• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this circling a good sign? Also litter training question.

Sammysdct

Young Bun
Hello, we have a new 12 week old boy lionhead by the name of Mr cuddles (never let young children name your pets).

This will be his 4th day with us. He was confident enough to come out of his cage on the second day and join in with the girls playing in the living room. He doesn't appear to be food motivated, nor have I been able to find his "fuss spots". He's on the move too much for that.

But whenever you talk to him, he comes hopping up. Not for a fuss or food, its literally like he's just saying "hello, who are you?".

One of his favourite things seems to be running around people in circles. I sat on the floor & he nearly made me dizzy, just watching him go round me. He let me stroke him on each "pass". He also circles the girls whenever they are on the floor playing. Or even if you're just standing there.

Now I know he's too young for it to be mating behaviour, nor is it begging for treats/attention.

Anyone got any idea what its about and if it's a good sign for our future together?

Also I wanted to check wondered if I'm doing the right thing re litter training. I put in a litter tray into his "pen" area of his cage. He was going all over the floor in the pen, so I moved it over to the side where most of the wees/poos were and now they are mostly in the tray. There is just a couple of odd stray poos in his cage.

When we let him out to free range, I've noticed him hop back to his litter tray a couple of times. But usually after a while, he just starts to go in our living room. As soon as I notice this, I put him back in his cage for a bit, as I don't want him to get in the habit of going wherever he feels like.

Am I doing the right thing?

Thanks.

It could be hormones... they tend to get their hormones at 12 weeks and he should be neutered any day soon. (As soon as his bits make their appearance- sometimes easier to get a VN to check FOC every couple weeks).

It can also be excitement. My girls both run circles when they know we're getting their dinner... they just can't contain themselves.

In regards to litter training, when you're doing is fine. But they prefer to eat as they do their business so providing a tray of litter with hay on top (or hay in a rack) is best so they can munch at the same time... 32l underbed storage boxes work best as litter trays. You can also get racks with built in hay bars from places like Manor Pet Housing.

dacef8fad3138b686a8213702cffa62d.jpg

(Daphne showing how the tray works)

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Back