• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Interior design fault?!

xSarahx

Warren Scout
Okies, so Puff Bunny has just spent his first night in his new home & he seems to be having few problems with it...

ludohouse.jpg

Cool huh?
The main problem is the ladders. Ludo has tried to use them but although they are slightly ribbed they are too slippery for him to get a grip on & so get to all the other levels. Since he's already fallen off them a few times, now he's just given up! He's just jumping straight up to the first demi-shelf where his food is! The ladders are only 12cms wide! :shock:

So, I have a plan to cover the ladders in carpet to make them a bit wider & let him get some grip on them. Good idea?

If anyone has a better one just let me know, just please note that I'm rubbish at D.I.Y! :oops:

I really want him to be making the most of all his new space, especially as it takes up most of the room now!!! :lol:

When I first saw those I thought very cool but they do seem to have under estimated the size of a bun, the nest box dimensions seemed abit little too :lol:

You might be able to find carpet tiles with sticky backs - they'd possibly be easiest if you're not a fan of diy :)

You'll probably find once they're non slip the width will be okay.

It looks like it could topple over if he is jumping around in it :shock: Is it meant for a rabbit? It looks more like a rat cage or chinchilla cage. Is it possible to take a level off and connect two together on the floor?

It's a little bigger than it looks, about 3'6" x 2' and each section 2' tall. So not a bad size really.

Yup you're right Tamsin, it is indeed bigger than it looks!!! :shock:

We seriously only have a walkway in our room around our futon for ourselves (the Notthemama & I) & then it mostly used as a bunny track for the Puffster to do laps!!

I did think about it all very seriously before buying it as it had to be shipped from Germany anyway. Each level is the same size as my baby's original indoor home so now he has three times the space! It's wider than my double wardrobe!!!

As you said Tamsin, the only down side is the nest boxes. They are too small & prolly better suited to a Netherland Dwarf. I'm not worried about this though because Ludo hates being in stupid lil' boxes of any description! He loves to sprawl out & be able to see what we're doing all the time! He's not big on privacy which means we can't be either! :lol: Needless to say they have been removed in favour of his original "movie watching" shelf & his puffy bed!

So yes this cage is for a rabbit. And I would never put my baby in something I felt would topple over. I spent ages looking for one that wasn't for piggies or ferrets etc. I wanted a home that would have at least two levels & ramps like some outdoor hutches. The indoor homes in pet shops aren't big enough so I turned to the internet.
Actually, now I come to think about it, all the indoor cages I have seen have too small secluded compartments or nest boxes, even though they say they are suitable for rabbits. Weird.

Brilliant idea about those carpet tiles, Tamsin! I'll let you know how I get on & post some pics. I think the best part about getting your bun a new home is understanding their own individual needs & likes enough to customise it specifically for them! That's what I'm gonna be doing this Saturday night because my lil' man is worth it. :D

That looks like a fab house! Squidgy had trouble with the ramp in his hutch, so the o/h covered it with some 'non-slip mat' that we got from poundland (it's the blue stuff in the photo)
DSCN0384.jpg

Back