• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

If You Don't Use Shavings What Do You Use?

We use the cardboard bedding (not branded just sold by the horse supply shop) It is great, as it drags the urine to the bottom of the tray (which I cover with newspaper or a puppy pad) and isn't dusty (I have found recently that megazorb has been quite dusty with black dust layer being left in the trays?! Anyone else noticed this?)

The cardboard stuff lasts a long time and ours only costs about £6, for a compact bale measuring 80cm x 60cm x 35cm.. so a lot of cardboard for the money :D

There are a few different horse beddings we have tried too.. (but can't use for indoor buns as they go everywhere!) again the size of these bales makes them very cost effective. GJW Titmuss online have a good selection to see what is available - then phone your local horse supplier and ask if the stock it etc. I saved a fortune getting my stuff from our horse suppliers.. megazorb used to cost nearly £20 a bag including carriage from the internet.. I now pay £7! Here is GJW Titmuss link for info on different beddings, just make sure it's not treated like some horse beddings are - it says in the the descriptions :wave:

http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/HORSEBEDDING/cid358/HORSEBEDDING.asp

Newspapers on the floor. Newspaper & hay in their hidey hole, newspaper, woodshavings & hay in the litter trays, although we're currently experimenting with carefresh as our local Wilko keeps being out of stock of woodshavings (grr).

Megazorb and hay! I've tried lots of things over the years and Megazorb is by far the best (IMO).

In the shed the floor had line. The back par of the shed has newspaper topped with hay. The front right part has a profleece piece and the front left has nothing. In the litter tray I use megazorb, topped with hay. There's a place in Sywell that sells megazorb which is prob the nearest to you.

Hannah

Sorry but i am in my thick mode. I want to try megazorb out. Do you put it all over the hutch even in the bedroom and then cover it with hay. Never used it before getting some tomorrow so need advice. All of my bunnys are either very fluffy or lionheads. I use woodshavings from P@h its not the cost but its the shavings all over the room. All my males are outside and females inside.

I use lino on shed floor then litter trays (underbed storage boxes) lined with newspaper, then Aubiose (its a hemp bedding) then hay on top x

I use megazorb in their litter trays, and a thick layer of straw everywhere else. :) Barney & Amber are very, very good with using their litter tray, so cleaning them out is just a matter of tipping the soiled megazorb into a binbag, and only needing to replace the straw weekly. But my girly pair, Hazel & Bella are hopeless. :lol: I have to pile megazorb under the straw all around their litter tray, because they ALWAYS just pee on that side of the hutch, both in the tray and around it.

I only have indoor litter trays, but I use paper based litter (for cats but also suitable for bunnies).

NB. I also have guinea pigs in hutches outside and for them I use puppy training pads to soak up the urine, and then hay - the hutches hardly need cleaning at all! (Unfortunately no good for bunnies as all they do is scrabble them and chew them to bits!) :wave:

Guinea pigs...a layer of newspaper & Shredded paper...hay in the hay racks
Bunny....a layer of newspaper & lots and lots of hay..litter tray with sawdust in the corner.

I used to use Megazorb for the pigs but was abit dusty as they are indoor piggies...so changed back to the shredded paper - I get it by the bucket load from my OH's work, so my costs are pretty low when it comes to bedding :)

The buns have newspaper then megazorb then hay to munch in their litter tray, they just have towels and some vetbed in their bedroom in case they get cold, they don't seem to appreciate it tho!

Pigs have a layer of newpaper then just megazorb in their cage. Megazorb is lovely stuff providing it hasn't been stored next to manure :mrgreen:

Is it just me, or does anyone think carefresh smells awful?
When it's soiled or brand new, can't stand it :shock:

I love the smell of Carefresh compared to Megazorb, my bunnies have always had carefresh instead as i was unaware of Megazorb. I thought I'd give Megazorb a go so ordered a bag opened it up and it smelt a tad hmm I can't think of the exact words to describe..fishy-ish...maybe thats not the right word. Carefresh though smells not fishy-ish :roll:..soo to me it smells good :lol:

Matter of opinion though!

I might have to stick with Megazorb for the moment though as a) its cheaper, good for my student budget and b) I know of very little places to buy Carefresh in my current Uni location, so at least I can order Megazorb cheaply to my door! :p

I think my bunnies prefer carefresh too, seemed to stick their noses up abit at Megazorb :(

Last edited:
Hmm, where does everyone buy megazorb from?
I've never tried it but I think I may start using it rather than carefresh since I've heard it's a lot cheaper.

Would I have to order it off the internets?

haha that could be the smell, it isn't quite fishy just gah I still can't think of the words to describe.. I'll just say its not the most pleasant of smells, I'll tell you that much! :lol:

I ordered some from www.Farmway.co.uk. It's slightly more bitty than Carefresh in terms of textures, smaller pieces.

Hmm, where does everyone buy megazorb from?
I've never tried it but I think I may start using it rather than carefresh since I've heard it's a lot cheaper.

Would I have to order it off the internets?

i ordered mine from The Hay Experts, Think it was £6 for a huge massive bag, 80 litres I think.

Awesome, thanks for the links!
Wow that is a lot cheaper than carefresh :shock: I hope it's good... lol

Back