5 weeks old, Dandelion is literally tiny and can sit in the palm of my hand, but she jumped out. From the ground. Out of the run. I considered putting the lid on and trying to balance, but I tried and it fell in (I had the good sense to remove buns) so gave up on that.

I don't know what to do. My mum doesn't get paid until the end of October I think so buying a new lid or some kind of wire is out of the question.

But I've had to get Dandelion on my lap now because I'd write a sentence or two and she'd be out.

Please help me!

Sadly the only thing I can suggest is finding a different run that is higher. I had the same problem when mine were young and I ended up pegging a bed sheet to the top to stop them jumping out, until I got my 5 foot indoor enclosure built.

I'd also just like to point out that you should not have your bunnies at 5 weeks old? That's is FAR too young for a bunny to be away from its mother, they should not be away until minimum 8 weeks old, did you get them from a breeder or pet shop?

If so I would be tempted to complain, when I got my bunnies, they were 6 weeks old and I joined here, I was told that 6 weeks was far too early, Milo now has some tummy issues which he has needed vet treatment and nursing through the nights for twice, I know this is linked to him being taken away from his mum too early...being away from their mothers too early is linked to many health issues later on.

Last edited:
Sadly the only thing I can suggest is finding a different run that is higher. I had the same problem when mine were young and I ended up pegging a bed sheet to the top to stop them jumping out, until I got my 5 foot indoor enclosure built.

I'd also just like to point out that you should not have your bunnies at 5 weeks old? That's is FAR too young for a bunny to be away from its mother, they should not be away until minimum 8 weeks old, did you get them from a breeder or pet shop?

If so I would be tempted to complain, when I got my bunnies, they were 6 weeks old and I joined here, I was told that 6 weeks was far too early, Milo now has some tummy issues which he has needed vet treatment and nursing through the nights for twice, I know this is linked to him being taken away from his mum too early...being away from their mothers too early is linked to many health issues later on.

I was thinking the same thing... And yeah, I know its far too early, when we were given them (from a farm) the lady who was supposed to give them to us was out so her husband did it and told us that they were 12 weeks old... only for us to find out they were 5

I was thinking the same thing... And yeah, I know its far too early, when we were given them (from a farm) the lady who was supposed to give them to us was out so her husband did it and told us that they were 12 weeks old... only for us to find out they were 5

That's shocking. The babies could very well have issues later in life because of this. :( I hope you get your run situation sorted out, but these people really should be informed that its dangerous to let kits go so young, they should really be reported, although i'm not sure who is best to go to...someone might advise.

They will most likely need a probiotic to ensure their tummies are as healthy as they can be. I am not 100% on which one is the best to use but I'm hoping someone will come along and advise what can be done here.

Last edited:
As a cheap way of getting the lid to fit the run, can you get some lengths of wood such as these and fasten them on the edges of the lid so that they are slightly longer than the edges of the run? If they overlap the edges slightly (an inch or so), the lid won't fall in. These are 44mm wide so might be big enough to fill the gap at the edges as well. Other sizes are available if these aren't quite right.

You could fasten them with wire or cable ties, although the best option would be to screw them on with some shorter pieces of wood to sandwich the mesh lid. For about £5, you could modify what you have and make it safer.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Whitewood-PSE-18x44x1800mm-Single/p/107009

I am assuming the lid is a flat, solid wire type one, like the sides of the run.

Long term, the run is not high enough if they can jump out now. 4' keeps most rabbits in without a lid / something to jump off (although it wouldn't keep predators out). 3' high with a lid is a safe bet as it allows them to binky without hitting the lid.

As a cheap way of getting the lid to fit the run, can you get some lengths of wood such as these and fasten them on the edges of the lid so that they are slightly longer than the edges of the run? If they overlap the edges slightly (an inch or so), the lid won't fall in. These are 44mm wide so might be big enough to fill the gap at the edges as well. Other sizes are available if these aren't quite right.

You could fasten them with wire or cable ties, although the best option would be to screw them on with some shorter pieces of wood to sandwich the mesh lid. For about £5, you could modify what you have and make it safer.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Whitewood-PSE-18x44x1800mm-Single/p/107009

I am assuming the lid is a flat, solid wire type one, like the sides of the run.

Long term, the run is not high enough if they can jump out now. 4' keeps most rabbits in without a lid / something to jump off (although it wouldn't keep predators out). 3' high with a lid is a safe bet as it allows them to binky without hitting the lid.

Ah, that is a good idea, thank you. And yes the lid is flat (although has hinges in the middle) and they live in my bedroom so predators aren't a problem but I think in the long term I will have to get a taller run :)

That's shocking. The babies could very well have issues later in life because of this. :( I hope you get your run situation sorted out, but these people really should be informed that its dangerous to let kits go so young, they should really be reported, although i'm not sure who is best to go to...someone might advise.

They will most likely need a probiotic to ensure their tummies are as healthy as they can be. I am not 100% on which one is the best to use but I'm hoping someone will come along and advise what can be done here.

What's probiotic? And I know that I should report them, but they did give them to me for free (after I did my work experience) and they seem to be fine eating and all that... should I get them this probiotic do you think?

I was also thinking about Alfalfa too... is that a good idea?

What's probiotic? And I know that I should report them, but they did give them to me for free (after I did my work experience) and they seem to be fine eating and all that... should I get them this probiotic do you think?

I was also thinking about Alfalfa too... is that a good idea?

Yes, Alfalfa is a VERY good idea, baby rabbits should be eating this until around 6 months old.

Probiotic is something I was advised to give by Jacks-Jane here and another lady who I speak to on Facebook who is a rabbit vet nurse. It helps to balance out the gut flora in a rabbits tummy and ensures their gut is as healthy as it can be.

This is the one Jacks-Jane recommended, but this is a PREbiotic rather than a PRObiotic, there is a difference. I wouldn't use it until someone confirms its safe or you speak to a rabbit savvy vet. I'm not 10% sure how young you can give this to rabbits, although it stated its safe for most species.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/avipro-plus.html

Yes, Alfalfa is a VERY good idea, baby rabbits should be eating this until around 6 months old.

Probiotic is something I was advised to give by Jacks-Jane here and another lady who I speak to on Facebook who is a rabbit vet nurse. It helps to balance out the gut flora in a rabbits tummy and ensures their gut is as healthy as it can be.

This is the one Jacks-Jane recommended, but this is a PREbiotic rather than a PRObiotic, there is a difference. I wouldn't use it until someone confirms its safe or you speak to a rabbit savvy vet. I'm not 10% sure how young you can give this to rabbits, although it stated its safe for most species.

https://www.thehayexperts.co.uk/avipro-plus.html

Thank you very much, I'll get some alfalfa and take them to the vet :3

Can you peg the sheet over the run? This should stop them jumping.

Let us know how you get on at the vets :)

Id have advised the same as above....wow - 5 weeks old..thats so tiny...so pics please! :)

You can also buy a book for foraging...called "Foraging for rabbits" by Twiggs...sold on RWAF..its super cheap only £4, its brilliant - you can go for a walk and pick wild plants that wild bunnies would eat for your own bunnies..its much healthier for them to have a wild variety and some variation is yummy for them too.

http://shop.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/product/foraging-for-rabbits-by-twigs-way/

Id have advised the same as above....wow - 5 weeks old..thats so tiny...so pics please! :)

You can also buy a book for foraging...called "Foraging for rabbits" by Twiggs...sold on RWAF..its super cheap only £4, its brilliant - you can go for a walk and pick wild plants that wild bunnies would eat for your own bunnies..its much healthier for them to have a wild variety and some variation is yummy for them too.

Ah thank you, I'll ask my mum if I can get that! :D

I was going to make a thread in stories and pics, so ill link you? :3

Can you peg the sheet over the run? This should stop them jumping.

Let us know how you get on at the vets :)

I tried to do this before, but as the sides and top of the run are wooden, I can't peg it, and when I tried to put it over, the both of them were jumping all over the top of the sheet, and yes I will :3

Last edited:

http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/showthread.php?449348-5-weeks-old-buns-lots-of-pics! here are the pics haha

They're so cute!

Hmm, shame pegs don't work - would some other kind of clips work? Can you complain about the run if the lid doesn't fit?

I'm sure someone else can confirm but I don't think you should introduce veg/forage until they're a bit older... We're just introducing veg/herbs to our 3 month old boy.

After looking at your pictures I think that they bunnies do look older than 5 weeks old. They are probably more around 8 weeks I think, as long as you provide the good diet of alfalfa and pellets (usually science selective or excel junior) then they should be fine, I wouldn't feed any greens just yet, wait until they are a little older. I didnt give mine any until they were a few months old, but lots of people say 4-6 months.

x

They're so cute!

Hmm, shame pegs don't work - would some other kind of clips work? Can you complain about the run if the lid doesn't fit?

I'm sure someone else can confirm but I don't think you should introduce veg/forage until they're a bit older... We're just introducing veg/herbs to our 3 month old boy.

I got the run 2nd hand so unfortunately no... but yeah, I gave them grass when I thought that they were 12 weeks :3

After looking at your pictures I think that they bunnies do look older than 5 weeks old. They are probably more around 8 weeks I think, as long as you provide the good diet of alfalfa and pellets (usually science selective or excel junior) then they should be fine, I wouldn't feed any greens just yet, wait until they are a little older. I didnt give mine any until they were a few months old, but lots of people say 4-6 months.

x

I've got science selective :3 and I did think that they might be slightly older, but when we were in Pah we looked at the 8 week old rabbits that had just been delivered to them that morning, and they were at least two and a half times the size of Dandelion and twice the size of Pipkin :/

I didn't think a rabbit could climb, but They can! My rabbit Pete, who happens to be a girl, she climbs up on the couch, on the back of the couch, she in fact she goes anywhere that my Chihuahuas and weenie dog go! That's how she learned how to climb she started following them around the house . In fact she think she's a dog, she eats dog food with them, sleeps in the dog bed with them like I said she does everything that they do! Down to playing and rolling around on the floor with them. I've never seen anything like it!

Back