• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

is 3.5 weeks too soon?

I would have a look round and maybe help at a rescue as suggested and see if you feel a connection with any of the bunnies.

I honestly don't know what I will do when I lose Doughnut as I'm the same as you no children and it's just me and her. I guess I would do as I'm suggesting to you and see if any bunny stands out for me that I feel the need to take home.

Good luck, I'm so sorry for your loss.

So sorry for your loss x

I lost my bonded pair last year to a fox, I was devasted and although I had my cat my home wasn't the same without rabbits. I rehomed Tabitha about two weeks later - nothing will ever replace Leo & Missy but as I mentioned my home just didn't feel 'right'. When you feel ready to rehome another rabbit go with it, but as others have suggested volunteering/fostering might also help.

So sorry for your loss x

I lost my bonded pair last year to a fox, I was devasted and although I had my cat my home wasn't the same without rabbits. I rehomed Tabitha about two weeks later - nothing will ever replace Leo & Missy but as I mentioned my home just didn't feel 'right'. When you feel ready to rehome another rabbit go with it, but as others have suggested volunteering/fostering might also help.

I thought you had two new rabbits???

I'm still toying with the idea of getting that lionhead/Dutch (not dwarf) cross that is in the charity section of pets at home.. he's been in there weeks.. poor ******.. I guess cos he's two...

but I am still struggling as to whether its too soon...

Will I just cry with the new bun running about?

Is it disrespectful to my bud of 8 years?

I never gave my ex kids.. I avoided it.. though I regret it now... so he was my kid. And you don't go out to buy a new child if they die do you?

Only you know if it's too soon, I'd go with your gut feeling on that. And the same for having a new bun running around, personally I find another pet a welcome positive diversion for my grief. And I don't think its disrespectful to the pet you lost to get another, the way I look at it you are giving another bun a chance of a good home,you aren't replacing your other pet in that way. I see it as being in honour of the pet you lost.

I don't think it is disrespectful. I think that Mr Cookie may approve that you can give another bun a loving home that may not otherwise have that chance.

Only you will know when you are ready. When you are ready think of it as rescuing a bun and giving it a loving home. New buns do not replace the ones that we have had (I had a very special bond with one of mine), they all have their own individual personalities that you will love in a different way.

I don't think it is disrespectful. I think that Mr Cookie may approve that you can give another bun a loving home that may not otherwise have that chance.

Only you will know when you are ready. When you are ready think of it as rescuing a bun and giving it a loving home. New buns do not replace the ones that we have had (I had a very special bond with one of mine), they all have their own individual personalities that you will love in a different way.

I would echo this - and if you do elp that lionhead who has already crept into your thoughts and soul - then PLEASE dont expect him to be Cookie - or feel disappointed at first - he WILL grow into your heart just as himself not as Cookie 2.

Back