• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

indoor cage

bunnylover1995

Alpha Buck
Can someone recommend an indoor cage (preferably with stand) that's good value for size, to keep my two buns in?

Thanks

Unfortunately the one you have linked to is nowhere near big enough for a rabbit.
I had a similar one when I brought my g/pigs in for the winter, and soon discovered that it wasn't even big enough for them.

I would have a look at the indoor housing section to get some ideas. Is there no way you can fit in a dog crate with a run attached, which is what most people seem to find the best solution for indoor rabbits.

That's not far off the size of my hamster cage and I think that's too small for him! Even the biggest one at around 150cm would be too small for rabbits, it might look massive but it's only really for guinea pigs.

With a puppy pen you can manipulate it to the space you have, it's cheaper and a decent size for rabbits to be kept in as long as they have plenty of time out of it.

How would they get out?

I think that just over 3 foot is too small for 2 guinea pigs and waay too small for rabbits.

If you could get a puppy pen with a hidey box in and a couple of underbed storage boxes as litter trays, full of newspaper and hay that would be more spacious for them. They are so active.

Your rabbits are really beautiful btw.

My outdoor hutch broke in the st jude storm, I just need something to put them in at night over the Christmas period, until I can afford something better, they free range in my room currently but have to go in a cat box at night. I can't have a dog crate as my dog has a fear of them and sits and howls at them lol. I'm at a complete loss.

I agree it is too small really. Not much bigger than my hamster cage. It is only three foot long where as with outdoor rabbits it is recommended that the hutch is six foot long with an attached run - they really do need the space and you should try to use the same guidelines for indoor rabbits if they are not going to be free range.

With a cage with a stand I would assume the rabbit would be in it for long periods of time (eg over night) as the rabbit cannot get in and out of the cage on it's own. It is not big enough for that. A rabbit would only be able to take one hop in that cage unfortunately.

Just posted at the same time - is there a way you could a larger hutch for use indoors? An actual hutch rather than a cage, you might be able to find one second hand, or is that the largest you can fit in that space?

I've still got their ramp so they could use that to get out and on to their plastic hay box and then hop to the floor. With a a rampaging six year old and a dog, off the floor is safer for the buns.

I basically have the choice of, small indoor cage for 6 hours a day or give them up. :(

If the dog is the one with a crate fear then you could just keep the door closed? A puppy pen has no roof and doesn't look like a crate.

Those cages are literally glorified, expensive litter trays. What about a C&C pen?

If the dog is the one with a crate fear then you could just keep the door closed? A puppy pen has no roof and doesn't look like a crate.

Those cages are literally glorified, expensive litter trays. What about a C&C pen?

My dog sleeps on my bed. A cage is pretty much the only option.

I would see if you could get a wooden hutch to fill the gap. I know it's only a foot extra but a bit better.

How strong are those grids that were linked? Just thinking that if the dog is strong / heavy or determined they may not hold up so well, but I have never used them, so couldn't say for definite.

If it's temporary I would downsize for a few weeks especially if they get to free range during the day as it won't be for long I assume, and not the end of the world even if it isn't perfect, much better than having to rehome them when it is a short term situation. Maybe try for levels if possible so there is maximum space usage

could they not continue to free range throughout the night? or you could confine them to a section of the room with puppy panels?

I've still got their ramp so they could use that to get out and on to their plastic hay box and then hop to the floor. With a a rampaging six year old and a dog, off the floor is safer for the buns.

I basically have the choice of, small indoor cage for 6 hours a day or give them up. :(

I'm afraid there is no way you could keep two rabbits in a cage that size for 6 hours a day. It would do them harm not being able to move about much, they also could never flop out fully in it. Can you not just keep them free range in a room that your child and other animals can't access? My buns live in my room because I have a dog and no way to bunny proof the living room.

Back