• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

I learnt something new!

Rachel WD

Alpha Buck
I was trying out a new stockist the other day for rabbit food and so was questioning them about their piggy food whilst I was there. Now I've always been aware that piggy food costs more than bunny food but I've never known why. Well, the owner explained to me that in this country, rabbits are part of the food chain (whether we like it or not!) whereas guineas aren't and so VAT is added onto guinea food but not rabbit food. Interesting eh?

You'll probably all say 'I knew that' and make me feel stupid now but thought I'd share anyway.

Yes I didn't know that - can't see what difference being part of the 'food chain' makes - weird :?

Yes I didn't know that - can't see what difference being part of the 'food chain' makes - weird :?

There are quite complicated rules for VAT - certain foods (viewed more as necessities) are zero rated, whereas luxuries like chocolate will be standard rate.

Most meat is zero rated, as is the food fed to those animals. Still not sure why that should include pets but there you go. :? :lol::lol:

Back