• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Is it nessersary?

hi...

i would recommend you have your bun spayed, this will also stop her from getting a pyometra (infected womb) this can be fatal and is not very pretty, also cancer is a high risk in unneutered animals (this isnt caught off anything, its not contagious) cancer is a group of mutant cells that grow rapidly and can attack vital organs and is fatal to animals as in humans. your bun wouldn’t get it from anything else it just 'happens' just like humans there is no cure for this...... neutering her would reduce the chance of cancer.

She will be a much happier and healthier bun from having the op...

Hope this helps in your decision.

:D

xx

Thanks, I'm thinking of getting Bella spayed, its just the money problem :roll:

Maybe she's forgotten as it's a while ago. Bunnies only have those pointy teeth at the front and they can't open their mouths wide, not like dogs/cats with wide grins. That's why babies who fall out of the nest often die - the mum rabbit can't pick them up to put them back in.

Yeah thats exactly what I was just thinking. I can't ask my mum about it because she'll just start shouting at me :?

i think it is definatly worth you ringing your local rspca animal home, they may give you a voucher to help pay for the spay. They are really good like that.
Actually mine are doing free neutering for all rabbits in my area at the moment but only if your family recieve benefits.
(just a thought, maybe they are all doing it now). Good luck, definatly ring them xx

I will consider doing that, Thanks Maisy.

By getting her speyed. Someone else said, If you saved £2 a week, you could have her done in no time at all :D

Think Jacks meaning in terms of handling etc. Personally, Unless you had to transport her somewhere, I'd leave her paws on the ground X

Bella is alright when the person handling her is confident. Its just me, the stupid one. And thanks for your reply.

Spaying is the only way really to prevent it. She's still young though so you don't need to rush to get her done, it's usually around 4-5 years old that they're most at risk, sometimes slightly younger. So just keep saving and don't worry.

Ok thanks, and sorry if I worry to much :roll:

My parents were a bit funny about vacinating and netuering aswell so I know what you mean my mum doesnt have anything to do with the rabbits a shes scared of them and b she thinks I spend far to much on vet bills £130 in 2 weeks :shock: but I know they are worth every penny I have. got to pay out another £30ish for their VHD jabs next week too.

You could try the RSPCA or PDSA or even to a few odd jobs to earn some money.

Good luck xxx

My Walter loves to cuddle up with his chin on my knee, and sometimes jumps on for attention. He particularly likes my laptop keyboard :roll: but he's not mad keen on being picked up. He'll tolerate it but not for long. I think it's just how he is, he's the friendliest bun possible in every other way.

Becky x

Yeah I understand, everyone is basicly saying the same.

re 'how come rabbits without babies get cancer and humans don't' which someone asked on this thread:

actually humans that never have children have a MUCH higher risk of breast cancer because they too have the 'hormone surges' more frequently (not taking the 9mth/1yr 'time out on one or more occassions!).

This is now a recognised problem though I cannot recall what the actual statistics are it is a greatly increased risk - suffice it to say that if you have never had children get yourself a breast scan frequently after the age of 40!

So we are like buns really!

My parents were a bit funny about vacinating and netuering aswell so I know what you mean my mum doesnt have anything to do with the rabbits a shes scared of them and b she thinks I spend far to much on vet bills £130 in 2 weeks :shock: but I know they are worth every penny I have. got to pay out another £30ish for their VHD jabs next week too.

You could try the RSPCA or PDSA or even to a few odd jobs to earn some money.

Good luck xxx

I've been trying to find odd jobs but I don't know where. There are quite a few shops down the road from us a bit but as I'm 13, I don't think they would want me to help out. We're asking the pet shop next week or whatever. Bella is worth everything I have, I know that :)

re 'how come rabbits without babies get cancer and humans don't' which someone asked on this thread:

actually humans that never have children have a MUCH higher risk of breast cancer because they too have the 'hormone surges' more frequently (not taking the 9mth/1yr 'time out on one or more occassions!).

This is now a recognised problem though I cannot recall what the actual statistics are it is a greatly increased risk - suffice it to say that if you have never had children get yourself a breast scan frequently after the age of 40!

Thats quite a scary thought :shock: ah well I got plenty of time til im 40 :p

Yeah I understand, seems quite reasonable really, too.

Really you need to see if the PDSA can help you and find out your local shelter, because what would happen if Bella became very ill? Please check out this link:
http://www.pdsa.org.uk/eligibility.html

My Fudge was spayed at 3, so long as the rabbit isn't overweight and theres a good vet doing the spay, the risks aren't very high, and the risk of cancer far outweighs the risk of death during the op. ;) So don't worry about getting her done before a year!;)

Regarding getting the nails clipped.

We asked our vets to show us how to do it and they showed us and then they stood over us when we done it so they could checl we were doing it correctly.

We now clip all of ours. It is definately a 2 person job.

Really you need to see if the PDSA can help you and find out your local shelter, because what would happen if Bella became very ill? Please check out this link:
http://www.pdsa.org.uk/eligibility.html

My Fudge was spayed at 3, so long as the rabbit isn't overweight and theres a good vet doing the spay, the risks aren't very high, and the risk of cancer far outweighs the risk of death during the op. ;) So don't worry about getting her done before a year!;)

I'm checking out that link, I know everything Bella needs :shock:

Ok but on a website a read it said something like, the sooner, the better.

Regarding getting the nails clipped.

We asked our vets to show us how to do it and they showed us and then they stood over us when we done it so they could checl we were doing it correctly.

We now clip all of ours. It is definately a 2 person job.

Yeah when we go to the vets, I'm going to watch carefully and ask for tips, etc...

Back