• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to deal with referred aggression?

esupi

Warren Veteran
I currently have two rabbits staying in a hutch in the shed, with attached external run.

One of my house rabbits, Fudge, is still venturing outside in the mornings (she doesn't seem to notice the cold and can come in and out as she pleases). She's very interested in the 'new' rabbits, and has been over to the run to investigate. This was fine when just one of the other rabbits was the other side of the mesh - they were just sniffing each other. But this morning both of the other rabbits were there, and it set them off chasing/fur pulling.

It's not an issue for the mornings, as I can just keep the outside rabbits in the hutch for the 10 minutes Fudge is outside, but on the weekends (and more importantly next summer) she'll be out for longer and I don't want to have to keep them in all that time. I don't want Fudge's routing to suffer because there are other buns around.

Does anyone have tips how to deal with this? Is it triggered by sight or smell or both? I'm wondering about putting perspex around the bottom of the run, but that won't work if just seeing Fudge will set them off. Would draping a blanket over while she's out work? Do I need something more robust - like a wooden screen, or maybe a second mesh several inches further back?

Any thoughts/ideas very welcome!
Thanks!

It can be triggered by sight, smell or hearing. Really, the only way to stop it is to work out what the trigger is for them (probably sight) and prevent them from seeng each other.

Covering the sides of the run when Fudge is there would be sensible, but really you should keep her away from them, so give that some thought too.

It can be triggered by sight, smell or hearing. Really, the only way to stop it is to work out what the trigger is for them (probably sight) and prevent them from seeng each other.

Covering the sides of the run when Fudge is there would be sensible, but really you should keep her away from them, so give that some thought too.

Thanks Sky-O. Would you mind clarifying what you mean by keeping her away - if the sides were covered so there was a physical barrier, would that not be enough? Do you just mean it needs something more than a blanket? Or that there needs to be space between them too?

Thanks.

If she is out for extended periods of time, and they are covered up then that's not ideal for them because obviously they need natural light.

I also tend to think that if a rabbit's presence is causing problems then it may be causing less obvious problems between them when she is near, even if she can't see them. It may cause them to be tenser and less happy when she is around.

However, it's totally your choice how to manage it and it may be something that settles, equally, it may not be; it just depends on the bunnies and reasons.

Yes that makes sense. I think you're right in that there may be a degree of trial and error to see what the triggers are and whether it settles. Although, I think a robust solution will be needed in the long run (these are fosters, so what works for these may not work for the next lot (assuming I don't fail!).

I wonder if something like a puppy pen with thin ply attached would be best - that way I'd have a solid moveable fence that I could put up to keep Fudge say 6 inches away from them - they wouldn't be able to see or smell her and their light wouldn't be restricted.

I'm trying to convince OH we need to move to a corner house with gardens on 3 sides, so they can each have their own garden (apparently this is an exteme solution...)

It's triggered by anything that makes them notice the presence of the others. The best way is to operate a double barrier with a couple feet in between. So that when one rabbit is right up to their barrier they are still not close to the other barrier and won't be noticed.

Yes that makes sense. I think you're right in that there may be a degree of trial and error to see what the triggers are and whether it settles. Although, I think a robust solution will be needed in the long run (these are fosters, so what works for these may not work for the next lot (assuming I don't fail!).

I wonder if something like a puppy pen with thin ply attached would be best - that way I'd have a solid moveable fence that I could put up to keep Fudge say 6 inches away from them - they wouldn't be able to see or smell her and their light wouldn't be restricted.

I'm trying to convince OH we need to move to a corner house with gardens on 3 sides, so they can each have their own garden (apparently this is an exteme solution...)

That sounds great!

I have dealt with this issue recently (though am no expert at all).

I tried to bond my pair with a single bun but it didnt work. My pair now have to share their room with the single bun. I divided the room woth NIC cubes and at first Pop & Pete would chase, hump etc which really worried me, also Poppy constantly followed Pixie up and down through the barrier and tried to nip her (the one time I was almost grateful Poppy has v.poor incisors).

It caused me a lot of stress but over a few days it all seemed to calm down. Fingers crossed all seem to be ok now (apart from Pixie seems sad to be seperated from the orhers which has ecalated to fur pulling which is another story), both Poppy & Peter will lie alongside Pix divided by the NIC cube.

So basically, from the little experience I have, it can just take a bit of time & getting used to. Perhaps some kind of divider so they cant nip each other may be useful for now if you cant watch them at all times.

I have dealt with this issue recently (though am no expert at all).

I tried to bond my pair with a single bun but it didnt work. My pair now have to share their room with the single bun. I divided the room woth NIC cubes and at first Pop & Pete would chase, hump etc which really worried me, also Poppy constantly followed Pixie up and down through the barrier and tried to nip her (the one time I was almost grateful Poppy has v.poor incisors).

It caused me a lot of stress but over a few days it all seemed to calm down. Fingers crossed all seem to be ok now (apart from Pixie seems sad to be seperated from the orhers which has ecalated to fur pulling which is another story), both Poppy & Peter will lie alongside Pix divided by the NIC cube.

So basically, from the little experience I have, it can just take a bit of time & getting used to. Perhaps some kind of divider so they cant nip each other may be useful for now if you cant watch them at all times.

This approach can be risky (because it can end in full on fighting and divorce, plus injuries), but it can work with rabbits that are constantly 'exposed' (although I've never done it), however, in a situation like this, where Fudge is there sometimes and not others you don't get the consistency to allow things to settle in any sort of quick way.

I would go along with what Stator says. I have a lot of rabbits and keping them away from pairs is difficult but double wiring with about 2 - 3 ft between works most of the time.

Thanks Stator, Janey and tonibun too. I think I need to have a play around with some puppy panels over the weekend and see what I can construct. Sadly, I'm not allowed anything permanent.

Can't believe they're such fussy little things!

Back