• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I need help guys! Two gorgeous buns!

I think I would get the bunny you like and if you're not sure maybe neither are for you and you should wait for another Tri colour bunny or something that you get that feeling about.

With regards to the other points that have come up on the thread I'm going to stay out of it.

I don't really get the point in shows, so my honest opinion would be get the harli.

re the other stuff discussed... I have doubts that the breeder is actually good because a good breeder keeps rabbits in large enough enclosures/hutches. If they're kept in a commercial indoor cage (unless the cage door is usually open) then they must not have much room. I also have never heard of good breeders using wire. Putting some hay/straw/newspaper/etc over the wire and changing it out everyday surely couldn't take much time.

I know that some rabbits aren't stressed about going to shows and that people who show get their rabbits used to different situations early in life to ensure they're used to it and won't get stressed. It's like how many rabbits wouldn't be good jumpers and would be stressed about going to a jumping competition but not all are. However, I bet a good majority of rabbits shown do get stressed. Not all people who show are good. I guess that's beside the point if you know your own rabbits won't get stressed though.

And I disagree with neutering/spaying - it doesn't matter whether it's natural or not and it makes them live longer, happier lives.

The harli is super cute. Get her!
And, unfortunately, this has turned into another argumenti against breeding/showing.
I do agree that some rabbits are bound to get stressed at shows. I'd never bring a pregnant doe to one! Pregnant queens are disqualified in European cat shows, so I can't see why it should not be the same with rabbits that are so much more delicate when the time to give birth comes.
So my advice is: get the harli, see how much human loving or not she is, and how easily she will get stress, and according to that decide whether to show her or not.
If you want to breed her, at least consider spaying her after a few litters and bonding her to a mate. It will make her life as a pet not only longer, but also happier - unspayed does are often made territorial by their hormones, and they get very nervous. I can say so by experience, as most people in this forum also can. I won't go on about the advantages of bonding, but I swear I've seen a rabbit being bored to death, and that was my much loved Mango when he was a bachelor. :lol:

Have you ever even been to a proper rabbit show? I have, they have big cages, plenty of hay and water. They're not stressed, I've even seen a doe give birth at a show she wouldn't have done that if she were stressed. I know what I'm doing, I've shown rabbits before and they were just fine.

:shock: Seriously? Are you for real? It's quite likely that it was because she WAS stressed that she gave birth! It's well known that many women go into premature labour as a result of high stress levels!!

Anyone who has even a fraction of knowledge about rabbits knows that they dislike change, they are prey animals and therefore hide how they are feeling very well. You can't ask a rabbit if its stressed but in that sort of environment it almost certainly will be . I believe that responsible owners have a duty to minimise their pets stress levels as much as possible, not seek out ways to needlessly elevate them and increase the risk of health issues. Someone who genuinely cares and understands rabbits would not subject them to this sort of selfish showing off :evil:

I think what is difficult is that you are asking peoples opinions, but then going to use the rabbit chosen for something people do not approve of.

The rabbits themselves are both gorgeous, go with which ever one ur heart tells u to get.

I think they're all gorgeous but I have to say the "broken red" looks more like choc-tort to me, particularly around the ears, but it could be the photo / lighting etc

ETA i'm staying out of the rabbit show argument

My show animals are not treated like that. I've shown for years and have loved every animal I had. These will be the same. They're pets first and show animals second. And I don't like the idea of neutering animals. It's dangerous and unnatural.

Surely, showing is more unnatural than protecting them from cancers and other issues.

Too much wrong with this post... Just because you 'love' an animal, doesn't mean everything you are doing is in its best interests. A rabbit at a show can only be frightened, confused, uncomfortable and hungry (as I've seen they don't like to give hay because it'll mess them).

Society had evolved. Neutering may be 'unnatural' but then again, you are keeping a domesticated animal. Domestication in itself would be 'unnatural'. Neutering in rabbits calms their behaviour, prolongs their life and allows them to live happily with a life partner, without the stress and strains of producing multiple litters one after the other.

Neutering can be risky if the rabbit does have an underlying health issue but both mine came through it fine and I would say hundreds of rabbits here have come through it safely!!! Not to mention millions of cats and dogs all over the world since the procedures were perfected.

I usually don't reply to your posts because they just make me angry and I know the mods don't like it but I can't shut up on this one!!

I agree with this.

But get whichever one you want the most.

I recently went to bakewell show and there was a rabbit show. I was quite upset as alot of the rabbits didnt have any food but one of the people showing had hay in one of those dangly balls for his rabbits and they seemed much happier and I thought why can't they all have done this. I was really upset that they left them with no food and it was also very hot in the tent. I am not against showing and I would love to show one of my buns but I know it would stress him and I would be doing it for me not him but I love the idea.

I think the majority of people on here are into rescuing rabbits but we are all be on here because we have an interest in rabbits and shouldn't be rude to the OP as everyone has their own opinions on keeping rabbits.

I really don't agree with not neutering though my bunnies are much happier and get on much better since neutering otherwise there would be fights (and kits) all over the place.

Regards to which bunny to pick....they are all beautiful but I would pick the broken red....i love that pattern on buns!

I will never get the whole breeding and showing thing. They had a program on last week about tiny animals and they were showing two breeders at a show. I got angry when I saw how they handle the bunnies. The get plumped and prodded by complete strangers and I could help thinking that if that would have been Moses, he would be terrified!

There are plenty of buns needing a new home so I personally think they should restrict breeding. And the bun giving birth at a show?? :roll:
As if a woman in labour can decide where and when she'll give birth. Baby is coming whether you like it or not.

Choose the bun you like the look of and not think of them as a potential show object. They are living breathing creatures that deserve so much love, not so much prodding.

Back