• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I'm starting to be a bit scared of my rabbit! Please help?

Hello all :) I am new to the forum so apologies if I am posting in the wrong place or anything! I have recently adopted a lionhead bunny named Malteser (Malty for short!) and I am hoping for some advice about his changing behaviour. He is unneutered, I was told he is about 5 months old, and I have had him for just over 3 weeks. He currently lives outdoors (this is what he was used to at the rescue place but he had a smaller space) in a large hutch and attached run.

Despite having some previous experience of bunnies I am having some real trouble with Malty having territorial aggression towards me when I reach into his cage or step into his run to feed him, stroke him, give him toys to play with, or change his litter tray. As soon as I am within his "territory" he gets angry and/or excited, and lunges aggressively, grunts, digs at or jumps on my shoes and bites at my clothes (he hasn't nipped my skin yet but I think this is just by chance since I have had a long-sleeved coat on - he does seem to have quite malicious intent in him!).

I noticed early on he didn't like it when I moved anything in his cage, but the aggression has just started in the last few days since he has really settled in (at first I moved him from hutch to run each day, but now I have set it up so he can go freely as he likes and has more space). Now that he has his own space, his behaviour is getting progressively worse and I am starting to be a bit scared of him! :( He also digs a lot and gets unhappy and bites/lunges if I move or touch anything of his. Often if I put a new toy in (like a cardboard box) he will jump on it like a crazy thing and scrabble like mad - sometimes he does this when I change the litter box too, and chucks it everywhere!

I have owned rabbits before - having rescued a neutered adult male and a young female (who we later had spayed) a few years ago. My previous bunnies were not aggressive and never lunged, bit, or dug - the boy, Bramble, was a complete darling and very laid back, the girl bunny Clover was very grumpy (never aggressively, she just thumped and grunted a lot) but improved somewhat when spayed, and so I wondered whether neutering is the answer to Malteser's behaviour? I hope to get him a companion one day after he gets neutered, but for now I do really worry that he may be lonely... I would like to spend more time with him - but seeing as I am scared to go in his cage or even to reach in it is getting very difficult! It makes me very sad that he seems to hate my presence so much :(

Also just to say that (I don't know if this is relevant or not) I have had a very sick guinea pig on death's door to look after for the past week or so (who is now vastly better, thank goodness), and with all the time and stress I haven't had quite as much time to spend with Malty. Could this be a trigger for increased aggression towards me?

I would be really grateful for any advice - particularly practical ways of feeding him and giving him attention without getting attacked until I can go and get him neutered. Also, does anyone have experience of having an aggressive bun and having them neutered/spayed? Did their behaviour change and if not, are there other things you can try to overcome the problem of a territorial rabbit?

Thanks in advance! :) I will try to get some pictures up of Malty soon - he may be grumpy, but he looks adorable!

I suspect a lot of this is due to him still having his plums, once you get him neutered, this should calm down. And definitely get him a companion if you can, there's lots of spayed females just desperate for a home.

What sort of space does he have? If his accommodation is too small, he might be feeling possessive of the smaller area, I found when mine were in a hutch my girl Jura was much like your boy is behaving, but once I increased the space, she was much happier. Also when she was spayed, she became much calmer, and her sister became completely soft and docile.

He should be able to be neutered by now, most vets will neuter at 4 months, females 6 months. :wave:

I've read on here quite a few rabbits get aggressive before being neuteured or spayed. I think especially females as they nest build but they do get territorial. I think you will definitely notice a difference when he is spayed.

Thanks for the replies! Funnily enough, he seems more possessive since I made the space bigger for him :? perhaps because I haven't been picking him up as much to move him between a night-time hutch and a day-time run, he feels more protective of the space he has got used to? I have read that it is better to have a big run attached to the hutch so I set that all up, but he seems unhappier since for some reason :? :(

For now I may have to catch him and put him in a spare hutch for the times when I need to clean his litter tray etc, to prevent getting attacked! It is hard enough to put food in his bowl, let alone to start moving or tidying his stuff :shock:

That sounds promising about the neutering, I will definitely get him booked in when I can. Could getting him a friend help calm him too, possibly?

Thanks again for the help

if his friend was a calm bunny, maybe he would pick up on that and relax? if the neutering doesnt sort it out, which hopefully it will! can you distract him with some veg or his daily portion of pellets while you clean him out?

One of our buns is called Malteser, Malty for short :love::thumb::wave:

I agree with neutering and getting him a pal.
I had an aggressive bun when I was little, we didn't know back then about neutering and companions and I wish we did, we would have all been happier! The change in the behaviour is astounding and they can be their true selves without being driven mad by hormones and urges. They are truly loveable munchkins and you don't want to fear your new pal, you have at least 10 years of your lives to come! (I have an aggressive gerbil and it is no fun at all)

if his friend was a calm bunny, maybe he would pick up on that and relax? if the neutering doesnt sort it out, which hopefully it will! can you distract him with some veg or his daily portion of pellets while you clean him out?

I like the idea of distracting him but unfortunately he's not all that motivated by food! He is very interested in whatever is going on, and if there is new food in the vicinity then he will eat and enjoy it, but if I am clattering about nearby (or, even more excitingly, in his cage) then food or no food he is always right there nosing about! Which would be fine and quite sweet/amusing, but it has gone from him just getting in the way (sitting on the litter tray when I try to take/clean it etc) to attacking the litter tray, digging at things I move and then lately the aggression towards me :?

Yes I'll have to try and make sure his lady friend is a calm one, one crazy bunny is a big enough handful! :lol:

I'm sure that having him neutered and then bonding him with a spayed female would help: most rabbits are so much happier/content with a mate.

If you approach a rescue for a female, they may bond for you.

One of our buns is called Malteser, Malty for short :love::thumb::wave:

I agree with neutering and getting him a pal.
I had an aggressive bun when I was little, we didn't know back then about neutering and companions and I wish we did, we would have all been happier! The change in the behaviour is astounding and they can be their true selves without being driven mad by hormones and urges. They are truly loveable munchkins and you don't want to fear your new pal, you have at least 10 years of your lives to come! (I have an aggressive gerbil and it is no fun at all)

Yay! It's such a cute name :love: :D what kind of bun is yours?

Yes, it's sort of heartbreaking when you just want to bond with your pet and take good care of them, and they just seem to hate you! Plus, it doesn't seem like he is particularly happy which is sad :(

Babsie - that would be great if the rescue would help with bonding.. I will definitely ask around the local ones about whether they do that.

What is recovery like for male buns after neutering?

My Malteser is a Polish here he is
DSC_0649.jpg
sorry for the large size.

My vet said male buns come home wanting dinner! They do really well. Mr Snowdrop recovered very well after his op and is a happy, friendly, playful bunny now! He had started to spray all over the place before the op
I think they recommend waiting 6 weeks after neutering before introductions. It helps for the hormone levels to drop and for meetings to run better as a result. It is great to have rescues to help in the bonding process, it is a scary but rewarding time!

At 5 months old he's going through a very hormonal 'teenage' stage, sometimes rabbits (especially males) aren't that affected by it, but others turn into absolute nightmares. The best way to sort out any issues caused by hormones is to neuter so get that done as soon as possible and hopefully a few weeks later when his hormones have settled down, you'll both be much happier :) Until then, I'd try wear thick gloves when going near his hutch so he can't hurt you and you don't have to pull your hand away and leave him alone every time he's in a bad mood

Hi! :wave:
Yes, males usually recover very quickly after their op, it is far less invasive than the female op, so really not much to worry about :wave: i agree that neutering him is definitely the way forward here! :wave:

I agree with all above posts - neuturing will definitely help. Sounds like he's a bun with an attitude, I have one of those too and he certainly lets me know when Im in the way! When your ready to pair him up id contact a rescue describing his personality and theyll find a perfect match for him. Xxxx

charlie my bun was back to normal the morning after his op
i love the name by the way! how cute!:wave:

My Malteser is a Polish here he is

Aww your Malteser is so adorable!! what a beautiful bunny :love:

Here is my Malteser (bundle of fluff!)
photo-2_zps92eaf35e.jpg

photo-4_zps4e743146.jpg

photo-3_zpscb99dc4d.jpg

Wouldn't think something so cute and fluffy could be a bit scary! :lol:

Until then, I'd try wear thick gloves when going near his hutch so he can't hurt you and you don't have to pull your hand away and leave him alone every time he's in a bad mood

Sounds like a good plan! :) Will dig out some gardening gloves or something..

Thanks so much all for the replies! :wave: :D Will keep my fingers crossed for a change after neutering then. I really hope he will calm down lots and be a happier bun for it :)

He is a little cutey isn't he?!!! Both Snowflake and Frosty recovered very quickly after their ops. A bit tired for a few hours but eating, drinking and (in Frosty's case) active very soon. Best of luck with him. Get those thick gloves! He really does look adorable...:love:

Back