• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Ideas for hay dispensers etc U/D not going well!

I just get those empty baskets from the hay experts and fill a few with different types of hay for Beau :D He did have one of the hay racks from there just stood up against the wall but he turned it upside down and ate the bottom :roll:

Suddenly remembered I'd got one of those hay mangers, so am trying it out this morning. They are eating from it OK, but it has already been knocked over once (and I have some guilty looking bunnies who know they have done wrong! :lol: ), and Dusty has nibbled on the megazorb, which worries me. So... not sure how it is going at the moment!!

Well... it has failed!!! Thanks to lovely Dusty, who decided to sit on the hay manger, munching her way through the hay, and had a wee on it. :(

Well... it has failed!!! Thanks to lovely Dusty, who decided to sit on the hay manger, munching her way through the hay, and had a wee on it. :(

Sure she's not like my school's Rambo. He used to sit in the haynet all day since he hated walking on sawdust:shock: We put straw on the bottom of his cage and then he did fine.
For the record; salad balls (like the ones I've got in the pen) are completely wee-proof, unless the bunny starts spraying:lol: (Which I've only experienced in my un-neutered boy so far)

I love the bunny tent!!! Where did it come from?

If you want a cheap and cheerful one, I have bought a 'pop up' cat tent from the local Pound shop and the buns have loved it. I'm afraid they have chewed and dug in it so it's been shredded in places, but at only 99p it's not breaking the bank!:lol:

On the hay front, I use the same fat ball holders like those Janice has posted piccies of, they work really well.:D

i bought some straw bowls from the pound shop and i put hay in them for when they are outside in the run - works well and cheap

Buster was the same but I have spent the last 2 weeks persevering with the hay racks that go on the side of the cage. I put hay in that and then a pile underneath in that pile I put some naturals herabal garden and artichoke mix (Buster loves it) graduarly I put less on the floor and now he will eat from the rack (I sprinkle the naturals mix in the rack with his timothy hay). Also try a couple of sunflower seeds. etc.
Buster104.jpg

Buster107.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sorry Sarah, couldn't help but have a laugh when I read this. Hope you don't mind . Naughty Dusty :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And to make it worse, I've just filled a small cardboard box with hay, too small for Dusty to get in. Just seen her perched in it, with her bum hanging over the side - recipe for spraying disaster there I think!!!

If the hay manger is like the one Pipstrel found on zooplus then maybe you could attach a board over the top (hinged so you can fill it). If it's slightly bigger all round, then they can sit on top without being near the hay and can pee all they want:lol: :lol:

Another idea would involve getting a cheap stool or side table (or using one you already have but don't love) and attaching a normal hayrack underneath with hooks. That way the top will be protected and they can get at the hay underneath.

Good luck

Back