• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Joey - foot update

Joey & I are grateful for all the vibes - thank you for caring about him:love:

I got all excited checking his foot earlier as the lump had gone - doh :oops: wrong foot

Aww poor Joey, so sorry to hear that he has a tumour. Though it sounds like he’s in good hands. I got very scared recently when zigs my 11 year older bun recently had to go for GA xx

I would also probably mix up my buns feet up too!

I wish my rabbits didn't always seem to get health issues rare in rabbits but common in dogs. When I retire I'll probably get a greyhound that will get EC
:lol:

The girls got on well. Boo has a minor, unproblematic spur where she always has one, good body condition & perfect weight (2.5). She did a big pee on the consulting table which I think impressed me more than Paul :lol:

Mousey's review was like it always is. Not much to be done with Mouse - just keeping her comfy for as long as she's happy. She has lost 100g since last consult in June. Her teeth look ok
More honey drugs. Had bit of an ear clean. She didn't pee til she got home & managed mainly in the carrier wedged between fleece & b&W rabbit:love:
Well done Mouse, good travelling! At least if you needed Boo's wee testing she's happy to oblige XD

With Joey, I'd 100% be emailing: maybe start the email with 'why do my rabbits think they're dogs?' :lol: I would also probably be erring on the side watch and wait if it's just a stable lump, as he's a sensitive old soul. I don't think I've yet had a rabbit without spurry teeth :lol: But they all manage them themselves!

We took Joey (& Boo for emotional support) to Crab Lane vets yesterday morning. Ruth was doing surgery & at our consult was surprised his lump had grown & was really doubtful the lump could be cleanly removed. This wasn't news to me based on some email communication with Frances & just how it looks (to my eyes its not grown much though). He had 4 or 5 xrays & unfortunately the tumour has already grown in to his bone. His xrays showed some Spondylitis but nothing else sinister. Ruth didn't feel he was a good candidate for amputation & I totally respect her opinion.
They were able to xray Joey with just sedation. Biopsy wasn't taken as it wouldn't change outcome & would have required full GA & messing my little soldier about more. Frances has seen 3-4 of these tumours in rabbits - they are not as innocuous as I was led to believe at first consult (not in rabbits anyway). She was consulted yesterday & being sent his xrays

So we are just going to keep Joey for as long as he is happy & comfortable . He has been prescribed metacam & tramadol (to use if pain seems worse). At the moment he is unhappy, he has been out of sorts since getting back yesterday evening. As with 12 days ago, I think its just he is a sensitive sausage & hates the travel. This has given me more confidence in decision to not amputate (btw Graicee, Mimz mum...thanks for your kind thoughts - couldn't face going on that thread to reply).

I don't think we'll have Joey long. He's had a good, long-ish & happy life so far & I don't want him living his last days with unmanaged pain or feeling sad

I’m so sorry that it wasn’t better news :cry: I would have done exactly the same thing under the same circumstances. I hope that Joey will cheer up after his travels and that you can have some more quality time together.

Thinking of you and sending hugs and vibes xx

I am so so sorry. Such incredibly sad news. It's one of those that comes out of the blue as the other two seemed to have more health concerns than he did. I am glad that you got Ruth and Frances' input on it even though it has led to a dead end. At least you know that you have advocated your best for the situation.

It's likely not to be a sudden decision, but a carefully prepared one.. but just a reminder that you know where I am should you need me.

Last edited:
You know Joey best, and I think I'd've come to the same decision with the same information and the same sort of rabbit :love: I hope he continues a long healthy happy life of being a bit off with people and generally being Joey :love: I also hope he 'just goes' when his time comes :love:

Big hugs to you and especially Bob :)

I'm sorry :( Thinking of you all. I agree with everything you've said.

Last edited:
So very sorry J & B, and I would have made exactly the same decision as you. Sending a million vibes for your boy, that he may he keep happy and comfortable for as long as possible, and the biggest hug for you xxx

So sorry it’s not the news you hoped for :( Sending lots of love xx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am so sorry that the prognosis wasn´t better :(
I really hope he remains happy and painfree for as long as possible.

I'm so, so sorry Joey's lump has turned out to be more of a danger to his health than was initially thought... :cry: It sounds like you've made the best and kindest decision for him, to not amputate and just keep him comfortable for as long as possible. I would've made the same decision in your circumstances. I'm sorry he's been unhappy since coming back from the vets; I hope he'll get settled and feel happier soon. Please give him some love from me if he'd like that. He's a special boy, and he's been in my thoughts.

Back