• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How much do you spend...

I feel like a cheapskate :oops: :lol:

I think them getting stuff from the garden/allotment and the offcuts from our stuff really helps. They get a salad spinner's worth every day between them. I think that holds about three litres worth.

The price of 2 carrots per week ! All the rest of their food is hay, a small bowl of pellets and their main 'greens' are daily hand picked wild leaves (free !!).

I go the carboot and visit the veg stands :) Always leave with a binbag full of ugly spring greens for free :D Works out well as we have a midweek one on Wednesday and about 4 to chose from on a Sunday morning :lol:

I spend $20 a week on veggies for 5 guinea pigs and 2 buns. That gets me 3 or 4 gourmet lettuces, 1 cos lettuce, 6 capsicums (3 diff colours), parsley, bok choy, cherry tomatoes and carrots. In addition, they get veggies I don't use all of - so it may be some cucumber, or a bit of broccolli, the corn husks and silks and occasionally a slice of fruit. I also get a couple other veggies to rotate through for variety - rocket, raddichio and silverbeet are examples. Also if something is on special and still great quality I usually pick that up too. I get all veggies from a fresh fruit & veg market..I get things cheaper there and they are a better quality.

Im in and out of Sainsburys like a fiddlers elbow!! and I have no idea how much they actually get or what I spend.If I have the money, they get what I can.Not to mention peelings from a neighbour, but I do select out of it.
carrots with tops on, celery, spring greens, kale, rocket, spinach, watercress, mint, basil, coriander, dill...
I pick dandylions, they help themselves to whats in the garden like brambles, nettles, the lawn.
I have 4 bunnies.You'd think I starve them.:lol:

About £3 a week or so on spring greens, broccoli, carrot, mint, basil, rosemary and dill.

The piggies on the other hand!!! DON'T EVENT START ME ON THE PIGGIES!!! Veg guzzlers!!

I just went and bought some veg. Normally Mum gets it but we'd run out so I nipped up Asda.

I got:

two packs of spring greens - two in a pack
three small packs of Basil
one parsley pot
one small pack of mange tout

For £3.21

:thumb:

Everything was reduced except the spring greens as they only have a couple of days left on them or the packets had broken, but that little lot plus trimmings from our dinner will last about four days.

Back