• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch sizes

You are right, people do think rabbits are cheap pets. I do agree with you here, I hate seeing people procrastinate over going to the vets because its going to be expensive, money would be no object for me when it comes to health. But when you think about the materials involved and the tiny square footage, the money for a hutch is way too much :) I think what I'm trying to say is that you could spend £200 on your rabbit and get him so much more than a tiny box to live in.

Yes. I think I missed the point a bit here. People could find £200 for the vets but feel the hutches are over-priced for what they are, so not willing to pay the £200 for the hutch.

I've bought a couple of cheap hutches for run shelters and the manufacturers go on about them having fox proof wire but the sides are really thin (tongue and groove, yes but brittle) - a good kick would easily shatter the wood. Those hutches were supposed to be £80 and definitely not a good investment of that money for the rabbits' safety... not big enough either :(

It is horrible, but a lot of people don't mean to be cruel, they just don't understand :( My poor bunny lived in a 3.5ft for most of her life (which yes, I am very ashamed to admit now), because I didn't know any better. I was told it was a good size for a bunny and never thought there was any reason to doubt a pet shop.

I think more shops should be educated, and more people, so they know what is more suitable. Since joining forums, I have had my eyes wide open, and now know much better. I see fault in most of my 'friends' pets accomodation.

My girls now have a 6ft double hutch, and a 7ft run. They will also soon have full run of the shed as well. Even now I feel that is small for them and feel awful my last bunny was in such a small space :(

I know, you see these hutches everywhere so think it must be fine. When I was a kid my rabbits lived alone in hutches about that size, and if I hadn't found this site and the HRS website, my rabbit would be living alone in a 4ft x 2ft hutch with a 2ft by 2ft run attached :( but this is on the advice of pet shops AND books!! I agree totally, I thought pet shop workers must know EVERYTHING about rabbits because they sold them. And they should.

This is where the RSPCA recommendations for minimum hutch sizes needs to be taken a step further. Ideally, shops should not legally be allowed to sell anything under the recommended size, at least then the general public would be made well aware of the amount of space needed for a rabbit.

This wouldn't stop people from making their own housing, but at least people buying from petshops would only have the larger hutches to choose from and so ignorance about the rabbits need for space could then be addressed.

I agree that a lot of people still really aren't aware of rabbits basic needs and house their pets incorrectly through ignorance rather than deliberate cruelty. The perception that a rabbit is a pet at the bottom of the garden in a 3ft box is still rife even in this day and age. I still get people looking at me as though I am mad because Louie has the run of the house with no cage :roll:

I just wish we could somehow get the Government to take the next step to legally enforce the minimum hutch sizes but I don't know how this could be done.

Yes. I think I missed the point a bit here. People could find £200 for the vets but feel the hutches are over-priced for what they are, so not willing to pay the £200 for the hutch.

I've bought a couple of cheap hutches for run shelters and the manufacturers go on about them having fox proof wire but the sides are really thin (tongue and groove, yes but brittle) - a good kick would easily shatter the wood. Those hutches were supposed to be £80 and definitely not a good investment of that money for the rabbits' safety... not big enough either :(

yeah exactly :) I don't have much money, but every spare penny goes on my rabbits. i was prepared to give up spending on other stuff for my buns. hope i havent upset you! :)

I've seen similar hutches, in fact the vast majority of pet shop hutches look to me like they're ready to fall apart. the hutch I have, the fastenings are terrible, if you don't fasten them at an exact angle they open themselves. I'm reluctant to buy on the internet because of this - what if their hutches are as flimsy? i like to see things like this before I buy them. perhaps people could post good websites where they've found hutches in the housing section to help people out? the problem is though that would only help people on here who are already concerned rabbit owners :(

Hi folks:wave:
It's great to meet up with others on here who want to improve our bunnies lives out of all recognition.

If you pm Vicki-Vet & giveher your e-mail address she'll send you a poster about types of rabbit hutches via computer. It can be copied to other stites or printed & distributed as a poster.

Hoppit has a recent thread, asking members for their experience of the effect of cramped housing on buns & has written an article locally. If you can't find it on searches I'm sure she'd reply to a pm. There are many illness wich can be avoided completely as well as trajic psychological effects.

This year the Rabbit Welfare Association is going to try to improve things. I see our job as preparing the ground by increasing public awareness as much as we can, & consolidatating any impact by keeping up the "attack".

The cheapest way to get good outdoor bunny accommodation, is to make your own. The most expensive component by far is the stainless steel wire mesh for the run. DIY skills are minimal, but there needs to bethought about fox proofing. Parsnipbun has done alot of work on foxes/fox proofing for this forum & RWA.

I quietly suggest that as this thread unfolds, cross referrences to other source threads will help other folk interested in this subject later.

With every good wish in the world Judy.

I have seen on the RWAF website that they are currently targeting Argos. I think this is great! If the petshops only sell the correct size hutch it will
a) deter people who aren't willing to spend the money and get the right size, so less rabbits will go to unsuitable homes - when you see those 3ft hutches you must think you're just buying a giant hamster.
b) make sure that people who genuinely want the best for their rabbits actually can give them it.

It is just awful that pet shops can do this, if they were educated and giving out the right advice it would surely make rabbit welfare much better than it is today. I think a lot of people who end up with neglected rabbits have the best intentions, but are underestimating their needs and being encouraged by pet shop owners. I mean think of the massive profit they must make on those tiny bits of flimsy wood that already look dilapidated in the pet shop!!! there is no way £50-£80 pound was spent on the materials used to make them.

I always want to say something to my local pet shop but I bite my tongue. They now have 'rescue rabbits' though and I'm really concerned about them but have no idea what to do. I've posted about this in another thread but please PM me if you can help!

There was a thread on here the other day with a link to a template letter by RWF to send to Argos (it was maybe Thursday or Friday?) They've had a letter off me, anyway!:D

It does make you feel helpless, but even if you can only help one rabbit to have a better life then that is something good.

If ever I get feeling like that I remember my old school promise (many years ago, but it still makes me feel better about myself!)

I am only one, but I am one;
I cannot do much, but I can do something;
What I can do, that I ought to do;
What I ought to do, that, by God's help, I will do.

I can't take in more rabbits because I don't have the money, but I help various rabbit charities, even if its just with a few pounds occassionally. When my circumstances are better I will be able to do more, but in the meantime I remind myself that at least I am doing something.

Be positive about what you do do, and feel proud of yourself that you care:love:

Thats lovely. I really like this one, and often have to remind myself of it when I want to help everyone and everything!

One day a man was walking along the beach when he noticed
a boy picking something up and gently throwing it into the ocean.

Approaching the boy, he asked, “What are you doing?”

The youth replied, “Throwing starfish back into the ocean.
The surf is up and the tide is going out. If I don’t throw them back, they’ll die.”

“Son,” the man said, “don’t you realize there are miles and miles of beach and hundreds of starfish?
You can’t make a difference!”

After listening politely, the boy bent down, picked up another starfish,
and threw it back into the surf. Then, smiling at the man, he said…”
I made a difference for that one.”

I love both those quotes, will try to remember them when I get upset that I can't change the world :)

It's good that specific stores are being targetted especially one as large as Argos BUT it still needs to be made law that only the minimum RSPCA recommended hutches or larger can be sold by ANY retailer.

So, how do you go about trying to get a law passed? I really haven't got a clue where you would start! Is this already being pushed for by the RWAF?

Anyone got anymore info?

Last edited:
It's good that specific stores are being targetted especially one as large as Argos BUT it still needs to be made law that only the minimum RSPCA recommended hutches or larger can be sold by ANY retailer.

So, how do you go about trying to get a law passed? I really haven't got a clue where you would start! Is this already being pushed for by the RWAF?

Anyone got anymore info?

Don't know but it would be an interesting one to try if a prospective MP comes to ask who you are voting for.... I bet bunny hutch sizes aren't on anybody's manifesto :?

Don't know but it would be an interesting one to try if a prospective MP comes to ask who you are voting for.... I bet bunny hutch sizes aren't on anybody's manifesto :?

Yes! well done you, I will pose that question if anyone comes knocking, which they haven't yet.

It isn't just rabbit hutches though. Most small pet cages are horrible little prisons and shouldn't be produced. :(

The Rspca animal welfare standards aren't adhered to full stop by manufacturers. Syrian hamster cages should be minimum 80cm. But most people consider this size to be 'luxury' when it isn't - it's the minimum sized cage they should be living in. But modern cages such as the horrific Ovo range are nothing short of cruel in the amount of space they offer! Argos hamster cages and fish tanks are dreadful. :cry:

Even mice need a large cage to be able to live a normal, happy life but many people will happily buy something awful and think it's adequate.

Most 'rat cages' are actually about the right size for mice and hamster cages! It's the same with chinchillas etc too. Most cages that are readily available are far too small.

But yes - I was looking at Argos the other day and thought how awful it was that my hamsters had bigger cages than their so-called 'rabbit hutch'!! :evil:

Yes changing the law is a parliamentary matter.
We usually need a big push from the RSPCA, or similar well established authority, perhaps RWA. It would be great if the Veterinary College took an interest. We can then support the move by lobbying our individual MP's.

The trouble with a law is that it has to be easily enforceable. But I don't see an issue with hutch sale, as described as suitable for rabbits. It may even be possible that we don't need any more legislation, just a correct application of the legislation we've got.

Yes changing the law is a parliamentary matter.
We usually need a big push from the RSPCA, or similar well established authority, perhaps RWA. It would be great if the Veterinary College took an interest. We can then support the move by lobbying our individual MP's.

The trouble with a law is that it has to be easily enforceable. But I don't see an issue with hutch sale, as described as suitable for rabbits. It may even be possible that we don't need any more legislation, just a correct application of the legislation we've got.

It would be nice if pets shops were obliged to display a large poster with minimum hutch/cage sizes for each type of animal - it would be a start! Then perhaps some of the customers would question why they are selling unsuitable housing....and maybe they'd stock something more suitable as a result.

It would be nice if pets shops were obliged to display a large poster with minimum hutch/cage sizes for each type of animal - it would be a start! Then perhaps some of the customers would question why they are selling unsuitable housing....and maybe they'd stock something more suitable as a result.

I was an absolute novice when I got mine and was told by both the breeder I got them off and the pet shop - Pets at Home, that a 4x2 hutch was ample for two small rabbits. I took the advice I was given and bought a hutch they assured me was fine for my buns.

Duh!!!! One week later they had a 6x4 run attached as it became apparent that I was told a load of the preverbial!!!!!! A month later they had their condo and last week they got their shed extention!!

I can't believe I was so stupid not to realise that they needed so much more. I too get mad at the way poor little buns are kept when they are so obviously miserable in a hutch. I'm just focusing on making sure mine are well loved and looked after and I try to spread the word whenever I can. What else can you do?:cry:

Back