• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Im drying loads of herbs for winter! 2010 Forageing Thread

I'm very much a novice at this but as PL says, I would have thought that if the leaves are dried using sufficient heat/sunlight the mildew spores will be killed?
I still haven't had chance to post the envelope of plantain I have for you- I will try to get it to you this week- cursed Royal Mail- it's no longer a simple case of sticking a stamp on it and shoving it in the postbox, it needs to be weighed and measured first xx

phew finished :D
what a fantastic thread , now a question i have in my garden a cob nut tree, now i know the buns cant have the nuts but can they have the branches and the leaves? thank you for any help :)

:wave: Hi & welcome! Yes the leaves & bark of cob nut (Hazel) are fine for bunnies. I reckon you need a glass of "something special" for wading through this lot. It's been a great fun thread too.

Thanks PL I hoped that would be the case, especially as I'm now using a hairdryer to shorten the drying time. I didn't 1/2 need some moral support. I can't afford to lose Thumper's total winter food supply.

Thumps, sorry if I'm stating the obvious but what about the Burns dried stuff? As a last resort?

Thumps, sorry if I'm stating the obvious but what about the Burns dried stuff? As a last resort?

Yes, I have that up my sleeve too. The Burns dried, is mainly ribwort plantain, which is bit high in protein, although he's eating more of it now the sloe leaves are at their greatest effectiveness.

Without a working caecum, he can't digest grass or hay, so I'm not collecting for treats, I'm collecting everything for the whole winter. He prefers the greater plantain, which is also a mild diuretic to help with his sludge issues!

Yes, I have that up my sleeve too. The Burns dried, is mainly ribwort plantain, which is bit high in protein, although he's eating more of it now the sloe leaves are at their greatest effectiveness.

Without a working caecum, he can't digest grass or hay, so I'm not collecting for treats, I'm collecting everything for the whole winter. He prefers the greater plantain, which is also a mild diuretic to help with his sludge issues!

Ah I didn't realise there was so many different plantains! (Hmm at the mention of plantain Mini just jumped on my bed :? Think she's after something?)

Ah I didn't realise there was so many different plantains! (Hmm at the mention of plantain Mini just jumped on my bed :? Think she's after something?)

I don't see why not! Mine definitely knows the words dill, parsley, & corriander & gets to chose his treat! Well it's HIS treat, why shouldn't he have choice!

I don't see why not! Mine definitely knows the words dill, parsley, & corriander & gets to chose his treat! Well it's HIS treat, why shouldn't he have choice!

When I get the dried stuff I get a washing up bowl and mix all three together so I have a mix of coltsfoot, dandelion and plantain. If she wants the plantain she'll have to forage for it. :lol:

Calling all foragers for help!
I'm still getting as much as I can for Thumper, but got stuck with the plantain cos it mostly got mildew very early on.
There was our first sharp frost last night, & 50% of the mildew has disappeared leaving healthy leaves.
I'm not so worried about Thumps, he's so sensible he won't eat a blade of grass if it's got a spot of rust on it.
I am worried about bringing in mildew spores & losing the whole supply.
Any thoughts any one?

Hey Thumps - have not managed to find plantain yet!:oops: BUT just wanted to check if it was Great Plantain or Ribwort Plantain?

Also is Rose branches, bramble branches once stripped of the thorns ok too?
And willow - I know there are different types of willow but have a tree nearby I thought I could use the branches for the occasional chew?

Thanks!:wave:

:wave:Hi there.
I'm so sorry I forget where I've updated. (needs emoticon with bust light bulb):lol:
I'm doing quite well for plantain now, & using my hairdryer to get them nice & crisp. The frost has cleared so much midew.

OK Greater plantain needs short grass or mud cos it grows at ground level. I usually find it in field gateways. They like a little shade rather than full sun, but the soil here is very thin. They also grow better where there's some "organic fertilizer" which may be why they grow in gate ways! It's in most lawns but the leaves are small.
A lovely old guy visited me from the allotments today & told me that they stay in leaf through most of the winter.
Ribwort grows upwards & can survive in medium length grass in verges.

Yep, all those branches are suitable for a chew. See what the buns go for. If a bun suddenly goes bananas for willow, they've got some pain somewhere. ;)
You know a group forage next year is a good idea. Don't know what folk would think of a pub meal after (If we're still talking to each other :lol:)

:wave:Hi there.
I'm so sorry I forget where I've updated. (needs emoticon with bust light bulb):lol:
I'm doing quite well for plantain now, & using my hairdryer to get them nice & crisp. The frost has cleared so much midew.

OK Greater plantain needs short grass or mud cos it grows at ground level. I usually find it in field gateways. They like a little shade rather than full sun, but the soil here is very thin. They also grow better where there's some "organic fertilizer" which may be why they grow in gate ways! It's in most lawns but the leaves are small.
A lovely old guy visited me from the allotments today & told me that they stay in leaf through most of the winter.
Ribwort grows upwards & can survive in medium length grass in verges.

Yep, all those branches are suitable for a chew. See what the buns go for. If a bun suddenly goes bananas for willow, they've got some pain somewhere. ;)
You know a group forage next year is a good idea. Don't know what folk would think of a pub meal after (If we're still talking to each other :lol:)
Hey! Thats great oyu have enough plantain! im sure I have some on my garden just randomly gowing in the grass!
I have yet to know if Ive the irhgt one when Im foraging...plus I get all paranoid that wildies have been on it...so dont end up picking it!:roll:
Good to know about greater plantain being in leaf through winter months...:D

Thanks for the branches info...and for the willow info..I have loads of willow I can cut....

Im presuming the buns can also eat the willow leaves?
Stupid I know but they have only ever had willow sticks bought form a shop - which they generally ignored....:roll: and it didnt have leaves on it.

A group forage next year would be great! id love that! And a meal after for sure! If the place lets us all in to eat after foraging with plants stuck in our hair!:lol::lol::lol:
I wonder how far everyone is & where a perfect forage place would be to go?:wave:

Hey Thumps - have not managed to find plantain yet!:oops: BUT just wanted to check if it was Great Plantain or Ribwort Plantain?

Also is Rose branches, bramble branches once stripped of the thorns ok too?
And willow - I know there are different types of willow but have a tree nearby I thought I could use the branches for the occasional chew?

Thanks!:wave:

I know i'm not Thumps :oops:

But... both greater and ribwort plantain are fine :wave:

Roses are fine - branches, leaves and flowers (as long as they've not been sprayed wtih anything)
Brambles are fine - some people strip them of the thorns, some people don't and their buns seem to cope fine. Mine can't seem to manage thorns so I remove them first from stems and leaves.

Generally any willow is safe, there are over 200 odd species in the UK with varying salicin content, but if you're not feeding in abundance then the branches and leaves of any species are generally going to be ok. :):wave:

ETA just noticed Thumps beat me to it after all sorry :oops:

I know i'm not Thumps :oops:

But... both greater and ribwort plantain are fine :wave:

Roses are fine - branches, leaves and flowers (as long as they've not been sprayed wtih anything)
Brambles are fine - some people strip them of the thorns, some people don't and their buns seem to cope fine. Mine can't seem to manage thorns so I remove them first from stems and leaves.

Generally any willow is safe, there are over 200 odd species in the UK with varying salicin content, but if you're not feeding in abundance then the branches and leaves of any species are generally going to be ok. :):wave:

ETA just noticed Thumps beat me to it after all sorry :oops:

Thats ok! Thanks ever so much for your help too! Im off foraging again tomorrow I think...my airing cupboard has a bin bag full of apple leaves & twigs with 3 more bags waiting to go in!:lol: So who knows where the new stuff will go but its so much fun!:love:

I have a few questions...
Is it too late to start foraging?
What sort of things would I find for my bun in the local fields?
Can they eat red roses because I have a little red rose bush in the front garden?
How do I know what to look for?
What is the best way to keep them preserved for a long time?
Should I take some hand help clippers with me?
Will my bun be ok with the thorns?
xx

I have a few questions...
Is it too late to start foraging?
What sort of things would I find for my bun in the local fields?
Can they eat red roses because I have a little red rose bush in the front garden?
How do I know what to look for?
What is the best way to keep them preserved for a long time?
Should I take some hand help clippers with me?
Will my bun be ok with the thorns?
xx

There is still a little time for foraging - you should certainly be able to pick brambles for a while yet (and definitely take your clippers!!!)

Any colour rose is fine so long as it hasn't been sprayed with anything - mine have a preference for certain colours, but will eat all colours.

Dry anything you want to store thoroughly (in a low over or airing cupboard etc). I store mine in brown paper bags in the airing cupboard.

You are still in time to get hawthorn leaves which buns love :)

There is still a little time for foraging - you should certainly be able to pick brambles for a while yet (and definitely take your clippers!!!)

Any colour rose is fine so long as it hasn't been sprayed with anything - mine have a preference for certain colours, but will eat all colours.

Dry anything you want to store thoroughly (in a low over or airing cupboard etc). I store mine in brown paper bags in the airing cupboard.

You are still in time to get hawthorn leaves which buns love :)

I will be off down the fields with my brother and mum if she wants to come.
The rose bush hasn't been sprayed with anything :D
Do they eat the hawthorn leaves and twigs?
Im guessing they cant eat the berries?
Is this what the hawthorn leaves look like?
images.jpg

If you google 'hawthorn leaf' and search for images you will find lots of useful pics. They currently have red berries which makes them easier to ID.

Some have thornier stems than others - I've found a lovely bush that is practically thornless, and they eat the stems from that, but if I pick from a thornier bush I pull the leaves off.

The berries are best avoided (Thumps put an explanation about that earlier in the thread ,but it takes a while to trawl through and find it...)

Don't forget to introduce new foods slowly.

Hope you enjoy your foraging :)

If you google 'hawthorn leaf' and search for images you will find lots of useful pics. They currently have red berries which makes them easier to ID.

Some have thornier stems than others - I've found a lovely bush that is practically thornless, and they eat the stems from that, but if I pick from a thornier bush I pull the leaves off.

The berries are best avoided (Thumps put an explanation about that earlier in the thread ,but it takes a while to trawl through and find it...)

Don't forget to introduce new foods slowly.

Hope you enjoy your foraging :)

Thankyou for your help :)
I will enjoy it alot :D
I wonder what people would think of me, a 14 year old girl stood in a field cutting down flowers, leaves, etc. :shock:
:lol:
xx

:wave: Hi abi2047 & welcome to the thread.
Yes the berries of hawthorn contain a medicine used to slow down the heart. we don't want that in a healthy bunny. The flower buds contain it too. Also the seed in most berries can get stuck inside a bunny's tummy sometimes.

As long as you don't damage anything, walk on public tracks, & preferably cut trees with garden clippers you'll be fine. Now to make you laugh. Imagine me at 59 getting locked in the allotments in a thunderstorm, & climbing over an 8' steel gate.:lol: Age don't matter on this forum, just our love of bunnies.;)

:wave: Hi abi2047 & welcome to the thread.
Yes the berries of hawthorn contain a medicine used to slow down the heart. we don't want that in a healthy bunny. The flower buds contain it too. Also the seed in most berries can get stuck inside a bunny's tummy sometimes.

As long as you don't damage anything, walk on public tracks, & preferably cut trees with garden clippers you'll be fine. Now to make you laugh. Imagine me at 59 getting locked in the allotments in a thunderstorm, & climbing over an 8' steel gate.:lol: Age don't matter on this forum, just our love of bunnies.;)

:lol: How did you get locked in the allotments? I bet you weren't happy! x

:lol: How did you get locked in the allotments? I bet you weren't happy! x

I was the last one in & hadn't got my key. The guys leaving mustn't have seen me & locked the gate!! I go there to get weeds for my bun. I was only just tall enough to make it though, & thought I must have looked hilariously funny. I was a good tree climber as a youngster, & just knew that it had to come in useful one day.:lol:

Back