• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is this cage big enough for 2 rabbits?

Hi, I'm from america and saw that this was a UK site, so my measurements may be a bit confusing. I will try to convert to cm

Anyway, I have 2 rabbits, one is small around 3 months (I plan on getting her spayed as soon as my vet will allow) and my other one is a year and a half and is neutered and has been since early jan. I am planning on trying to bond them before her spay - which is complicated and may not work out which I am aware of. But if it doesn't work now I will wait until after her spay but the past 2 sessions have been great, or at least that's what I think!

The cage I had in mind was 56"W x 84"L x 42"H in centimeters that would be 142W x 213L x 106H
It is an x pen (the panels are longer than average), I also am going to make a second shelf (really small) and it's going to be 56"W x 48"L
which again in centimeters is 142W x 122L, it's only going to be maybe a foot off the ground approx 30 centimeters off the ground. I am going to add a ramp though for my youngest one since she may be unable to jump. Is this a good sized cage for 2 rabbits? When my rabbit is fully grown she will be around 5lbs maybe and that is 2kg, my male is 4.5lbs which is approx 2kg also. So small/ medium sized rabbits.

So that is 4.66ft x 7ft = 32.62sqft You're going to have it in a rectangle that size, yes? Not the widest parts of a hexagon or something?

The Rabbit Welfare Association recommend a minimum of 6x2 hutch attached to a 8x4 run = 44sqft http://www.rabbitwelfare.co.uk/ahutchisnotenough.htm

So I'd say it is suitable, but only if they are given a few hours of free-range time every day. If this is going to be their home all day, then it needs to be bigger.

I wouldn't bother with a ramp, any bun should be able to manage a 30cm jump just fine, and ramps take up space.

I haven't included the shelf in with the size as I think you may have gotten the measurements wrong? As you said it was small, but then gave measurements for 4.66ft x 4ft. Also, a shelf that size that is only 30cm high will be a massive pain to clean and clean under it, so you might want to rethink it.

Well by small, I mean in comparison to the actual cage and yes it is a rectangle and they will most definitely have playtime outside of their cage this is only for when I am not home. And sorry, it is actually 18" off the ground - I didn't bother measuring that last night so I just assumed but I just measured now which is around 46cm. I've had shelves that high off the ground and while cleaning is a bit challenging I can still fit which is all that matters. I don't know if my smaller one can jump up there so I was planning on building a ramp - and then removing it when she get's older.

Well by small, I mean in comparison to the actual cage and yes it is a rectangle and they will most definitely have playtime outside of their cage this is only for when I am not home. And sorry, it is actually 18" off the ground - I didn't bother measuring that last night so I just assumed but I just measured now which is around 46cm. I've had shelves that high off the ground and while cleaning is a bit challenging I can still fit which is all that matters. I don't know if my smaller one can jump up there so I was planning on building a ramp - and then removing it when she get's older.

That sounds fine to me :)

Back