• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Iris - chest infection and more UD she's gone

I hope you get some lovely time together tonight. I'm really sad to hear her time has come, I'll be thinking of you both

Thanks everyone.

I can't sleep. I've woken up incredibly early for me. There's a lump in my throat. I'm semi-questioning the decision.

But I know she's not going to get any better. She's less than 2kg now. (She started off at ~2.6kg here and was underweight then.) She's lost another 150g or so since last week. A lot of what she's doing is by rote. She's not 100% miserable, no, but she doesn't have to be for this, does she? It's better a week too soon than a day too late.

And then there's poor Arce. She'll miss her so much. (She won't fit with our other groups and yes, we'll get her a Honeybunny husbunny but I'm worrying about the immediate damage given what happened to Elphie after Galinda... different rabbits and a different situation but still.)

My head and heart hurts. :cry:

I'm semi-questioning the decision.

Would opting for the GA/Dental 'just-in-case' be an option, as previously mentioned ? Or perhaps you and your Vet feel it would not be appropriate. I am in no position to judge, but I am mentioning it again as you have expressed some doubt about things.

I offer my support regardless of what decision you make as you and your Vet are the only one's able to know what is best for Iris xx

Best wishes with whatever you end up doing. You'll make the right decision, as you seem very balanced in head and heart :)

Thanks everyone.

I can't sleep. I've woken up incredibly early for me. There's a lump in my throat. I'm semi-questioning the decision.

But I know she's not going to get any better. She's less than 2kg now. (She started off at ~2.6kg here and was underweight then.) She's lost another 150g or so since last week. A lot of what she's doing is by rote. She's not 100% miserable, no, but she doesn't have to be for this, does she? It's better a week too soon than a day too late.

And then there's poor Arce. She'll miss her so much. (She won't fit with our other groups and yes, we'll get her a Honeybunny husbunny but I'm worrying about the immediate damage given what happened to Elphie after Galinda... different rabbits and a different situation but still.)

My head and heart hurts. :cry:

I have been thinking of you, and send you wisdom and hugs xx

Would opting for the GA/Dental 'just-in-case' be an option, as previously mentioned ? Or perhaps you and your Vet feel it would not be appropriate. I am in no position to judge, but I am mentioning it again as you have expressed some doubt about things.

I offer my support regardless of what decision you make as you and your Vet are the only one's able to know what is best for Iris xx

We will, of course, discuss best practice with our vet, However, we are preparing with the worst in mind. Thank you. xxx

Today is dragging. This never gets easier. This is the 'first' appointment for this kind of thing I've booked in advance. Previously, it's always been a decision there and then, on the spur of the moment. I don't know which is easier to handle.

We will, of course, discuss best practice with our vet, However, we are preparing with the worst in mind. Thank you. xxx

Today is dragging. This never gets easier. This is the 'first' appointment for this kind of thing I've booked in advance. Previously, it's always been a decision there and then, on the spur of the moment. I don't know which is easier to handle.

In my view, what you're thinking you may do today is more difficult. It's premeditated as it were, though of course compassionate and the right thing, but it feels odd I know.

My vet always gives a complete exam, thorough and with no thought to time, and goes through quality of life based on what's happening now and prognosis of getting any better. There is always the option to change your mind, remember that. Though you may want to make the same decision in the not too distant future, perhaps when you feel more ready.

Love and hugs x

I'm so sorry, you did your best by her, even though it's so hard to say goodbye. Binky free little bun xxxx

Back