• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is there a lack of awareness of Rescues?

i got my buns from Walsall RSPCA - but i didnt know that there were many buns in rescue until i actually searched.

I was always going to get some more rabbits when i got home from travelling, but i didnt think about a rescue centre until i worked for the RSPCA in Alice Springs, Australia. They didnt have any rabbits, but it really hit home how many gorgeous, perfect animals there are in rescue centres that never get homes (we didnt have a no kill policy.....:cry:). I wouldnt get a rabbit from anywhere else now.

I think there is a massive lack of awareness - plenty of other vets students dont know that there are lots of rabbits in rescue centres. I think people also think that rabbits dont live long, so they want them from babies instead of full grown.

I am a 'fan' on facebook of the RSPCA, but i'm yet to see a rehoming campaign for a rabbit - its only ever cats and dogs.

I'd be willing to help with an awareness campaign

Hmm, yes I think you are right.

I have emailed a lady from the RWA before, I think I still have her email address (as I am in Horsham, where the RWA is, I think).

Perhaps I ought to see what her thoughts are? :?

Id' wait and see what people say on here first because its only me and one other person who have backed your idea. Just sit tight for a bit :)

if its done via RWA then it would be a case of presenting the idea and then handing it over to them.

The problem is though that "the RWA" as a body is actually about 6 people, 5 of whom have full time jobs elsewhere, so whenever someone has a brilliant idea like this, they need someone to volunteer to organise it. Sadly they don't have enough capacity to do everything they'd like to as it is :( So I would make sure that is factored in if an approach is made to them :)

The problem is though that "the RWA" as a body is actually about 6 people, 5 of whom have full time jobs elsewhere, so whenever someone has a brilliant idea like this, they need someone to volunteer to organise it. Sadly they don't have enough capacity to do everything they'd like to as it is :( So I would make sure that is factored in if an approach is made to them :)

Thank you. There are three of us in so far, and I am sure we could find some more :)

Yeh, I know its very limited, but I didn't want us getting ahead of ourselves or stepping on their toes, that was all. i was looking at a hugely wide picture, all prematurely, before we even looked in more detail at it :)

Personaqlly I would be happy to help, however, despite volunteering with the RSPCA, I don't have any contact with Rabbit Rescues (although I could once again try to open some lines of communication with our local one).

Oh yes, sorry if you got me wrong. I am not asking the RWA to organise it. I thought they might like to be involved on a promotional level and give us any appropriate ideas.

I am happy to do as much leg work as possible, but support is needed - I am not a born organiser.

It might be that it all comes to nothing, but I so want to do something to help.

I think so.

I knew you could get horses/dogs/cats from a Rescue. When I wanted my first bun, I rang the RSPCA - I got told "we don't have rabbits". So I got buns 1-3 from garden centres & P@H. A simple "but you could try....." would've made me realise right from the start.:D

I'd like to help do something whatever the something turns out to be :) Am at work at the moment so haven't had time to mull over any ideas but want to register support.

Count me in!

Hello :wave:

Just wanted to offer to help really. My background is marketing and I've been wondering for ages if there was anything I can do to help to raise awareness of rescues, that would use my skills. I'm in Crawley...which by the sounds of it isn't too far away from some of you?

Anyways, count me in if needed! :D

Sky-O, Cazzap, Debster and Vikkivet, and anyone else interested.

I have started a new thread, as maybe people are missing it on here.

Lx

I think that must be true to at least some extent. Everyone I've told about getting my Jester from BARC has said something like 'oh, i've never heard of rabbit rescues before'.

But, I also think that there's a strong element of 'can't be bothered' in this too - it's so much easier to go into a pet shop and take home a cheap bundle of fluff than it is to take the time to research and contact rescues, have a homecheck, spend money on suitable accommodation etc. No wonder so many people won't take the time to properly research the care needs of rabbits when it's so easy and cheap to replace them :(

And let's face it, there is a chronic lack of information on proper bunny care out there when you consider that many vets still advocate not neutering, pet shops and breeders often say the same and tell people that keeping single bunnies in small housing is absolutely fine etc. And how many of us on here admit to knowing virtually nothing about proper bunny care before we found this site?

What makes me the most sad is when people who do know better still choose to go to a breeder or petshop to get a new rabbit rather than a rescue :(

I'm not perfect, my Daisy came from a breeder :oops: (who I found before i found RU, and I agonised over whether to still get her). BUT knowing what I now know about bunnies I would never go anywhere but to a rescue in the future.

Anyway, I think there is a very real need for more and more campaigning and information dissemination (like MMC).

This is exactly what has got my back up this week, one even handed in a bun to us before :roll::roll::roll:

There is a little good news round here.
Of the 3 nearest family run pet shops, 2 have stopped selling rabbits for the last 3 years. Reason too many rabbits are abandoned early & basic living conditions not met. The 3rd sells very few rabbits. All 3 stock a good range of rabbit food & toys.

I was totally unaware of rabbit rescues.
I see a need for a 2 pronged approach. Some how we need to make people aware that rabbits need as much "input" as a dog, & aren't an "easy pet" to keep; thereby reducing the number of abandoned rabbits.
Perhaps this could be included in a rescue awareness week?

I think nearly everyone knows the RSPCA have rabbits handed in, but many people I've spoken to have never heard of rabbit or small animal only rescues.

To be honest I think the best way to raise awareness is through the telly, but would any news programs put something like this on the TV?

Thank you. There are three of us in so far, and I am sure we could find some more

Hey!! Sorry guys, been at work all day so didn't see the great idea until now! Definitely count me in! I'm a business manager by trade, so am good at organizing (or rather delegating)

maybe we could set up a facebook/twitter site etc... invite all your friends, actively promote it etc... we could increase the number of people becoming aware by thousands every few hours....

maybe it'd be good to put up posters too... notices in all of our local vets... maybe we could even knit some balaclavas and sneak them up in p@h too... That'd be one in the eye eh? haha!

here if I can be of any use...

Back