• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Jelly is being referred to another vet

I'm glad to hear you finally get some help amd medication for Jelly:)
But I'm sorry to hear about the heart condition. I hope the veterinarian will be able to tell you more about it after he has examined the x-rays!

Hi so Jelly went to the vets for the day today and she had some tests, including an ECG and a further x ray. This showed up that her heart is ok but her lungs aren’t great. The vet flushed her lungs and is waiting on the results of another test, hopefully in about a week. She’s been put under today and had a tube down her throat, and since she’s come back she’s squeaked when I pick her up. Could this be because of the tube? Like a sore throat? I was going to ring the vets again but I don’t want to ring if it’s nothing

I’m sorry her lungs aren’t great. If you are in any doubt, call the vets, they won’t mind you asking about anything you aren’t sure about :wave: I hope the other test result comes back ok. Sending lots of vibes xx

Hi so Jelly went to the vets for the day today and she had some tests, including an ECG and a further x ray. This showed up that her heart is ok but her lungs aren’t great. The vet flushed her lungs and is waiting on the results of another test, hopefully in about a week. She’s been put under today and had a tube down her throat, and since she’s come back she’s squeaked when I pick her up. Could this be because of the tube? Like a sore throat? I was going to ring the vets again but I don’t want to ring if it’s nothing
Poor thing :( I'm not sure, but I'd definitely call them! They won't mind, and it's best to check if you can :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I tried to ring but the answer machine gave an in case of emergency number so I don’t think that’ll be any good because I assume they won’t have access to Jellys records if it’s a different practice? I’m a bit wary of stressing her out by driving her an hour away if there’s not much they can do. I’ve left some cucumber because I feel like if her throat hurts that might help. She’s eaten quite a bit this evening and seems ok, I haven’t touched her since in case that’s hurting her. I need to phone the vets to pay the bill anyway so I’ll speak to them first thing

I tried to ring but the answer machine gave an in case of emergency number so I don’t think that’ll be any good because I assume they won’t have access to Jellys records if it’s a different practice? I’m a bit wary of stressing her out by driving her an hour away if there’s not much they can do. I’ve left some cucumber because I feel like if her throat hurts that might help. She’s eaten quite a bit this evening and seems ok, I haven’t touched her since in case that’s hurting her. I need to phone the vets to pay the bill anyway so I’ll speak to them first thing

It's probably a bit late now but if it's Anton their emergency bit is attached to the practice so they will have access. Hope Jelly is feeling better soon x

Thank you, the squeaking when I touch her has stopped, I’m not sure if it was something to do with her throat. She seems ok this morning, I keep popping back from work to feed her because I want her to gain weight and she’s eating ok. Just got to wait for the test results now

I'm glad that the squeaking has stopped. It seems reasonable to suppose that it was due to the procedure that she had whilst under GA. Also, it's good news that her heart is OK. Have you got to give her any medication for her lungs or do you have to wait for the other test results ? It's reassuring that she is eating :)

Thinking of you and sending lots more vibes for Jelly.

I´m glad to hear the squeking has stop and she is eating :)
Good to hear you have found a vet who help her and try to get to the bottom of it!

I really hope she improves soon:) Feel better Jelly!

The vet is just waiting on these last test results before starting any medication, hopefully soon

I’m feeling really down about Jelly today. I feel a lot better about this vet than the last one but the waiting for results bit is difficult. Jellys coughing a lot today, and it’s a real struggle to get her to eat much. She’s mostly been sat on her bed too. The vet said the results would take about a week and I understand not being able to treat until he knows what he’s dealing with, I’m just worrying about her and I wish there was something I could do rather than just wait. She has good and bad days, today seems to be quite a bad day

I know its tough.

Hang in there you've done so well finding the right vet for you both and it sounds like you're almost there!

Sent from my SM-A705FN using Tapatalk

I’d ring the vet and tell them she’s not doing so well, see what they suggest. I hope the results come soon. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Jelly seems to have perked up quite a bit in the last few days, her cough seems a bit better and she’s more alert. The vet phoned this morning with her test results and something was picked up, a long word that I can’t remember but the important part is it responds well to most antibiotics so he’s going to post some out to me.
I forgot to ask how she got this, I’m trying to decide how to house them once Jelly is better, but he wants to know how she’s doing next week so I’ll speak to him then

Jelly seems to have perked up quite a bit in the last few days, her cough seems a bit better and she’s more alert. The vet phoned this morning with her test results and something was picked up, a long word that I can’t remember but the important part is it responds well to most antibiotics so he’s going to post some out to me.
I forgot to ask how she got this, I’m trying to decide how to house them once Jelly is better, but he wants to know how she’s doing next week so I’ll speak to him then

I hope that she will respond well to treatment x

This sounds to be really good news. It's reassuring that Jelly has an issue which can be treated. Sending her lots more vibes.

So pleased to hear that whatever Jelly has is treatable, hope the meds get to work quickly. Sending more vibes for her xx

Back