• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much hay do you get through?

Finding a source of bales

Try asking horsey people - they usually know where to get the traditional style of bale. Modern round bales are HUGE - you need the traditional sort.

Ah ok, I'm near Bexley and I go a horse place in Sidcup/Chistlehurst just on the border of London and Kent. Would that be too far for you?

Here's their website anyway - they're main business is horses so most of the website is around that but this page is their address and opening times.

http://www.frogpool.com/contact-frogpool.html

hi schuette!
thanks for that link! its perfect around 20-30mins drive for me! How much you pay and what type of hay you get?

thanks
zincee

hi schuette!
thanks for that link! its perfect around 20-30mins drive for me! How much you pay and what type of hay you get?

thanks
zincee

The hay is very good usually - mine love it anyway! Some bales can be dusty though so sometimes I lay a tarp out on the grass and take out a bit of the bale and give it a good shake and leave it out for 20 minutes before bagging it in old Megazorb sacks.

As for price, it is about £6 for a meadow bale which is a little on the expensive side but it lasts my four between a month and two months and is cheaper than pet shops! They also do rye bales. I've only got these once when they were out of meadow hay and they are slightly more and the bales seem slightly smaller. Megazorb is about £7.50. I also get Burns Dandelion and Plantain at about £1.50 each and SS for about £3.50 for a medium bag.

I also know that there is another place in Wilmington (about 5 minutes further into Kent) that I've been told about but I've never actually been there.

The hay is very good usually - mine love it anyway! Some bales can be dusty though so sometimes I lay a tarp out on the grass and take out a bit of the bale and give it a good shake and leave it out for 20 minutes before bagging it in old Megazorb sacks.

As for price, it is about £6 for a meadow bale which is a little on the expensive side but it lasts my four between a month and two months and is cheaper than pet shops! They also do rye bales. I've only got these once when they were out of meadow hay and they are slightly more and the bales seem slightly smaller. Megazorb is about £7.50. I also get Burns Dandelion and Plantain at about £1.50 each and SS for about £3.50 for a medium bag.

I also know that there is another place in Wilmington (about 5 minutes further into Kent) that I've been told about but I've never actually been there.

thanks schuette excellent advice! seems liek my supply is sorted.
I just found out I got a farm near me as well in mudchute! I might try and ask them as well

Back