• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to bond independently

rachylou

Warren Veteran
We are thinking that for Jimby's sake this may well be a better idea and less stressful.

How did you do it?

Neutral small area with minimal things in - litter tray, water bottle. Put them in and watch closely for any signs of aggression. Circling normally leads to a full on fight. Let any chasing and fur nipping be as long as it's not too intense. Make sure you have some heavy duty gloves on hand (oh pun unintended) - gardening gloves and then oven gloves is what I used. Allow 48 hours to be able to watch them. You may have to stay up all night if they are aggressive. gradually increase the space and make sure their home is neutralised before putting them in it.

Erm, sure I have forgotten something!

I have limited knowledge however, so someone may pop up with better advice!

Last edited:
I agree with the above. small and neutral is the key. Dont change anything or expand their space too quickly as this can cause arguments

I have bonded at home twice sucessfully, it does partly depend on the buns.

I found the nic cube system really helped. When I wasn't confident about leaving them fully together, I could put two panels beween them so they weren't separated but couldn't get to each other either. It meant I could go out and/or leave them in the small pen overnight without worrying they would start fighting.

I think a small space is key. Plus, don't be afraid to go back a step in the process if you feel things are starting to go wrong.

I agree with the above. small and neutral is the key. Dont change anything or expand their space too quickly as this can cause arguments

I have bonded at home twice sucessfully, it does partly depend on the buns.

When I think about it I can't believe how many bonds I've done!

Mini and Mischa - done with indoor cages
Mini, Mischa and Nutmeg - done on the sofa!
Nutmeg and Smudge - done in the bathroom
and now all four - done downstairs and my bedroom with panels

I am still discovering new tricks to it all though.

Hmm, we live in a flat and although it is not small it is small enough that Jims has been in every room except the bathroom, which is really too small to do anything in.
Plus as he is an indoor bun we have built him an indoor cage which is where we were planning on putting them both once bonded, would that not work?

I'll let you in on a secret, I didn't neutralise my room before bringing them up here :oops: i figured the area they are in with a fresh duvet on the floor and panels up would mean that everything they were near was neutral anyway. I will do something when I let them have the whole room. Spray carpet and bottom of curtains with vinegar probably. But all the stuff the lops spent most of their time on before has been taken out.

I think it is better if you can do it at home, a lot less stressful for the buns concerned as it means moving them less and they stay in their own enviroment.

Saying that I sent mine off for bonding :lol: as I just didnt have the nerves for 4!

:shock: There is a lot involved!!
I do not know if we would be able to do it here as we do not have all that mcuh space and obviously EVERYTHING smells of Jimby.
But even our vet has advised to do it slowley at home as they feel him being away from home will stress him out too much.

I'll let you in on a secret, I didn't neutralise my room before bringing them up here :oops: i figured the area they are in with a fresh duvet on the floor and panels up would mean that everything they were near was neutral anyway. I will do something when I let them have the whole room. Spray carpet and bottom of curtains with vinegar probably. But all the stuff the lops spent most of their time on before has been taken out.

We did the same. Used an unneutral room but created a neutral space within it as this was the easiest room to observe in. We used a puppy pen on an offcut of lino from B&Q - worked great. Make sure all items in the bonding enclosure are neutral also.
There are different ways to do it successfully as long as you pay attention to the key issues and these are neutral space and not too large, and all buns being neutered. :)

There is no set way to do it. There are a variety of rules that are generally important but because all bunnies are different, there is room for leeway. I have never done any bonding completely identical to another.

I have bonding info in my website (link below, its under rabbit info articles), that provides the basic rules and some her things you can do and shouldn't do, etc, as well as language to look out for and stuff.

This is also a good guide to bonding. http://www.rabbitnetwork.org/articles/bond.shtml

Every bonding is different and should be treated differently, which is sometimes why it is better to let someone do it that sees lots of different ones and can spot the different behaviour.

There is definitely an argument for doing bondings at home in certain circumstances. I would suggest that if the bonder is really nervous about doing it, then this can transfer to the rabbits and make a difference to their behaviour. Bunnies pick up on our behaviour and can be affected by it in my opinion.

Rachael if you are able to do it with some measure of confidence, then you have nothing to loose by trying it at home. I think you will have to try really hard not to be too anxious as Jimby will possibly feel your anguish.

I would urge you not to get another rabbit for him from somewhere that won't take her back if it doesn't work or you will be left with two singles and that would be an even bigger problem as you have already said you are thinking about a friend for him but are thinking seriously because of the cost and space.

Having just failed for the second attempt to bond a bunny for a forum member who took her in with absolutely the best intentions of giving her existing bunny a friend, I know that not all bunnies will bond. I have tried different tricks with these two and also now tried the newer bun with another possible partner and it's not happening.

I would entirely recommend going to a good rescue such as Bobtails where Delia does all of the bondings on site and takes the greatest care of the rabbits.

Helen

I love your website Sky-O and it is very refreshing to see someone else suggest anything other than the 'once put together leave together' form of bonding that most others advocate on here. We used the second technique and it was extremely successful with minimum stress for our buns, and for many other pairs I know of as well.

What a fabulous website for potential adoptees :D:wave:

I would entirely recommend going to a good rescue such as Bobtails where Delia does all of the bondings on site and takes the greatest care of the rabbits.

Helen

I too recommend Bobtails as a fantastic rescue with a great deal of experience if you don't feel able to do it yourself :wave:

I love your website Sky-O and it is very refreshing to see someone else suggest anything other than the 'once put together leave together' form of bonding that most others advocate on here. We used the second technique and it was extremely successful with minimum stress for our buns, and for many other pairs I know of as well.

What a fabulous website for potential adoptees :D:wave:

Thanks :D I'm trying to get it rearranged a bit to get all the articles on different pages which should make access easier.

I've used a mix of the two types of bonding with mine, depending on the rabbit. Had I put either Sandy or Candyfloss in with prospective partners and not separated the bonds wouldn't have worked at all (and may well have killed Candyfloss in the process). So I'm always open to a variety of ideas, and encourage people to do what they think is best in the situation based on what they see (and what is best always varies depending on the situation).

Thanks :D I'm trying to get it rearranged a bit to get all the articles on different pages which should make access easier.

I've used a mix of the two types of bonding with mine, depending on the rabbit. Had I put either Sandy or Candyfloss in with prospective partners and not separated the bonds wouldn't have worked at all (and may well have killed Candyfloss in the process). So I'm always open to a variety of ideas, and encourage people to do what they think is best in the situation based on what they see (and what is best always varies depending on the situation).

and in terms of what they can provide spacewise, timewise, and of course what they feel most comfortable doing.

Yes I think it would be great if you could click on an article and it take you to a new page - or drop you down to the relevant part of the page. But some wonderful advice and photos on there. :)

I like the idea of 'Bunny dating' I think that may be a good way to go to begin with before putting them in together.
Here is the idea, would this work?

If I build another NIC house same size as Jimby's and split it down the middle, so they both have one side with their own food, drink, potty and hay box, pop them in there for during the day then they go in to their own houses for the night, repeat again the following day and see how they get on, if they are showing friendly interest in each other and not looking agressive, take the divider out on the third day and see how they get on together then seperate again at night and put them both back in together the next day.
Then go from there and maybe on the 4th-5th day put them in to Jimby's house (Which will be cleaned) to live together?

Back