• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there a way to help sync two bonded bunnies a bit more

FredW

Alpha Buck
ok, hope I can make some sense here... :)
Bunbuns and Fluffy have been together for a few months now, and everyone who sees them comments on how close they are. They just seem so happy together... but I feel something is missing there. I guess that's why initially I felt I should get a third one. Now this may be common, in which case that's fine, but it may not be, in which case I hope I can get some advice.

Bunbuns is a right little cuddle bunny, she loves being cuddled and she LOVEs Fluffy's kisses. She literally cant get enough, as soon as he grooms himself, she runs over and puts her head right under him for a good old Fluffy grooming/kissing session. He obliges but usually with just a few licks then goes back to doing his own business of grooming himself, then he just lays next to her. She then gets bored and comes to me for more cuddles, so I end up cuddling her for a while, till she's happy, then she goes to have a nap. On the other hand when he comes to get a bit of grooming and puts his head under, she doesn't even bother with a lick, but pushes his head away and puts hers under him, he then grooms her. Not saying she doesn't groom him, or that this is always the way it is, they constantly groom each other, but I found many times that's their interaction. What she does do a lot, he comes for a groom, she doesn't do it, but then comes to me to lick my hands and arms all over. so it's basically all her way or the highway really, probably didn't help she was alone for about two years, so she's super spoiled.

Fluffy on the other hand is a playful little boy, he loves running around and binkies, jumps everywhere etc. he has a real zest for life you can tell. So there is her just wanting cuddles and grooming all the time, and him wanting to run around and play. He often ends up chasing her around a bit, which I know is playful as when he stops she comes up to him bumps him with her nose then they run again. But because he is so active he then sleeps for long times throughout the day, while she's not very active so she then keeps getting bored and tries to get him to groom her or snuggle up to him, when he just wants to be left alone to sleep for a little bit before he starts all up again.

So that's how most of their days go. she wants to cuddle, he wants to play. They both do what the other one likes, so they snuggle a lot, groom a lot, and play a lot, but it feels more like it's often not really what they want to do. So I just wonder if this is normal, or if I can do something. I do get involved a lot, as in cuddle whoever wants the cuddles when the other one doesn't. or play with fluffy his running around games. but should I stop that and really have them relying on giving each other what they need more, or is it all normal.
that was all the reason I always felt I needed a third one, but everyone who has seen how close they are recommended not to, so I wont, but just wonder if anyone knows if I need to do something else here.

Thanks, hope it all makes sense :)

Putting their heads down and asking for a groom is actually a way of showing dominance in buns (an especially adorable one) it is them 'demanding' that the other one grooms them. BunBuns is the one in charge which is why she is so eager to tell everyone else to groom her but less willing to groom others.

Obviously a lot of cuddling is just that, cuddling but I wouldn't worry about your two, they sound normal to me!

Thanks for that, great to know. Makes sense, and especially knowing she's the one in charge, looks like nothing changed then, she's always been the one in charge and can through a really nice strop if she doesn't get her way. She's also about 1 1/2 years older than him. Thanks for letting me know it's normal and I don't need to stop cuddling them, as I do love it. Mind you, also explains why when I cuddle Fluffy she often comes over and puts herself right between us, then she grooms him and I can cuddle her but not Fluffy... yeah she's the boss in this house, I see it lol

I agree, they sound a perfectly happy bunny couple to me.

Our girls are pretty tight with grooming & all bunnies attempt to demand it of each other ALL the time. More often than not they get groomed by default ie they'll position themselves under a grooming rabbit to get the body contact (I guess a bunny grooming his leg whilst resting it across your back feels like being groomed :lol:)

Boo (who I think looks like your Fluffy) demands lots of grooming from us & is very "licky too". That works well for me, they all ask for fusses but Boo demands them. Its nice that our bunnies love fusses from us too :thumb:

I think you may have the perfect trio - you're the 3rd bunny :lol:

You know that's so true, I keep seeing her put herself under his foot when he is just licking his back, so she then got his foot on him, and gets a lick by default. it does look cute though, I love watching them.

and I agree it is nice they like cuddles from us as well and loads of fuss. I was a bit worried Bunbuns wouldn't like as many cuddles anymore when she had a bf... but nothing much changed, I just don't need to feel like I cant leave the house for more than 30 mins as I don't want her to get bored. She seems much better now and I know Fluffy is happy, he just shows it so well, and by the way, yep agree he does look a lot like your Boo, who by the way is a gorgeous bun, loved her in the box. I know Fluffy and Bunbuns would love cardboard boxes, she always had them, but he just eats them all the time. In fact when he has cardboard he will eat that over hay or anything else, so I don't have it around them anymore.

And you know, yeah never thought of us as a trio, but yeah we are, i can see now you've mentioned it :)

Back